• 2 Post By Vian
  • 1 Post By naoki

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Vian is on a distinguished road
Culture questions for my new orchids

First up, my Angraecum didierii. Right now it's in a tiny net pot with a couple chunks of large bark. I'd like to mount it on some cork bark and I'm wondering if it would enjoy terrarium conditions, or if it wants to be able to dry out a little more?

Second, Dendrobium peguanum. Right now it's potted in sphag. I think I will keep it in sphag and put it in a clay pot. Do these like to dry out completely between waterings like some dends, or stay a little moister?

Third, Paphiopedilum lowii. Is this a high light paph, or would it do alright in phal light? I've read that it's one of the few epiphytic paphs, so does that mean it likes to get dryer between waterings, or can I treat it like a Phal?

Paph. spicerianum. Same question as for the lowii, what kind of light and how dry should it get between waterings? Right now all 3 of our paphs only get partially dry, never completely dry between watering, I even keep them moister than the phals.

Epicattleya. Middleburg "Maj". Can I treat it like the Epicattleya Rene Marquis "Tyler" that we have? It has a very different look to it though, more like just a catt than an epi/catt hybrid.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
I grew my didieri on a grapewood mount w/some sphag...med light and watered it once a day. It grew very well but I never could get the nectary on the flowers to unfurl completely...they always seems kinked up...and I suspect it was a humidity issue. I say give it a try in the terrarium and see what happens. You'll know if it's not working...you'll start to see issues w/the leaves.

Den peguanum...I grow mine very wet during Spring and Summer...very wet as in it sits in a saucer of water. I have it in sphag w/leca in the bottom in a hydro pot and the water in the saucer is filled to the top of the leca...it never dries. (sphag and a clay pot will likely suit it just fine) In the Fall I begin reducing the water. I remove the saucer and begin backing off on watering as the pbulbs are matured. Reduce, reduce, reduce...to the point that by late Winter it is only getting a bit of "evening dew" a couple of times a week. Then...as the days begin to get longer and the temps start to warm I start to increase watering again...until I am keeping it wet constantly. I hope that makes sense.

It's natural habitat is one of wet and dry seasons w/small transition periods between each season. During the dry season there is some nightly dew but nothing in the way of rains...so think night time dew when watering this in the dead of Winter.

Light...VERY high light...as much as you can give it in the Winter short of burning the leaves. During the Summer (monsoon season) give it a bit more shade but you still want it bright.

Temps...Intermediate temps suit it well.

Last thing w/peg, this one loses it's leaves in the Fall/Winter so don't freak out if your plant goes bald by Dec/Jan. It's just what they do. I water even less when I lose all the leaves but you don't want to keep it excessively dry for long periods...even w/out leaves.

I used to grow spicerianum and gave it typical paph culture. I watered when it was almost dry...tried never to let it get crispy dry. Intermediate temps. I grew mine in slightly higher light than I give my phals.

HTHs.
orchids4me and BGGraham1 like this.
orchids4me (09-15-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Executive Senior Member

Yes! That helps alot, thank you Kat! If I put the peguanum in a clay pot with sphag, should I keep it in a saucer of water all summer as well, like you do? I find my other dends in clay pots dry out as fast as my mounted orchids do, so I'd be watering it every day otherwise. For winter watering I could just give it a few spritses from a spray bottle to simulate evening dew. I figured it was deciduous as the canes from last year on the plant are without leaves, it's got SO much new growth though. In fact, I'll just post some pictures now...

Den. peguanum

Ang. didierii

Paph. lowii - I staked some of the leaves because they were insisting on laying over on top of the other foliage, so I wanted to straighten it out.

Paph. Spicerianum

Epc. Middleburg "Maj" This one is growing in two directions
orchids4me and ZoeMassage like this.

Last edited by Vian; 09-13-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:57 PM

longshuen is on a distinguished road
Hey Vian, where did you get your lowii from? I've been looking for one.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Executive Senior Member

I got it from Norman's Orchids aka orchids.com He came to my orchid society meeting to speak about harlequin phalaenopsis.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:14 PM

longshuen is on a distinguished road
I bought from him b4. A bit pricy but great plants!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Executive Senior Member

Yeah, the lowii was $65, but the flowers are just amazing and it's a multifloral (this is our first) so I just had to get it. It's technically my mom's birthday present, but I'll enjoy it just as much as she will, lol.

Last edited by Vian; 09-13-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The plants looks great!

Ok....so the clay pot on peg...if it were me...yes, I would put it in a saucer of water but be sure and have some leca or similar material in the bottom so the sphag is not sitting directly in the water too much. It's basically a play on s/h method and i find it works w/just about any plant that likes to be most all the time. Since you're using clay it will be a wicking material along w/the leca (or similar material) so the plant will stay very moist but it won't be sopping.

I think you'll really like the little Den! It's a great little plant. Mine took 1st place at our meeting last October and I can already tell it's more than doubled in size since then.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Executive Senior Member

I've only found hydroton here and it's like $19 for a huge bag. I was thinking of using some broken terracota chips in the bottom, or lava rock, since both are porous and would be able to help wic water up. Or I could just use some river rocks and just let the pot itself wic the water.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Yep...I think any of those options would work well.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:12 PM

SK7 is on a distinguished road
Hydroton can be found on ebay in all different amounts,even very small ones.

I normally have very good luck with Normans, however last time I ordered I got a plant with lots of mite damage. Checking for those would be a good idea.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:43 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
I could easily collect Angraecums. They grow well for me and I have never seen one I didn't want very badly. (I resist as I have too many white orchids and already a few types of angraecums).
Here is the site for Angraecums:
Genus Angraecum - Angraecum Encyclopedia
Good luck with your new orchids!
Old 09-14-2012, 12:42 AM
Executive Senior Member

Thanks! Looks like I've got the right idea with the Angraecum. Mounted it and hung it in my east window. I think my terrarium is a little too stagnant for it, though everything in there is doing awesome. Right now there's a mini epidendrum, a bulbophyllum, another one I can't ID that looks almost like a bulbo, and lots of tilandsias and a small red bromilead. It might do well in there, I just wouldn't want anything to happen to it.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:54 PM

naoki is on a distinguished road
For Paphs, here is some natural habitat info (from Braem, Baker & Baker)

P. spicerianum, 1500-2300fc, N.E. India & Myanmar, limestone outcroppings & cliff, 1000-4250ft. summer: 79-80F day/66-67F night, winter: 68-71/42-46F, but no need to rest in the winter under cultivation.

P. lowii, 2000-3000fc, wide distribution (sumatra, Borneo, Java, Sulawesi etc) 2500-4500ft, 77-81/61-62F year round

Both of them are pretty easy species. Like Kat said, P. spicerianum can treated as a "typical" papas. They prefer slightly brighter lights than hybrid phals, but P. spicerianum should grow in the hybrid phal condition. If you want to flower it, P. lowii is happier with stronger light than phal (mine is about 10" from 4 bulb T5HO). You don't need to let it completely dry between watering even thought it can grow as an "epiphyte". I treat its watering same as other paphs (I usually target to water 1 day before the complete dryness, and a little more moist in the summer).
orchids4me likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to naoki For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
Very nice looking lot of plant you got
Good luck with them

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye