Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 07:02 PM

fisher60 is on a distinguished road
Wrinkled New buds

I'm a newbie at Orchids. I have a Phal that has 3 new buds on it, but in the last few days they have become wrinkled and sagging. I'm afraid they will blast. What is wrong? Not enough water? I run water through the plant every 3-4 days, and try to remember to mist daily. It is in a wooden slat planter with bark medium. The roots look spendid and are growing out of the planter in many locations, even the bottom so I have to hang this plant. Can anyone give me some insight as to what is happening?
Old 11-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,354 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
welcome to the forum
being new to to Phals this link will help you to understand there culture needs
AOS | Phalaenopsis

with misting are you misting the flower buds ?
how long have you had this Phal it maybe blasting due to being moved into your conditions.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:29 PM

No, I'm not misting the buds, only the roots and leaves and only in the morning. I've had this Phal about 9 months, and moved it inside a couple months ago to protect it from the too cool fall nights. It is in an un-heated room, hanging over a humidity tray. Temp about 65 degrees, humidity around 65% with overhead fluorescent lighting. But I have only fertilized it once in the last 30 days, and I used a 11-35-15 Better-Gro Bloom buster. Do I need to soak the plant when watering or just run water though it?
Old 11-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Hummer344 is on a distinguished road
Watering the plant every 3-4 days & misting everyday sounds a little excessive. I would check the roots for rot. If they show signs of rotting I would re-pot the plant, cutting off the roten roots & hope it will recover. The flowers sound like they are gone either way you go.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:22 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
First off I want to welcome you to the forum!!!

Quote:
It is in a wooden slat planter with bark medium.
Sounds like you have it in a Vanda basket. If this is the case then the watering schedule shouldn't be a problem.

Is there a way that you can post pictures of the plant. I know that you have to have 5 posts before you can upload pictures. Please post pics as soon as you can as I think this might be more of a bug problem.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:20 PM

The 2 buds dropped off today. And I see very, very tiny moisture droplets on the stalk. I'm guessing overwatering?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,168 Times in 489 Posts
amersault is on a distinguished road
hi, and welcome!

in my experience, bud blast has happened due to a variation in temp. it could be from moving the plant to this new location also be from any number of variants in the new environment.

i don't, however, think it's due to your watering schedule.

if all the buds fall, you can cut it back to 1" before the next node. with luck, it may put out a subspike in time for the Holidays.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
The moisture on the stem could be honeydew (secretions usually made while blooming, or when the plant is happy). I would also look for pests, as some will leave behind these secretions, and they may have munched your buds causing them to abort. Welcome to the forum.

http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/new...f-orchids.html