Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fred
  • 1 Post By siriusmk
  • 1 Post By kmarch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,354 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
Cym flower spike or growth ?

I thought this thread would be good for showing our Novice members just what a flower spike looks like and what a new groth looks like.

All questions and pics can go into this thread.

showing a flower spike

same plant showing a new growth

showing a flower spike

same plant showing a new groth
Roxy likes this.
2woodensticks (01-22-2013), aowlqi (01-23-2012), ceciyang (03-12-2012), CherylT (07-12-2012), dounoharm (04-20-2011), Olive Cook (09-02-2010), orkidea (07-20-2011), Schlyne (05-17-2010), Susie11 (04-22-2013), tina jacobs (06-30-2009), zaeem (09-04-2010)
Old 05-16-2007, 09:51 PM

siriusmk is on a distinguished road
The flower spike and new growth look so similar. I hope I will be able to distinguish between the two if my cymbidiums flower next year. Someone told me that they need to be kept outside in the fall right before the first frost in order for the orchid to initiate a spike.
Soulcatcher157 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to siriusmk For This Useful Post:
dankr (10-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2007, 10:31 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,449 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, siriusmk, initially a cymbid spike and growth look very similar. I have a friend who has probably 150 Cymbidiums who jokes that half of the spikes he stakes turn out to be growths not spikes at all, then he has to go around and pull out half the stakes he's put in.

I can say that for my Cymbids, after a few weeks a flower spike starts to fatten out towards the tip as the buds start to fatten up inside the sheaths. At this point it becomes much easier to tell the difference.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
aowlqi (01-23-2012), ceciyang (03-12-2012), dankr (10-16-2012), zaeem (09-04-2011)
Old 05-17-2007, 06:52 AM

Location: Bucharest, Romania, EU, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe,...
orchid_lord is on a distinguished road
Thanks for putting the pic, fred . Now i know that i have only new growths (unfortunately)...
Old 05-17-2007, 08:31 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Vivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really nice
Thanks Fred! I have lots of new growth (lots being 2-3 per plant). I know they need to go outside, but Colorado weather is extremely unpredictable. How long to do they need to go outdoors for - weeks, months?
The Following User Says Thank You to Vivienne For This Useful Post:
ASP (12-31-2013)
Old 05-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
I will let some of our US members answer that question for you as my cyms are outside in an green house.

So my orchids only get watered and air movment from me.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:05 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,278 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
There's a squeeze test too, I find that quite accurate.

When you gently squeeze a spike, it is very firm, whereas a new growth feels spongy. BUT don't squeeze hard !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anton For This Useful Post:
ceciyang (03-12-2012), funktified (04-26-2012)
Old 05-17-2007, 09:27 AM
V.I.P Member

kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
kmarch + squeezing delicate plant parts = carnage

I wouldn't dare trust myself to gently squeeze a Cymbid spike.
U-WUS likes this.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:31 PM

DDS2007 is on a distinguished road
i had the exact same question a week ago , thank u for demonstrating with pics!
Old 05-17-2007, 10:10 PM
V.I.P Member

pikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nice
yea, the squeeze test is very effective. I just tried it.

Now what do I do with the piece in my hand?

Just joking

( I hope I did not give Anton a heart attack!!)

All my plants are putting out new growths. Some even 5 or 6 , each.

I don't want to post some photos showing robust growth since it may be boring .
Old 05-17-2007, 10:18 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Vivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really nice
LOL pikevi - that was funny! I needed a laugh.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:42 AM

Tess1 is on a distinguished road
I was told that the new spikes when they come up are round, and that new growth is flat. I shall state here that that is a fallacy, more than half of my round new "spikes" are in fact new growth, but hey, all the flat new growth is indeed new growth.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:51 AM
V.I.P Member

I don't know where the round spike bit came from, all of my spikes and new growths look exactly the same when they first emerge, then as they lengthen, after a few weeks, those that are spikes start to swell or fatten-up towards the tip while those that are growths stay very thin and pointed. That's how I tell the difference. The only draw back is that I have to wait about another 2-3 weeks after I first spot them before I can tell what they're going to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
dankr (10-16-2012)
Old 09-18-2007, 01:21 AM

