Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 07:32 PM

Sassismom is on a distinguished road
Dividing a cymbidium

Is there a sticky for dividing a cymbidum before repotting?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,354 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
No I don't think there is Cheryl
if someone would take some pics on that I would be more than happy to make that Sticky.
I have not divided any this season as I prefer lager sized plants for showing
I am sure we will get some pics up for you soon.

dividing Cyms is pretty easy though. lol once one knows how that is.

there are a few members that have divides there cyms not to long ago I am sure they will answer soon as well

there are a few ways you can divide your cym tap the edge of the pot on a hard surface to get the plant out of the pot if you have a big mass of roots you can cut through them with a knife a hand saw or an axe depending how big the plant is
the old psbulbs can be removed any dead roots can also be removed just remember when dividing your cym I like to keep at least one psbulb without leaves and 3 to 4 growth as well or just divide into 2 plants that way you will still get the next flowering season.

just put some Sulpha D powder on any cuts that you do or use cinnamon

myself I use Sulpha D powder.
also sterilize all tools before use and after use.
zaeem (01-06-2012)
Old 08-05-2008, 08:02 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,449 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
not that I know of
Old 08-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
I hope that another member has some pics to share as all my cyms are in spike at the moment other wise I would divide one and take pics for you to see how its done.
zaeem (01-06-2012)
Old 08-05-2008, 11:17 PM

Thanks Fred, I love them big too, but I asked because one has a lot of dead sbulbs, that I'd like to remove. After it's done blooming that is. Maybe I can find it in one of my books.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:25 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
Now I thought there was a video somewhere on here that had a crazed man with a matchete hacking Cyms at lightning speed? :hmmm: I have no idea where it's at now, but I know it's here.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Executive Senior Member

Hummer344 is on a distinguished road
Gee's I should have taken pictures when I did mine last spring. Mine were all root bound and hadn't been re-potted for over 5 years. Getting them out of the pots was the first chore. After that it was brut force combined with a matchete. What a job. I kept each plant in tact as much as possible and re-potted in new mix. With the divisions I kept as much growth as possible plus 2 back bulbs. This gave me a lot of plants so I digarded the really small growths. Since that mass re-potting I have only lost one of the divisions & now have two spikes on two different plants. One plant usually blooms in the summer but the other plant is new to summer spiking. Curiously enough, both are yellow but are not the same variety.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:55 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

OMG I found the thread!!!! I titled the thread: Help!!! Cymbidium Cement Block (roots)

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:55 PM

Thanks Jenny for going to all the trouble of finding that for me, but unfortunately the video is no longer available. But I did get lots of good suggestions from all the posts.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:55 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Try this

Let me know if the video works, cause I can see it fine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to articuno75 For This Useful Post:
BGGraham1 (03-18-2011), zaeem (01-06-2012)
Old 08-07-2008, 01:36 AM
Site Administrator

thanks Jenny
I have seen that before and personally i would not make small divisions like in the video as they would take to long to flower.
but over all a good guide
Old 08-07-2008, 02:10 PM

Nope, I still get the same message when I go to play it...sorry, this video is no longer available.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:05 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

You might have to go to You Tube and look up "Brian the Orchid Guy" and "Cymbidium"

Old 08-08-2008, 02:09 PM

Jenny it finally worked for me today...thank you again.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:14 PM

Witchypoo is on a distinguished road
I know this is an old post, but yes, it worked for me just now.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:38 PM

Jones is on a distinguished road
and it's still working
Old 01-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Executive Senior Member

PaulB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassismom View Post
Thanks Fred, I love them big too, but I asked because one has a lot of dead sbulbs, that I'd like to remove. After it's done blooming that is. Maybe I can find it in one of my books.
Just noticed this post. The "dead" sbulbs you are referring to- are they really dead or have they just lost all their leaves? Dead ones will be dried out and when snipped will show no green tissue inside. If they are still plump and hard, they should be left alone. Backbulbs should always remain with the plant and if repotting, make sure you have at least two to three with the division. Backbulbs feed the growing plant.

If you end up with a backbulb all by itself, even with no roots, you can plant it and it may take some time (2-3 years), but it will start a new plant.

Last edited by PaulB; 01-02-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Executive Senior Member

zaeem is on a distinguished road
Thanks.Very useful I had watched it again.