Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hummer344

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 07:20 AM

flowerchild is on a distinguished road
Cymbidium Leaves yellowing

Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong with my noid cymbidiums? I have had them since March and the leaf tips are going brown and some of the leaves have yellowed and died. They are in low to medium light and get watered really well once a week, and misted a couple of times a week. They are huge about 3 feet tall and were b-day presents, so I really would like them to survive. I think I may put them out on my deck, but will have to bring in at night as we are still getting some frost at night. Now today is supposed to be sunny and about 10- 12 C, is this warm enough to put outside for the day? Help I need some advice on these guys!!!!! Everything else I have is starting to take off, their spring growth is going nicely, I have to, no I MUST master the growth for these cymbidiums, they will not get the better of me!!!!!!!!!! HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cindy aka flowerchild
Old 05-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Member Photobucket

Danelady is on a distinguished road
Cyms need more light than it sounds like these are getting. I put mine outside when night time temps were consistently in the 40's F. I understand they can take even lower temps, but I'm not that brave, yet. They can take a lot of direct light, but start them out in the shade when you first put them out.
I'm sure some more experienced folks will chime in soon!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Hummer344 is on a distinguished road
Cyms like a lot of light and are one of the heavier feeders. Also, they can take very large temp. changes. They can tolerate temps down to 35F then have to be protected. Right now my cyms get direct sun until 0930 or so then strong filtered light the rest of the day. Here they stay out year around. I water them once a week, more if its very hot. Your temps are much different than mine but I am sure you get the idea. I have dying leaves and I don't worry about it unless there are more than one or two. Usually its the cycle of life thing. The burnt tips may be normal or it could be a sign of to much fertilyzer (orrrrr?). How long since you repotted the plants. If you have never repotted them it would probably be a good idea to do that. Now would be a good time. They like to be crowded. Cut off any dead roots, any pseudobulbs that are soft or mushy and put them into: the next larger pot, orrr after trimming the roots and pseudobulbs the plant might well fit back into the pot they came out of.
Hope that helps
catlanhoa likes this.