Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 03:35 AM

Woods is on a distinguished road
Any Advice? Type of Orchid and Care

Hi Everyone,

This is my dad's orchid - he caught the orchid bug from me and bought the one that isn't the Phal for 50p. The flowers had fallen off by the time he got it home. It had small delicate flowers. He has had it for over 1 month- I've been keeping my eye on it. The leaves look healthy but I have noticed the roots don't look good at all - you should be able to see it in the close up photo. Is there anything I can do to save it? Does anyone know what type it is? After browsing the internet I think it may be a Laelia but am not sure. Should the base 'bulb?' be so wrinkly? Thanks, Anne

orchids.jpg

orchid.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to Woods For This Useful Post:
zaeem (10-14-2010)
Old 10-12-2010, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,651 Times in 2,207 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods View Post
Hi Everyone,

This is my dad's orchid - he caught the orchid bug from me and bought the one that isn't the Phal for 50p. The flowers had fallen off by the time he got it home. It had small delicate flowers. He has had it for over 1 month- I've been keeping my eye on it. The leaves look healthy but I have noticed the roots don't look good at all - you should be able to see it in the close up photo. Is there anything I can do to save it? Does anyone know what type it is? After browsing the internet I think it may be a Laelia but am not sure. Should the base 'bulb?' be so wrinkly? Thanks, Anne

Attachment 39000

Attachment 39001

You donot have a Laelia. Laelia is part of the catt family. What you have is a
oncidium/odontoglossum that is severely dehydrated. Those pbulbs should be firm,fat, smooth and a nice shiny green. I can't tell what type of medium it is potted in but it looks like it is old and broken down. Is there any drainage holes in the bottom of that pot?

Here is my suggestion. Take the orchid out of the pot and clean away all the old medium, trim away all the old dead, mushy roots,cut off the flower spike and see what you have left. Soak in a mixture of water, superthrive or KLN. I add a little fertilizer to my mixture. Use a bowl big enough to soak the pbulbs and roots in. Let the plant soak for at least 15 min. I have let some of mine soak longer and the plant really didn't seem to mind. After it has had a good soaking repot in fresh medium and a pot that the plant will fit with just enough room for new growth and has good drainage. While your plant is soaking here is a care sheet on how to take care of your chid. Do keep us posted.

Oncidium & Odontoglossum Orchid Care - Carter and Holmes Orchids Culture

AOS | Members Only Area

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000209739937
The Following User Says Thank You to sunshine For This Useful Post:
zaeem (10-14-2010)
Old 10-12-2010, 05:57 AM

Hi. Thanks for all that info and advice. It is in bark. Should I get bigger bark for repotting and a smaller pot? Will keep you posted on progress. If I don't find any green roots when i clean it out is it a lost cause? Anne
Old 10-12-2010, 08:28 AM

Thanked 1,459 Times in 733 Posts
Stelios is on a distinguished road
i suspected that all the roots were rotten from overwatering, i am sad to see this is the case. I think it is not a lost case just yet, use some wire or buy a clip so that you could fix it stable in place in the new pot. It might grow new roots unless the pseudobulbs started to rot. Alternatively it will develop a new growth by using the last resources of nutrients stored in the old psedobulbs. So far i am very lucky with oncidiums growing from backbulbs (old ones without leaves) so i don;t see why you shouldn't save it as well.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:14 PM

Am confused about what to do next. Should I trim roots and repot in bark that has been soaked? How far above the bark should the bulbs be?
Old 10-12-2010, 02:50 PM

Thanked 1,459 Times in 733 Posts
Stelios is on a distinguished road
the buds base should be touching the park but not be deeper than a centimeter in it.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

11Orchid126 is on a distinguished road
How often do you water the plant? Those shrivelled bulbs indicate that the plant has been kept too dry. Are the roots bone dry or mushy? Don't worry about the color of the roots, worry about the texture.

Last edited by 11Orchid126; 10-13-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:07 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,449 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Orchid126 View Post
How often do you water the plant? Those shrivelled bulbs indicate that the plant has been kept too dry.
That's one possibility. There is another: that the orchid has been over watered or that the mix has decomposed too much and the roots have rotted off. Ironically the symptoms of under watering and over watering are the same. That's why it's important to check the roots because that's about the only way to tell which is the case.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
zaeem (10-19-2010)
Old 10-14-2010, 03:19 AM

The roots aren't dry, they are softish but not mushy. The roots are quite short, thin and a pale cream colour.
I'm waiting on some new bark to arrive for repotting it.
When repotted should I water by rinsing through from the top? I read that misting helps keep humidity up without overwatering. Would that be better or should I do both?
If the roots are not dry should I avoid soaking the bulbs?
Thanks
Old 10-14-2010, 04:02 AM
Executive Senior Member

zaeem is on a distinguished road
Woods Hi,
I see two plants one is Phal.the other is Onc. of type;cant tell repot as suggested and use super thive to save the plant and roots (mushy) should be cleaned.
Your Phal.after flowering ends need to be repotted in fresh mix.
Goodluck!
Zaeem
Old 10-17-2010, 05:13 AM

Have trimmed roots - butchered it really. Only found one ok root - possibly a new one. Have repotted in new bark. Will let you know what happens. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:37 PM

Forgot to mention that when I repotted there was what looked like a cork or plug of moss at the centre of the pot - around the roots. It was surrounded by bark. It was difficult to loosen off (almost a solid mass) but soaking helped. Not sure if was moss or broken down bark. Any ideas - am just curious to know what it was. I meant to take a photo but had hands full repotting.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Member Photobucket

11Orchid126 is on a distinguished road
When growers pot up seedlings they leave the moss that the plants were grown in and just tuck bark around it. Thus the plug of moss in the middle. It's quick and easy for them, but doesn't make for the best of growing conditions.

Last edited by 11Orchid126; 10-19-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:30 AM

Thanks. I should probably check that the phal isn't potted in the same way. They are from the same shop (supermarket) and have the same labels so maybe the same grower. Worth checking or best to leave alone if it's doing OK?