I got all that fabulous info from an orchid club I used to belong to. It was fun, but when we moved I had no orchids anymore, so stopped going to the club. Now that I am ready to join again the club has also moved to a new location, a bit too far for me to travel. Pity that.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:41 AM

Talking of new spikes..... I broke one off accidentally, cry..
Ah well, there is one flower-spike left, and I shall post a piccie as soon as I have taken one.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Executive Senior Member

Hummer344 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
Thanks Fred! I have lots of new growth (lots being 2-3 per plant). I know they need to go outside, but Colorado weather is extremely unpredictable. How long to do they need to go outdoors for - weeks, months?
In the nice climate we have in the San Francisco bay area, the cooler the fall, the better the bloom. I figure that if they get a nice stretch of night time temps below 50, generally in sept, then they will bloom better for me. This year its been a cool summer and fall and I already have spikes on a couple of plants. I am hoping that this will be a banner year for cym flowers. Last year we had a hot summer & warm fall. My cym's didn't bloom well at all. I would think that it might be getting a little late in CO to leave them out overnight very often. I think a week or two of cool weather would be enough get the plant to set spikes.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:28 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanks Hummer. I've had them outside for 2 weeks and then it dropped below freezing. They have now been moved to the garage. I'm debating putting them back outside again but our temps have been all over the place. Highs in the high 70s and Lows in the 30s and 40s. (Farenheit).
Old 10-09-2007, 02:22 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
I grow my cyms outside all year and last winter we got down to the high 20's overnight for several nights in a row. My cyms did fine. I had them grouped closely together under a tree. Lots of new growths this summer; I don't worry about them anymore.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:32 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I didn't know it got quite that cool in Orange County. Learn something new every day! I'm a nervous nelly about orchids outside in Colorado, but hey, it's worth a shot. I sure won't see them spiking if I keep them in my atrium year round, right!?!
THANKS!
Old 10-09-2007, 02:41 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
Vivienne- Cyms grow great here with a temp variance of 30-100 degrees. Best part is, it only seems to be winter at night!! It will be 70-80 during the day, and 30 that night. Of course we all think we are going to die. It's not the usual, but we get several stretches of 30's at night during the winter. Cyms just thrive in it.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Anton, your squeeze test seems to give different results than mine. I've noted, if firm, it is a growth, and if the tip collapses, it is a spike, because the flower buds are blunt, leaving the pointed tip empty. Maybe we are testing at different stages of growth.

Prescott Orchid Society
Old 04-24-2008, 12:28 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
Yes, I agree. Cymbidiums love the cool nights. Although in my area if the temp. drop under 30 degrees in the winter, I will put up tarps to block the wind and having them against the wall of the house helps. Sometimes I also cover them with plant blankets as well.

Hummer344,
This year my cymbidiums are doing much better than last too. I divided almost all my Cyms. last summer and most are blooming now.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:57 AM

Kassey77 is on a distinguished road
Once the growth is about 4cm (1.5inches) long, if you gently squeeze the tip and it feels hollow - it's a spike. It almost feels like a pea-pod as you can feel the rounded buds underneath through the entire length of the spike.Now a slightly more pressing question... Sydney has had so much rain that some of my spikes stop growing and rot from the inside! One plant will have a healthy spike and another spike on the same plant could be rotten. Any ideas on how I can stop that?? It's not that cold - maybe 14 degrees at night and they're under cover (on the balcony) but it's still very humid.
The photos are all spikes, you can see the definite roundness in the first one.
Attached Thumbnails
24042008452_edited.jpg   24042008449_edited.jpg   24042008450_edited.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Kassey77 For This Useful Post:
Schlyne (11-03-2009)
Old 04-24-2008, 03:57 AM
Site Administrator

with the 3 rd pic is that the one you think mat be rotten ? the spike on the right ?

