Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 01:30 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,792 Posts
rcb is on a distinguished road
Leathal - yeah looks like it. May possibly be a spider mite infection. But you still have green bulbs. I would water very carefully - almost not at all, and see if you will get a new growth start. As long as there is some green somewhere, there is still hope. It may just go into an early dormancy, and then start again next season.

I would probably unpot it, and leave it unpotted, treat for bugs and spider mites. Reason to leave unpotted is so it dries very quickly after treatment. Then I would treat it like it is dormant, and hope for new growth.

"I carefully described to Huxley the shooting out of the pollinia in Catasetum, and received for an answer, 'Do you really think I can believe all that?'" - Darwin, 1868

www.orchidsnhoyas.blogspot.com
Old 07-25-2010, 08:32 PM

Leathal is on a distinguished road
Thanks Renee! I will do that
Old 07-31-2010, 11:57 AM
Executive Senior Member

zaeem is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Ctsm.Grace Dunn

My plant has grown since last report.Another leaf shooting up while the older one bottom leaf yellowing preparing to shed.
When will it ever flower??
Zaeem
Attached Thumbnails
catesetum-grace-dunn0082.jpg  
Old 08-01-2010, 09:31 AM
V.I.P Member

Zaeem, Grace Dunn is actually a Clowesia now. So it is Clowesia Grace Dunn. And it flowers during the dormant period. So after it drops it leaves, and you start withholding water and fertilizer, after about a month or so of that is when you typically see the spikes starting.

As your picture shows that it is still actively growing (which it should be) you have got a way to go yet. Patience lol

I also have a Grace Dunn and it is definitely worth waiting for the flowers.

"I carefully described to Huxley the shooting out of the pollinia in Catasetum, and received for an answer, 'Do you really think I can believe all that?'" - Darwin, 1868

The Following User Says Thank You to rcb For This Useful Post:
zaeem (08-02-2010)
Old 08-02-2010, 05:23 AM
Executive Senior Member

Renee Hi !

Thanks,I have to wait one leaf about to drop.After all drop off I will have remove it from the watering/spraying list.but another is shooting out! Still growing perhaps?

zaeem
Old 09-05-2010, 09:52 AM

poochyrocket is on a distinguished road
I'm a novice when it comes to growing orchids but love them! I purchased a few months ago at a local Orchid Show a Morm Exotic Treat SVO 1795. It was very healthy but now the leaves are turning spotty brown and looks like it needs water. From what I have read I am probably doing something wrong i.e. watering too much or not watering properly or to much light or not enough! I'm at a loss....help please.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:22 PM
V.I.P Member

If the leaves are dropping, maybe it is going into it's dormant phase? Don't think you can water these kinds too much during their growing phase, you can definitely water them not enough though.

zaeem (09-13-2010)
Old 12-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Executive Senior Member

Ctsm.clowesia Growing.

Growing but no blooms,Had it for years waiting!
Attached Thumbnails
dscn0380.jpg  
Old 06-02-2011, 10:37 AM

catasetum-ian is on a distinguished road
i am a big fan of catasetums and i really must say this, Renee you really put up one of the most complete and informative forum about Catasetinae i ever came across. i really admire your time and effort for sharing experience about them.
denite25 likes this.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Executive Senior Member

Ctsm.has shed all leaves some little growth.I wish it should bloom?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
Wow! How did I ever miss this thread ???
Very informative and very interesting
I think I may try these after all thanks Renee!
Emmaye

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 06-10-2011, 08:38 AM
V.I.P Member

Zaeem, it's a little unusual that your plant has matured and shed it's leaves in the summer. How long has it been since it lost the leaves? Recently or did it shed them in the winter?

zaeem (06-11-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,874 Times in 2,959 Posts
syndywindy is on a distinguished road
Renee, you mentioned early on about how they don't like the low temps. How low do you think low is and would a night or two in the low 50's be detrimental to the new growth?

Life is Good Today! Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorrow.

Synda
Old 06-10-2011, 09:16 AM
V.I.P Member

Synda, No, a night or two at those temps shouldn't hurt. But, I'd attempt to dry them out a little if possible. Mine went through this a little while ago, they were outside already, when we got a short cool spell, and I wasn't going to haul them all back in for a couple nights. Since the temps were predicted, I just held off waterings those days.

syndywindy (06-10-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Executive Senior Member

Renee.

Over the last 2 months all leaves gone.I see one new growth perhaps another leaf or stem? Its summer since May into 85f-90f.Now 90f plus to 100f.Thanks.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:42 AM
Executive Senior Member

Dendian is on a distinguished road
Wow - thank you Renee for this very very informative thread.

