Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 02:06 PM

SilverShaded is on a distinguished road
Cold damage?

Could this be something other than cold damage?

I thnk its a coelogyne but not sure

If it is a coelogyne, then i have no idea what species it is, maybe when it flowers i will, but its not actually been very cold so far, and other coelogynes are fine.

Sorry for the rubbish photos, (iphone under sodium lighting)

Last edited by SilverShaded; 11-07-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:42 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Could be cold or sun(burn) damage.

Hard to tell, are all leaves/pbulbs on one large plant, or is there more than one plant with the problem in the photos?

If multiple plants are affected, it may suggest and environmental issue such as cold damage.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:37 PM

There is more than one plant, min temp has never been below 10C, usually higher. I did thnk sun damage earlier, but sunshine at this time of year is pretty weak. Guess ill keep an eye on it, if it gets worse cant be sun damage.

The best I can guess is it could be an ovalis, but cant be sure, a lactea and fimbriata in the same tray are fine. Some bulbos had sun damage in the summer very close by. They've had very little fertilizer, maybe only once all year.

Could the leaves be too wet? Any ovalis or similar growers seen this before?
Old 11-07-2012, 05:47 PM
V.I.P Member

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Another thing I forgot to ask (this may be something to observe closely over the next few days/weeks).

1. Is the damage static (necrotic areas not getting larger, or not by much)? No appearance of new spots/damage where there was none before?

or

2. Are the necrotic patches noticeably getting larger, spreading leaf-to-leaf or plant-to-plant?

If #1, I would still say it is some environmental factor (cold, burn, or something else). If #2, I would suspect a disease process instead, requiring treatment.

I have noted in some of my plants, mostly Phals but also Catt alliance & Tolumnia, that with colder conditions the plants are more disease prone. My plants stayed outdoors a bit longer that I would like this fall, & were exposed to temperatures between 40 and 45 F (roughly 4 to 7 C). Most of my plants are fine but I had one Phal with numerous bacterial spots on 2 leaves (leaved trimmed, then watered only lightly for a couple weeks and now all is well), a Catt that had a pseudobulb go brown & soft (cut the rhizome in a couple strategic locations/cinammon on the cuts, cut off the bad pbulb, reduced watering, so far, so good), and 2 growths on the Tolumnia go bad (cut them off, cinammon treatment, light watering, so far, so good). Nothing froze, but the cold was enough to cause some stress in the plants that left them susceptible to disease.

If environmental conditions may have caused stress leading to disease, improve possible stress-inducing conditions, and also treat the disease process.

One thing I am trying this year for my outdoor-to-indoor move is carefully cleaning each plant that is moved inside (I only have about 25 plants, if you have 100, this is not really practical). It is quite time-consuming but my thought is to remove as much dirt (and bacteria, fungal spores) from the surface of the plant as possible. I used plain water only, for each plant a separate clean piece of paper towel, moistened with water only, wiping the cleanest/newest leaf first, progressing toward the older leaves. This also gives me a chance to really thoroughly inspect each plant for bugs, disease processes, etc. I don't know for sure yet, but I suspect this may help minimize the chance of disease starting on the plants while they are in for the winter.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the reply, ill keep an eye on it and see if it spreads, lets just hope it was sunburn as we wong get anymore of that until next may!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,792 Posts
rcb is on a distinguished road
That really doesn't look anything like sunburn at all to me. 10C seems like not cold enough for cold damage either, and yes it does look like a Coel. I guess if the Coel is a true warm grower, 10C might be too cold, but I would expect the plant to decline, not show like that.

Its hard to say, but it could be a fungal infection, how is your airflow?

"I carefully described to Huxley the shooting out of the pollinia in Catasetum, and received for an answer, 'Do you really think I can believe all that?'" - Darwin, 1868

www.orchidsnhoyas.blogspot.com
Old 11-24-2012, 09:12 AM

Ok i think it is an erwinia bacterial infection, it was still spreading, have cut infected leaves off and thinking of spraying with streptomycin or erythromycin. (have some erythromycin allready for treacting infected fishtank) anybody tried either for erwinia with good results?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:38 AM

Some of the infected leaves are drying and falling off, so with any luck it wont spread to the main plant, phew!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:38 AM

LovePhals is on a distinguished road
One thing I love about orchids if they have an issue on a leaf they seem to drop it without you having to do anything. They are very neat that way. Good Luck and hopefully it won't spread.