I don't think it is rotten if thats the spike you are referring to.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:06 AM

No, on the right I have 2 very healthy spikes coming through. The rotten ones I have removed!! (I hope that won't affect the bulb) They grow to be about 5cm long and then they stop and turn into a more yellow green, and when I gently peel the protective tissue, the inside is just brown and damp. It doesn't really have the bad fungal smell, but they are rotten none the less. I've treated all my plants with Yeats Anti Rot a few times since Feb at 6-weekly intervals.
PS. it's probably a stupid question, but there are 3 buds on the middle spike, it that it or are there going to be more flowers?
Old 04-24-2008, 04:27 AM
Site Administrator

thats not really a stupid question you may get another spike as I had a few cyms last year that put out a second set of spikes.

I wait the with the removal of the protective sheath until the last flower bud is clear
then I remove the sheath very gently and slowly
Old 04-24-2008, 04:54 AM

I have some nail scissors and tiny metal forceps when I remove the sheath, I've only done it on the spikes that I suspected to be rotting and unfortunately they were all rotten. One small plant had 3 spikes, one of them is going great (buds pushed through the sheaths) and the other 2 have rotted. Wouldn've been great to have all three and I hope there is some simple way of fixing my problem!
Old 04-24-2008, 05:26 AM
Site Administrator

I have all my cyms under clear laser light with 70% shade cloth
they only get watered by me alot of work yes but worth it
I also know alot of orchid growers that water by hand when there cyms are in spike.
that is for 2 reasons number one so the spikes don't rot and number two is so that there is no damage due to watering may cause on the buds or flowers as the growers that i know here all show there orchids.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:57 AM

I only water by hand too, my balcony does not receive rainwater. I always to take care to avoid watering the spikes and shoots. I'm thinking that the humidity we're experiencing is a little high for the air temperature and the ratio is off. At the moment it's 93% humidity and 17 degrees!! It's quite breezy and there's great air movement but it's must not be enough. It's been like this for 2 weeks!
Old 04-24-2008, 06:30 AM
Site Administrator

cyms need the good air flow that is high at 93%
are you able to set up a fan to keep a steady air flow ?
Old 04-24-2008, 08:11 AM

My apartment is quite high up and there's always a breeze and their leaves are always moving. I assumed that's enough air flow! Our shocking weather is due to break tomorrow, maybe my later bloomers will come through unscathed.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:47 PM

Sassismom is on a distinguished road
I've also noticed if you gently squeeze a flower spike you can feel the buds inside. Mine should be bursting open any day now. (I know I've said that before) I guess beauty just take time to get here.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Member Photobucket

christinek is on a distinguished road
Along with the sqeeze test.. I've noticed that once the spike gets growing.. It's more identifyible because it looks like it has like a husk around it. Where as normal new growth of cymbidium does not. But this happens only after the spike has reached a certain stage.. Like lets say about 2 to 3 inches of growth. Another thing is that the ants love new flower spikes as soon as they come up. The spikes no matter how small.. Put off a natural sugar that naturally draws ants and keeps them growing freely..

Just my two cents..
Old 08-18-2008, 06:27 PM

Jerry Delaney is on a distinguished road
I sure would not recommend that anyone do anything like this on purpose, but for those wondering just how tough these plants can be, take a look here - January 14 Freeze

Jerry

Don't run any more tests. The data do not support my conclusions!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 07:10 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
Jerry, that was the same freeze that killed all my intermediate orchids. Good thing all the cyms. survived with just a few leaves that got frost damage. That was some crazy weather. hope we don't have a repeat anytime soon.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:56 PM

Ben G is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinek View Post
Along with the sqeeze test.. I've noticed that once the spike gets growing.. It's more identifyible because it looks like it has like a husk around it. Where as normal new growth of cymbidium does not. But this happens only after the spike has reached a certain stage.. Like lets say about 2 to 3 inches of growth. Another thing is that the ants love new flower spikes as soon as they come up. The spikes no matter how small.. Put off a natural sugar that naturally draws ants and keeps them growing freely..

Just my two cents..
its probaly becus the ants will attack pests. but be carefull the ants will also protect the aphids
Old 09-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Executive Senior Member

zaeem is on a distinguished road
CYM.Will they ever flower??