I recently picked up at my orchid club a Cycnoches cooperi 'Dark Chocolate' x 'Dark Fudge'. I saw a new growth and thought - ok - time to water it.. and I did. Now I read that I probably shouldn't have watered it yet - there are no new roots from the growth.

It is wrapped really tight in moss (now slightly damp) and I don't want to break off the old roots (which do have new growing tips - but only about 1/8" long). Would it be best to just not water it again and hope for the best - or should I try to unwind that packed in moss and get the slightly damp moss away from the pbulbs?

I suppose a picture would be the best thing.. let me see if I can get one.
Attached Thumbnails
cyc-cooperi-001.jpg   cyc-cooperi-002.jpg   cyc-cooperi-003.jpg  
Old 07-02-2011, 01:40 AM
V.I.P Member

Zaeem, did that new growth develop on yet? Or is it possible it is the beginning of a spike?

Dian - I'm thinking leave it be, it'll dry out soon enough. You've got active root tips, nice ones BTW, so the water is not just going to be sitting in there, the roots will take it up. Also, these roots are very brittle, so if you attempt to pull out all that spag, you are going to break some very healthy nice roots. maybe leave it out of the pot to let it dry a little faster, but honestly I wouldn't worry about it.

zaeem (01-06-2012)
Old 07-02-2011, 03:27 AM
Executive Senior Member

Thank you for that reply.. it relieves me to hear I didn't kill it - already... I will let it out of the pot to let the moss dry - in our predicted weather it should dry up in no time flat (its supposed to be 104 this weekend )
Old 07-02-2011, 08:40 AM
V.I.P Member

Dian, looking at your pics again, did you notice you have a second new growth starting

I want to explain further as well for others, Cycnoches seem to actually sometimes need a little bit of water during the dormant season if it is long. Most of my Cycnoches have a very short dormancy, but when they have a long one, they do seem to shrivel more than the other kinds. Another reason why I wouldn't worry so much about a short premature watering.

Last edited by rcb; 07-02-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Executive Senior Member

Yes, I did see the teeny new growth - its why I took that third picture - Sooooo COOOOL! I got it in March of this year with its leaves still on it - and it was bone dry so I asked if this was the one I wasn't supposed to water - and was told it was - not until the new growth started... I guess I sort of imposed a dormancy on it, because I did not water it - at all. The last leaf fell off about a month ago I guess. Is this considered a "long" dormancy or a "short" one? The pbulbs looked ok to me.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Executive Senior Member

Renee,Sorry for late reply.I just repoted the the clowesia roots ok the mix was sour!!two leaves are 2 inches long 5 ulbs are firm.Will post a photo soon.No flower stem.Have to wait?Thanks.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:14 AM

kaymarie is on a distinguished road
Deflasking Catasetums

Can anyone help with the best way to deflask catasetums. What is the best media to put them in and when would be the best time to do it. It is winter here, another month or two of cold weather. Should I leave them until it starts to warm up, then I can start watering straight away. I've never grown them before though have deflasked and had success with a number of other varieties.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:49 AM
V.I.P. Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,044 Posts
koshki is on a distinguished road
Renee, what an interesting thread (how did I miss this?!). How kind of you to take so much time to share this with us.

So, just to make sure I have this right...a plant that you ignore and don't water for a long time, until you take it outdoors and then hose it regularly? This might be something I could handle!

My only concern is the amount of light it needs. I have a nice space outdoors where they could get full direct sun until about 3 pm, but indoors I do not have that much light. The best I could do indoors is light sufficient to bloom brassavolas.

Are there any plants in this alliance that would thrive in my conditions? Could you recommend any that would be good starters for me?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-22-2011, 12:31 PM
V.I.P Member

Katherine, light indoors sufficient to bloom Brassavolas would work for most of the Alliance, especially for the intergeneric hybrids that are popular these days. It may not be the potential best, but it should do well enough. Besides, the important time for the most sunlight is during the middle of summer, when you could take them outside and get more light anyways.

Kaymarie, I've never deflasked this type before. But my instincts are as long as the plants are not declining in flask, I would think to wait until it starts to warm up before deflasking. If the plants really need to be deflasked now, then just try to keep them as warm as possible until your weather warms up.

