Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 07:20 PM

Jerry Delaney is on a distinguished road
Disas in Bakersfield?

Some ask to let them know how the Disas do in sunny, warm (100 today), dry (RH was 8% a few days ago), Bakersfield. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here we go!
Attached Thumbnails
sh062008a-031.jpg  
Old 06-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Wow, I had not even considered a Disa before this. Do you have them outside, and could you tell us a little about how you grow them? I think they are beautiful, but was sure with my crazy weather I would kill them. I thought that it was a plant I would have to admire, and never own.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:56 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
Jerry that is very pretty. I'm with Brook. Please tell how it is grown so that I can see if I can get one eventually. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Executive Senior Member

patlee is on a distinguished road
IMHO, Disas are one of the most beautiful orchids grown They are supposed to be a bit tempermental,though. Is there one that is easier than the others so I could experiment? Please tell us more about yours--do you grow in a GH or just your basement? Does it need intense light? How are your winters as far as light and temperatures

PAT
Old 06-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

arleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rough
Pat,

From what I heard, yellow Disas are a bit more difficult to grow than the other colors. I had one and didn't do well. However, my Disa uniflora (red) and others (pinkish to reddish colors) are still around.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:40 PM

I am really unsure how I should respond to the above questions. I don't want anyone to think that I am unwilling to share ANY information or guidance pertaining to orchid culture on any genera. However, take a peek at the attached pictures. I just took these pictures today and, unfortunately, I have more Disas that resemble the last two pictures than the first two. I am still in the learning phase of growing this genera and I don't want to give out information that might lead forum members (especially newer members) to copy what I have done to date since my success rate is really not acceptable at this time. Instead, I will list the URL for Wally Orchard's web site as that is where I found the basics of Disa culture. Also, if someone is just really itching to join me in killing a Disa or two, if you send me a PM I will reply in detail what little bit of knowledge I have gained about growing these cantankerous critters. I do hope those of you that expressed an interest in these plants will forgive me for not replying on the forum. Here is Wally's site.

Wally Orchard, Afrodisa Home Page
Attached Thumbnails
disa-062208-001.jpg   disa-062208-004.jpg   disa-062208-005.jpg   disa-062208-006.jpg  
Old 06-23-2008, 12:39 AM

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Hee hee is the last pot representative of a Disa no longer with you? I think you are being too humble, a bloom is a celebration of doing something right lol. I am off to check out that link now, thanks!
Old 06-23-2008, 01:19 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 4,326 Times in 1,614 Posts
Orchidementia is on a distinguished road
The first three look fine to me! Is the last one one of those new invisible orchids?
Old 06-23-2008, 01:21 AM

Yeah Brookn. Perhaps I should have made a little tombstone for it with R.I.P. on it!
Old 06-23-2008, 02:15 AM

Well, I think I will wait to see what you have to say in the future about maintaining the culture. From what I just read, they seem more labor intensive than I can do at the time. I am just a newbie to orchids, and have just mastered (sort of) Phals. and Oncs. with a few miscellaneous others for now. These still seem very daunting. Also having 2 kids, pets, work, and getting my degree, it leaves the chids with their fair share of neglect at times. I am patient enough though, to see what your comments are in the long run on these! They are certainly very lovely. No R.I.P and tombstone is necessary, though Shaon had one on a Dend. that was eaten by her dog, and it was very cute.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:29 AM
Executive Senior Member

tom499 is a jewel in the roughtom499 is a jewel in the roughtom499 is a jewel in the rough
VERY nice Disa =) I love the vibrant reds.

For me, growing Disa couldn't be easier, as the UK has a near perfect climate. All thats left to do is keep the saucer topped up with rain water (even my parents can do that )

These plants certainly have their needs, but slight fluctuations in these isn't necessarily a cue for death.

And their certainly worth the effort