• 1 Post By sunshine
  • 1 Post By antoj60
  • 1 Post By antoj60
  • 1 Post By Bolero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2017, 02:59 AM

antoj60 is on a distinguished road
Brassidium won't flower

I have had this orchid for many years, has never flowered. Divided once and the division hasn't flowered either. Kept on an open verandah with sun in the summer till 11:00am and in the winter till 10:00am I live in NSW Australia. I was thinking of repotting it but not sure

p1020198-copy-.jpg

p1020199-copy-.jpg
Bolero likes this.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,636 Times in 2,192 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road
How long ago did you divide? I have found that sometimes it takes a year or 2 for a division to adjust. It may need more light than what you are giving it.

There are a lot Aussies on here.
Bolero likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to sunshine For This Useful Post:
Bolero (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 04:13 PM

it would be at least a couple of years as I have been retired for 2, I haven't divided it since retirement. I will put in the garden and see what happens
sunshine likes this.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:04 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,391 Times in 1,217 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
Light is usually the issue. Also don't water too much in winter. I am not saying you do over water it but I used to have a Brassia that never flowered as I watered it too much in winter and this could be an issue.

Most likely issue is light. Maybe 40% to 50% shade should work.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:47 PM

Brassidium won't flower

thanks Bolero, I have put it in the garden maybe that will trigger it. So frustrating as the flower for this plant are beautiful.

I live in NSW and I have an open verandah on the front with morning sun till around 10.00am do you think this is enough light?
Bolero likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to antoj60 For This Useful Post:
Bolero (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 03:30 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,391 Times in 1,217 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoj60 View Post
thanks Bolero, I have put it in the garden maybe that will trigger it. So frustrating as the flower for this plant are beautiful.

I live in NSW and I have an open verandah on the front with morning sun till around 10.00am do you think this is enough light?
It might be but I think you are better off with sun all day.......through dappled light from tree leaves or shade cloth.

Most growers have a custom built structure in the back yard with bright light coming through shade cloth. Under a tree is also a good idea. Direct sun is not often a good idea but until 10am is probably ok.

If you can and if you want to grow more orchids maybe have something built. Your climate is perfect for growing most orchids.
sunshine likes this.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:45 AM

Brassidium won't flower

already have a orchid house with a polycarbonate roof and shade cloth 70% on the facing east walls and flyscreen on the other 2 walls just to keep bugs out, I also have a flyscreen door. I have a Dendrobium Phal with 4 spikes just about to open and they have been in their since I bought them 18 months ago. not sure what the light levels are in their. None of my cattleyas have flowered either even though they are up near the roof.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,636 Times in 2,192 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoj60 View Post
already have a orchid house with a polycarbonate roof and shade cloth 70% on the facing east walls and flyscreen on the other 2 walls just to keep bugs out, I also have a flyscreen door. I have a Dendrobium Phal with 4 spikes just about to open and they have been in their since I bought them 18 months ago. not sure what the light levels are in their. None of my cattleyas have flowered either even though they are up near the roof.
Your cattleyas need more light to bloom.
East walls are great. The reason being you get the morning sun. Cattleyas will do great. You could some experimenting w/the shade cloth. Half the wall w/shade, half w/out for the cattleyas. I have a small greenhouse and it sits on the northwest corner of the yard. So I get bright direct light pretty much all day. I use a piece of 50% shade cloth over the top of the greenhouse and my cattleyas and laelias are very happy putting out new growth and sheaths.

My suggestion is to get a good light meter which can be found at any place that sells orchid supplies or a garden center. If you belong to an orchid society maybe you could get a member who has a greenhouse to come over and give you suggestions. Orchid societies are a wealth of information.

Light, the Key to Successful Blooming