Watering isn't necessarily a winter summer thing, but a dormant/growing response. So as long as the flasklings are growing (when deflasked), I would continue to water them. When they get bigger, they will eventually start a clear dormant stage, and that is when to withhold water.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcb For This Useful Post:
kaymarie (07-22-2011), koshki (07-22-2011), plantloverlisa (07-22-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 01:27 AM

berkeleysgr8 is on a distinguished road
Leathal, sorry to see your plant in such poor condition. This seems like a pretty hearty orchid... maybe it can be sprayed with a good insecticide and still make it through? It never ceases to amaze me how orchids are designed to survive... they're often tougher to kill than we think! Hopefully rcb (Renee) can share some wisdom about what to do!
Old 07-24-2011, 02:29 AM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

Thanked 2,306 Times in 796 Posts
orchidea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymarie View Post
Can anyone help with the best way to deflask catasetums. What is the best media to put them in and when would be the best time to do it. It is winter here, another month or two of cold weather. Should I leave them until it starts to warm up, then I can start watering straight away. I've never grown them before though have deflasked and had success with a number of other varieties.
I just de-flasked Cyc. cooperi. It's my first Catasetinae de-flasking, so I am not an expert. It's very hot here now, so I think it was a good time to de-flask. I think you are right, it's better to wait till you expect them to start growing right after you de-flask.
You can see my thread I just posted today...http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...y-keikies.html
There are not too many people on this forum who grow these plants.... Renee (rcb) is the best expert, but I think she mentioned that she never de-flasked them.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:21 AM

kaymarie is on a distinguished road
Smile

Thank you Orchidea, I checked out your thread, all a help. I will wait till it starts to warm up until I deflask, though I think I will have to do one soon as some of the growths are turning brown. I will just keep them inside and keep them warm and just keep my fingers crossed.
On another note, just watching the Tour de France, an Aussie has won. Wonderful.
Thanks again. Kay
The Following User Says Thank You to kaymarie For This Useful Post:
orchidea (07-24-2011)
Old 08-22-2011, 12:49 PM

ChryssM is on a distinguished road
Well that is an absolutely AMAZING thread, Renee !!! I will DEFINITELY use a lot of it in my talk but we only have 3 HOURS !!!! LOL !

Thanks again !
Old 08-23-2011, 12:56 AM

bearded orchid is on a distinguished road
Amazing thread, Renee. I definitely want to try my hand with these sometime in the future. Thanks.

Last edited by bearded orchid; 08-23-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Executive Senior Member

Unhappy Catasetum

Renee Hi!
I am updating you on the one Catasetum(Clowesia) I have been nursing for ages.Its still growing!!!Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
monsoon-glory-2011-042.jpg  
Old 09-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Executive Senior Member

Smile Catasetum

Renee Hi!.
Some problem in uploading i am re-posting .thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
monsoon-glory-2011-042.jpg  
Old 10-01-2011, 10:02 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,278 Times in 798 Posts
pikkumyy is on a distinguished road
hey renee,
thanks so much for making this thread,
i was at the president of my societies house last weekend, and i saw a heap of flasks of orchids which seemed pretty over grown for the flask.
it turns out that he got a heap of catasetum flasks, and about 5 or six different kinds, but several of each. so he got sick of deflasking them, so he just left them.
so when i asked him about them, he said i could have one and gave me a flask of
Catasetum Louise Clarke
(catasetum Donna Wise 'Lee' HCC?AOS
x
Catasetum Susan Fcuhs 'Burgundy Chips' FCC/AOS)

and i have just deflasked them, and i've been reading this thread and its really helpful, no doubt if i get a question, you'll see it here

out of the flask there is only two which have lost their leaves like they 'normally' do, but they all seem very healthy and are all sending out new shoots, when they get a tad bigger i'll upload some photo's to see if i can water them yet

and i have gently lifted them up a bit so that when i can water them then they will have wet feat but dry buts

anyways what was meant to be a short post has turned into well.... this

The minute you stop learning is the minute you stop living

My friends and family call it an obsession, i call it an interesting hobby

My Blog: my-patch-of-heaven.blogspot.com.au/
Old 10-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,255 Times in 945 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
Wow, what a lucky gift! That cross should be just gorgeous, if it turns out like the picture I found on the Sunset Valley website.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:11 AM

I got a Cycnoches cooperi this weekend at our local orchid society show. I'll be reading back over the thread for culture hints!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:10 AM

Thanked 5,874 Times in 2,959 Posts
syndywindy is on a distinguished road
Now that I have a few of these and seem to have developed a fascination with them, I am so glad Renee made this thread!

Life is Good Today! Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorrow.