Attached Thumbnails
orchids-in-bloom0123.jpg   orchids-in-bloom0124.jpg  
Old 04-17-2011, 12:13 PM

ARANDO is on a distinguished road
it's starting to get cold for about 2 weeks now the night temps are about 10 celcius and 25 in the day , how long do cymbidiums need the cold before they spike , mine is making new growth but no spikes - i would also like to know cymbidium dorothy stokstill forgotten fruit, is also making new growth but no spikes, and there is not much information on cymbidium dorothy stokstill forgotten fruit when you google the name
Old 04-17-2011, 07:40 PM
V.I.P Member

Just go to AOS | Members Only Area and get a cymbidium culture sheet. By the way, orchid hybrid names are capitalized. They need a month or so of cooler temps then they'll start spiking. We've had approximately that here in Melbourne Australia and just yesterday I found new spikes on 4 of my cymbidiums.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
zaeem (04-20-2011)
Old 04-20-2011, 05:53 PM

Musika is on a distinguished road
I am a newbie and I could not really see a difference LOL
Old 05-26-2011, 05:16 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 3,231 Times in 1,555 Posts
BGGraham1 is on a distinguished road
I know this is an older post, but I seem to have gotten myself confused. What I have on one of my NOID Cyms are two growths on two separate pbulbs facing each other. They look different from each other - one is really plump with what appears to be armor-looking wrapping all along the bottom. The other one is much slimmer with less of the armor.

Here are some photos. I am also including a shot of my mom's Cym with what I am almost positive is a new spike:
Here is the face-off

This is the slimmer of the two that I am wondering about

This is the plump one that I'm pretty sure is a new growth

This is my mom's Cym (that I got for her while her other one is in my rehab unit pretty sure this is a spike

http://brigittesorchids.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to BGGraham1 For This Useful Post:
zaeem (08-07-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 10:16 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,278 Times in 798 Posts
pikkumyy is on a distinguished road
I got this from a friend earlier this year, and its my first cym. and all its done so far, is just sit there in my shadehouse and do nothing, so today when i went in and had a closer look at all my plants, i was so excited to see this...... thing, growing near the front of the plant, and i was just wondering what everyone's opinion was as to whether it was a growth or spike, both would be GREAT.

p.s. sorry about the lopsided picture's the forum seems to only like my pictures in landscape
Attached Thumbnails
img_0400.jpg   img_0401.jpg   img_0402.jpg  

The minute you stop learning is the minute you stop living

My friends and family call it an obsession, i call it an interesting hobby

My Blog: my-patch-of-heaven.blogspot.com.au/

Last edited by pikkumyy; 08-06-2011 at 10:18 AM. Reason: added p.s.
The Following User Says Thank You to pikkumyy For This Useful Post:
zaeem (08-07-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Executive Senior Member

To me from 2 Cyms.I have these are new growth?
Thanks for photos.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:08 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkumyy View Post
I got this from a friend earlier this year, and its my first cym. and all its done so far, is just sit there in my shadehouse and do nothing, so today when i went in and had a closer look at all my plants, i was so excited to see this...... thing, growing near the front of the plant, and i was just wondering what everyone's opinion was as to whether it was a growth or spike, both would be GREAT.

p.s. sorry about the lopsided picture's the forum seems to only like my pictures in landscape

so does anyone have any ideas???

Old 08-13-2011, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,653 Times in 2,209 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road
That could very well be a spike as it looks more rounded than flat like a growth. So just keep an eye on it and keep us posted.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000209739937
The Following User Says Thank You to sunshine For This Useful Post:
pikkumyy (08-13-2011)
Old 08-13-2011, 11:00 AM
V.I.P Member

Hi Michael. The tip looks pointed to me- I'll say new growth.

pikkumyy (08-13-2011)
Old 08-17-2011, 05:59 PM
V.I.P Member

Since I am pretty much hyper-vigilant about all of my orchids, I thought I would try to track a couple of growths on my NOID Cym. They look very different to me, so here goes.

The first one is on what appears to be a mature, but newer p'bulb at the 'back' of the pot. This growth appears to be rounded on top, which I haven't seen before.

