Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2016, 03:33 PM

SamIAm is on a distinguished road
Compact Dendrobium

Does anyone, besides me...think this is fungal, NOT normal shedding, or adapting to a new environment...? (Vendor's explanation) This plant was full of leaves with a few blooms/buds when it arrived, and in less than one week the plant has lost at least half of its leaves. I did remove the plant from its pot to try and stop the rapid decline thinking maybe it was too wet (watered once since its arrival) but honestly, I don't believe that's the issue. I sprayed the plant yesterday with a fungicide. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You...
Attached Thumbnails
dendrobium-muang-thai.jpg  
Old 10-22-2016, 02:30 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,400 Times in 1,226 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
Yes to me it looks to have some fungal problems but also at the same time normal shedding? I think whilst it has fungal problems the leaves are also finished.

Happy to be wrong but that's my feeling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bolero For This Useful Post:
SamIAm (10-23-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 07:16 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,721 Times in 1,019 Posts
-k- is on a distinguished road
I also agree with Bolero... not sure where in the US you are but my dendro just shed a bunch of leaves and is perfectly normal. But your leaves def show signs of fungal issues as well. Good you treated, provide plenty of air flow as well...
The Following User Says Thank You to -k- For This Useful Post:
SamIAm (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 08:41 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,379 Times in 3,089 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
You don't mention what Den you have. I have a couple of deciduous dens that, when they begin dropping their leaves, they do so rapidly and they look a lot like what your pic shows. Maybe not half of them dropping in a week but the drop could, potentially, have been sped up by the change in environment. Maybe.

D tannii and bracteosum being the worst of the group - they get very ugly and even though I'm used to it...I still get a little freaked out when it first starts. D pendulum looks like that when it's losing it's leaves but they take weeks to finally all drop. D Hibiki will lose it's leaves w/out the spots and marks. So, yea, what is your plant...that info could make a difference in helping to figure out what's going on there.
SamIAm (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 11:09 AM

SamIAm is on a distinguished road
Hi Katrina, the only information I have regarding this plant is from the vendor's site, and it's not much. I did try a search to no avail. All I know at this point is that the plant's spikes grow between the leaves, not on the canes. I must say, even though you are aware of the shedding pattern, it does indeed freak one out...and the rapid dropping of leaves certainly may have been exacerbated by the drastic change of environment (Den. came from Hawaii)...but with the spotting, necrotic looking tissue, and rapid decline of the plant in general...I thought it best to treat with a fungicide.

Den. Muang Thai...

Description...
Compact to mini Dendrobium plant. 1 1/2 inch white flowers with darker color (rose) in lip. Many spikes per mature growth.

It really is a beautiful little Dendrobium and I would love to see it thrive.
One other question, I grow under T5HO lighting...low 4000 lumens, medium 8000 lumens, high 16000 lumens...which would you recommend for this plant..?

Thank You all for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:33 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,379 Times in 3,089 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
OK, per Orchid Wiz, Den Muang Thai is hybrid w/the following species in the parentage:
  • Den phalaenopsis
  • Den affine
  • Den stratiotes
  • Den tokai

A nice mix and none appear to be deciduous so doing a fungicide seems a good call.

OW states the culture requirements are as follows:
  • Den. Muang Thai is composed of species of which 100% take high light and 10% take medium light. Grow this hybrid in bright indirect light conditions.
  • Den. Muang Thai is composed of species of which 100% take hot temperatures and 93% take warm temperatures. Grow this hybrid in warm to hot conditions, or 66F to 85F at night.
  • 50%-60% humidity. Keep moist in the Spring-Summer, when plant is in active growth. Grow in a pot with porous, free-draining media. The pot should be small for plant size. Fertilize weekly, weakly (one quarter to half the normal dose). Reduce water/feeding during the cooler months. Common media: fir bark, coconut chunks.

Hope that helps.
-k- (10-29-2016), SamIAm (10-30-2016)