Synda
Old 10-21-2011, 08:04 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndywindy View Post
Now that I have a few of these and seem to have developed a fascination with them, I am so glad Renee made this thread!
i totally agree

Old 10-21-2011, 11:48 AM

Thanked 2,152 Times in 520 Posts
jim blanford is on a distinguished road
I agree also this is a great thread. As a matter of fact I just happen to have a Cyc. that is going in my next MMB. post that was mismarked I bought it as Cyc. Wine Delight and as you can tell that's not what it is, the vendor is going to get back to me I hope with the right name, maybe one of you Geeks can help. Thanks.... Jim.
Attached Thumbnails
dscn2458_445.jpg   dscn2460_447.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to jim blanford For This Useful Post:
zaeem (10-24-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 01:31 PM

dankr is on a distinguished road
Don't know what it is; but it's flowers are sure lovely.
Thanks for posting flower pics.

Last edited by dankr; 10-22-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:24 AM

j0ker918 is on a distinguished road
After reading this thread and seeing the photos of catesetums out there, I have become obssesed! I just got my first catesetum two weeks ago and it has dropped 2/3 of its leaves. Seems like most instructions say to reduce watering as leaves fall and to stop watering by January 1st, but when exactly should watering stop to be safe? Should I just stop watering it all together now since most leaves are gone, or should I wait until the last leaf falls off, or should I wait until January 1st?
Old 11-12-2011, 04:57 PM
V.I.P Member

The January 1st idea is not good. What if all the leaves drop in November? Then you are watering for over a month when it shouldn't be watered.

I have stopped fertilizing mine now, the new growths are pretty much matured. I have about 4 that have entered actual dormancy, and they are no longer getting any water. Most of the rest have started dropping leaves, and I've reduced watering, letting them dry out inbetween waterings for longer periods. This is where your plant is correct? Then just water periodically until the last remaining leaves have dropped.

When the last leaf has dropped, or as it is about to drop, no matter what date it is, is when watering should stop.

Then I have a few that are misbehaving and have started new growths, they are getting watered.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcb For This Useful Post:
1joyceh (11-13-2011), Fishmom (12-30-2011), j0ker918 (11-13-2011), zaeem (11-15-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 05:38 AM

Thanks for the details! You must be really pampering your plants if they decide to throw up new growths instead of starting dormancy.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:15 AM

TheBlazingAugust is on a distinguished road
WOW!!!! What a great thread!!!! This was an awesome and informative read!!! I have the opportunity of ordering from SVO in the spring, so I am going to be getting as many Catasetinae as I can afford! I actually plan on tapering a whole level of my new light stand I'm going to build just for the Catasetinae! I am SOO excited!!!!

Orchids in a Closet ~ A detailed journal of my orchid endeavours.

~Cody Hamilton~
Old 05-11-2012, 06:42 PM

cairo is on a distinguished road
Agreed, this is a great thread. Perhaps the two I had purchased years ago would still be alive today had I read this first. And actually followed the instructions. It is really a difficult thing for me to 'not water' when I see the first signs of growth. Not to be undaunted though, I bought 7 last year from SVO to try again.

I am pleased to say that all are sending up new growth this month under my lights. Four have sturdy 3" growths with loads of new roots. It's fascinating to see the dramatic changes from day to day. You can almost watch them grow! Maybe a time-lapse movie would be in order here. (Great, yet another project!)
Old 10-10-2012, 09:24 PM
V.I.P Member

my catasetums are starting to grow new growths.... I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL I CAN START WATERING THEM!!!!!!!
1joyceh and snazzyboots like this.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:51 AM

empress is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the all the information, Renee~ I am glad you wrote this and I was able to read it. Thanks to Snazzyboots!
This was very informative and makes me want to go Cyc shopping now~
But now that I know you're the go to on this alliance I may have to bother you more! I hope you don't mind! ^^;;
snazzyboots likes this.

Garden Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Journal Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Photography

Old 10-20-2012, 05:13 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,388 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlazingAugust View Post
WOW!!!! What a great thread!!!! This was an awesome and informative read!!! I have the opportunity of ordering from SVO in the spring, so I am going to be getting as many Catasetinae as I can afford! I actually plan on tapering a whole level of my new light stand I'm going to build just for the Catasetinae! I am SOO excited!!!!
Cody --- many (if not most) Ctsm get pretty large so either pay attention to get the more compact growers or be sure to give yourself LOTS of headroom for this group. I have some that are nearly 3' (about 91cm) tall when in full leaf. Fred has been doing some breeding w/denticulatum to create some really cool compact growers...grab as many of those you can get.
snazzyboots likes this.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:02 AM

Paul Mc is on a distinguished road
Wow, this is a great thread! Thank you for sharing!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:06 AM

