Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2006, 11:08 PM

greg_s is on a distinguished road
Question wrinkled pseudobulbs

I recently found myself in possession of Mtssa. Charles M. Fitch 'Izumi'. It is a beautiful plant but I am worried about one thing. Most (nearly all) of the pseudobulbs are wrinkled. Some, pretty deeply. Is that normal for this type of orchid?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:47 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,238 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
It is quite normal for all plants in the oncidium alliance. New bulbs will grow smooth while young but all seem to shrivel more or less.

Mtassa are a cross of a Brassia and a Miltonia. Miltonia are often called pansy orchids because of their shape and brassia are spider orchids for the same reason. Brassia bloom and Miltonias bloom once a year and Miltonias suffer in very hot cllimates. The cross is more heat tolerant and many bloom twice a year. The flower is closer to brassia than miltonias in shape.

I do not have a picture of yours but Royal Robe is a twice a year bloomer and very popular. They all put on a display of multiple flower sprays and large showy flowers

This plant is a 4 inch pot that has two flower stems forming and produced about 6-7 flowers on each stem. Each flowre was 4-5 inches.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:04 AM

Jerry, Thanks for the feedback. I'll post a picture of mine tonight. Its basically the same as the one you posted but it has a facinating pattern on the blooms (which is what really sold me on it).

Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:50 PM

Here is a picture of the plant in question. Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mtssa charles m fitch izumi 2.jpg (36.6 KB, 74 views)
Old 05-23-2006, 12:55 AM
Member Photobucket

Ellen is on a distinguished road
Greg,

That's a gorgeous plant that you have. I can't wait for mine to grow up and bloom!
Old 05-23-2006, 02:02 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,238 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
I had not seen the flower before. It is better marked than most Mtassa and the blue violet color is excellant.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:43 PM

johnemartin is on a distinguished road
Mtssa. Royal Robe Diplomat

Every day I think the buds on this are going to open, and then... Anyway, if/when it opens, I'll post try to post a pic as this should be a little different from yours. Or you can see a pic now by going to Everglades Orchids, clicking on Oncidiums & scrolling down (plants listed alphabetically) until you get to Mtssa.s.