The next pics are of other growths that are becoming familiar. They appear to be pointed on top. Others that have started out this way have grown up to be new growths.

So, there they are. I will follow up next month to note progress. A lot of posts around the 'net have growths starting at 3-4 inches. Since some of us look a little too close sometimes I thought this would be interesting to follow.

zaeem (09-04-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 01:29 PM

Cym Ladye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaeem View Post
When leaves are that green the plants will not bloom unless you give them more light. Cyms need to have more light than they can get inside a house and the leaves should be a light almost yellow green. Put them outside in the spring in 50/50 sun as soon as all danger of frost is past (gradually acclimate), and bring them in as the fall frosts start. Cyms are hardier than you think and can take up to 8 hours at 28 degrees F. before serious damage occurs. Buds and spikes are more tender and I do not recommend taking them much below freezing but they can take it for several hours.

In the "spike or growth" question, at 2-3 inches in length, in my experience, spikes generally are rounder in form, feel soft at the tip and do not "fan out".

I hope this helps.

CL

Last edited by Cym Ladye; 08-23-2011 at 01:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cym Ladye For This Useful Post:
zaeem (09-04-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 01:46 PM

Cym Ladye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARANDO View Post
it's starting to get cold for about 2 weeks now the night temps are about 10 celcius and 25 in the day , how long do cymbidiums need the cold before they spike , mine is making new growth but no spikes - i would also like to know cymbidium dorothy stokstill forgotten fruit, is also making new growth but no spikes, and there is not much information on cymbidium dorothy stokstill forgotten fruit when you google the name
Dorothy Stockstill 'Forgotten Fruit' is considered a Novelty sized Cymbidium (smaller plant and flower size). It is grown like other cyms but as it blooms a bit later in the season, it tends so send up its growth later too. It is a rapid grower, however, and soon catches up! Your spikes may not show until late winter. Hopefully you have had it outside in good light during the summer.

CL
The Following User Says Thank You to Cym Ladye For This Useful Post:
1joyceh (09-10-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 02:19 AM
Executive Senior Member

Unhappy Cym.

Cyme Ladye Hi!.
Thanks I have had it in full sun for months, now moved it in green house with some shad.Looks good but no blooms yet?Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
monsoon-glory-2011-040.jpg   monsoon-glory-2011-039.jpg  
Old 09-09-2011, 05:24 AM

gabi_borza is on a distinguished road
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/dsc08594m.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/dsc08591g.jpg/

Here's my cymbidium, with new growths. I guess that in the second picture it is clear which is a new pbulb and which is a spike. Or not?

Last edited by gabi_borza; 09-09-2011 at 05:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gabi_borza For This Useful Post:
zaeem (10-24-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 04:00 PM
V.I.P Member

Update on growths

OK. It hasn't been a month yet, but there has been enough growth that I thought I could post.

Here they are in the exact order from the previous post

The second one is outgrowing the other two, and I gave it the tiniest squeeze and it felt a little flexible. I am almost willing to say it is a spike, but will hold off until I see flowers!

Another thing I am noticing is that with the other new growths that have come out, they seem to "hug" the p'bulb. The second one has been growing almost horizontally. Haven't seen that before...yet.

Last edited by BGGraham1; 09-09-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: add text
zaeem (09-10-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 11:46 PM
V.I.P Member

very cool guys,

just an update, i checked mine today, and it seems to be growing roots on the new growth no flowers yet

Old 09-10-2011, 05:09 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,236 Posts
1joyceh is on a distinguished road
roots are good Michael...patience, my dear
Old 09-10-2011, 06:28 AM
V.I.P Member

normally i would be excited about a new growth, but i want flowers

Old 10-10-2011, 04:35 PM
V.I.P Member

Update for October

Here are the new photos int he same order as before. I am pretty confident in the second one being a flower spike. The first one is still up in the air, and the last one isn't really growing much.

You can't tell from the photo, but this one is 4-5 inches long now. It has outgrown the other ones by a mile!

This is the one that hasn't really grown much...maybe its a dud...