TheBlazingAugust is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina View Post
Cody --- many (if not most) Ctsm get pretty large so either pay attention to get the more compact growers or be sure to give yourself LOTS of headroom for this group. I have some that are nearly 3' (about 91cm) tall when in full leaf. Fred has been doing some breeding w/denticulatum to create some really cool compact growers...grab as many of those you can get.
While we are on this topic, I thought I would ask a question. My one non-Phal stand has a height of 28" from the eggcrate where the pots would rest to the top were the lights are. Now, this stand is currently almost full, as are the two levels in my Phalaenopsis closet. However, my next endeavour is to turn the space underneath our stairs into a space to grow more orchids. One part is about 46"W x 46"L and is 36" tall (I'm not including 2" for the hieght of the trays eggcrate that would go underneath, so in reality, it is 38" from the cement floor to the 'roof' in there), so I think I could turn this spot into an ideal Catasetum growing space. Lighting wouldn't be an issue, and I could probably easily get enough to burn the leaves. So, given the 36" height limit, are there any Catasetinae that I should avoid? I am fine with some being tall enough that their leaves do burn a bit, being that they are seasonal, so I only will really have to avoid any whose bulbs get near the 36" mark. Any guidance is much appreciated! It is going to be hard not to fill that space up with Phalaenopsis, so I want to get a good list of what I should avoid so I can get some before my Phalaenopsis march down there and claim it for themselves!

EDIT: I thought I would mention that I didn't order any this spring, as I found out from my Dad that the electrical circuitry in my bedroom probably wouldn't have been able to handle another set of lights and fans. I ended up getting a bunch of Phalaenopsis, so that is what filled my empty spaces. However, I think that I am going to force myself to buy a Catasetinae so that I have to build something tapered to it!
bearded orchid likes this.

Orchids in a Closet ~ A detailed journal of my orchid endeavours.

~Cody Hamilton~

Last edited by TheBlazingAugust; 10-22-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:41 AM

berkeleysgr8 is on a distinguished road
You know you have a great thread when there are still comments more than two years after it started! *smile*
empress likes this.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:50 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
Wow! This was really great information! Thank you!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:02 PM

newbud is on a distinguished road
FDK help please.

hey all - I received my FDK today and it doesn't look so good and I wonder if I got screwed. What do you all think?

The pot is real small. About 2".
I wonder if it's going through it's winter cycle or is something wrong with it. Thanks
Old 10-25-2012, 10:16 PM

It looks to me that it is going dormant, as it is expected to do this time of year. Note that the bottom leaves are yellowing first; that would be expected. I also see that each successive p-bulb is larger--that is good growth.

Of course, I'm a rank beginner. My advice is worth what you paid for it!
newbud likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fishmom For This Useful Post:
newbud (10-26-2012), rcb (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 12:41 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
I am also guessing, after all I have been reading about this group, that it is going dormant. My new cyncnodes is starting to look a little sad, too. As long as the growths do not rot, you should be okay, as far as I am aware.
newbud likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leafmite For This Useful Post:
newbud (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 08:38 AM

Paul Mc is on a distinguished road
All of mine are looking sadder by the day. Though my growth and budding cycles always seem to be behind others so I've not seen yellowing just yet in mine. But it is that time of year when they start to go dormant. I think you're fine there.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,388 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Yes, it's going into dormancy....nothing to be worried about. Be sure you're reducing the watering.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 PM

nightsong is on a distinguished road
This is indeed a most excellent thread but of course this newbie has a question. Bought my Cycd. Golden Shower 'King' x Momd. revoluta 'Yellow' at the Dallas Orchid show last month in full bloom. I waited a week to give it water and then just sat it in a dish of water. Flowers dropped very quickly and leaves have been yellowing and dropping and it's now down to it's last leaf. I picked it up to check how dry it was and how the pbulb felt and it's already grown another nub! I'm thinking no water until I see some nice roots of ample length but when should I consider repotting?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:57 PM

NiNiDazzle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
This is indeed a most excellent thread but of course this newbie has a question. Bought my Cycd. Golden Shower 'King' x Momd. revoluta 'Yellow' at the Dallas Orchid show last month in full bloom. I waited a week to give it water and then just sat it in a dish of water. Flowers dropped very quickly and leaves have been yellowing and dropping and it's now down to it's last leaf. I picked it up to check how dry it was and how the pbulb felt and it's already grown another nub! I'm thinking no water until I see some nice roots of ample length but when should I consider repotting?

Oh no, I missed the Dallas show? Darn it.

My FDK is at the moment leafless, yet it now has started a new growth.

Yes I still want flowers for Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, my birthday... Just make sure it's an orchid (WITH ROOTS).
Old 11-18-2012, 10:59 PM

I divided and repotted my FDK and Pileatum after the new growths started growing out roots ~6cm or more so that I could water them for the first time with the repot. They all survived.
The Following User Says Thank You to j0ker918 For This Useful Post:
zaeem (11-19-2012)