Oh, and the p'bulb on that last one is not that yellow. I forgot to turn off the flash..

zaeem (10-24-2011)
Old 11-16-2011, 06:00 PM
V.I.P Member

Update for November

OK. The first two are both spikes, and if you look closely at #2, there is a little one coming along, too. It is also a spike. The third one has done nothing, so I won't post it anymore.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:02 AM

chait is on a distinguished road
Hi all, I'm new here. Bought a standard cym 3 years ago from Walmart for Mother's Day. After that I was excited whenever a new eye swelled in the fall but they all turned out to be just growth. This year I saw a new one and figured it's another growth but turns out to be a spike!! (sorry can't attach images yet)

I do have a question, I use 14-14-14 slow release pellets, what should I give it now?
Old 02-27-2012, 11:21 PM

Micky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassey77 View Post
Once the growth is about 4cm (1.5inches) long, if you gently squeeze the tip and it feels hollow - it's a spike. It almost feels like a pea-pod as you can feel the rounded buds underneath through the entire length of the spike.Now a slightly more pressing question... Sydney has had so much rain that some of my spikes stop growing and rot from the inside! One plant will have a healthy spike and another spike on the same plant could be rotten. Any ideas on how I can stop that?? It's not that cold - maybe 14 degrees at night and they're under cover (on the balcony) but it's still very humid.
The photos are all spikes, you can see the definite roundness in the first one.
Do you know of any Cymb culture sheets that are good?
Old 04-26-2012, 12:20 AM

johnvaldez786 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the information

I like the picture this is such a superb information about these flowers. It look like so beautiful.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:20 PM

dankr is on a distinguished road
I have a first spike on an un-bloomed Cym.
Should I leave it outside or bring it in? Spike is
6 -7" long
Old 03-01-2014, 04:01 PM

Lubbeelou is on a distinguished road
I've got four new growths on my Cymbidium I don't know if they are flower spikes or new growths, they all look the same!
Old 03-01-2014, 06:30 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,720 Posts
Ron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubbeelou View Post
I've got four new growths on my Cymbidium I don't know if they are flower spikes or new growths, they all look the same!
Hi best of luck with the spikes / new growth, as many have said in this site, for the newer growers and some of us more experienced growers, sometimes it not easy until the new growth / flower spike gets to arouind 4 to 6 inches long and by then you usually can tell by the fatness of the head its a flower spike were as new growth tends to be more elongated and skinny.
Here is a few photos of one of my flower spikes, hope it helps
Attached Thumbnails
cymbidium-in-spike.jpg   cymbid-spikes-day-2-wire.jpg   cymbid-spikes-day-2-wire-3.jpg   spikes-3.jpg  

My friend Missy
Good growing, Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron For This Useful Post:
Lubbeelou (03-02-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 06:39 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,720 Posts
Ron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky View Post
Do you know of any Cymb culture sheets that are good?
Hi most tend to be very generic or basic, when I started to grow Cymbidiums back before computers I read a very good by by J.N. Rentoul called Growing Orchids, book one (1) Cymbidiums and slippers.
I found great for beginners like me at the time and still a great book to re-read from time to time

As now we have computters and google, I looked at as many Cymbidium nursery as possible and look at thier culture sheets and worked it out from there, you will see many funny ideas and some very good idears to work with.

Lots of good info on this site as well, you may have to search a lot for pages put up buy some of the Cymbidium growers!

My friend Missy
Good growing, Ron
Old 03-02-2014, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Hi best of luck with the spikes / new growth, as many have said in this site, for the newer growers and some of us more experienced growers, sometimes it not easy until the new growth / flower spike gets to arouind 4 to 6 inches long and by then you usually can tell by the fatness of the head its a flower spike were as new growth tends to be more elongated and skinny.
Here is a few photos of one of my flower spikes, hope it helps
I had another good look after posting this last night, I know that one of them is definitely new growth. I was hoping that they were all flower spikes but now I think they might all be leaves!
Old 07-06-2014, 09:58 AM

I've got another new shoot on mine any idea if it's a flower spike or is it too soon to tell? I've already got 4 new growths on but they are just leaves
Attached Thumbnails
20140706_113922.jpg