Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 01:41 AM

rita3095 is on a distinguished road
wrinkled bulbs

Hi everyone,
I'm very new to growing orchids (except for den. kingianum, den speciosum and the old common yellow oncidiums which I've grown on neglect for decades). I decided I needed to expand my collection, and I then found there was a whole world of cool (cold) growing orchids out there. I have since bought a few. I now need a few answers, but I'll only ask one or two at a time - don't want to wear out my welcome in a hurry

The first thing that is causing me concern is a Coelogyn cristata. Some of the bubs are starting to become wrinkled. I've had the plant for 2+ months, I live in Melbourne Australia, it's winter now, the plant was facing east, under eves, next to my masdevallias, and hand watered fortnightly. When I noticed the wrinkles (plus one leaf was becoming wrinkled), I thought it needed more water, so watered it weekly. It didn't improve. I then read they don't like light while resting, so I have now placed it in a dark corner covered by the BBQ.
Does anyone have any ideas?

A 2nd question, where should I place my Miltonia Bluntii? After I had it flowering inside, I put it in a 75% light corner, no rain. The leaves started to turn yellow, so I now have it at %50% light level. Watered fortnightly.

No3. I have about 20 Zygo pots, I picked up from an exbreeder. They were in a very bad state, soaking wet and completely pot bound, roots overhanging, some in double pots, roots everywhere. Now that the flowers have finished on a couple of them I really want to repot. But it's the middle of winter, although there are new green shoots coming up. The plants are in very small pots, the bulbs are big, and in many cases growing on top of each other. How do I repot those, break them up, or leave them in pyramid format.
Thanks for your patience, sorry if it's all too much, but these are the most pressing questions.

Rita
Melbourne Australia
Old 07-08-2012, 11:01 AM

digriz is on a distinguished road
I don't know about that species in particular, but I know that for some, like Oncidiums, once wrinkled they don't always go back but that doesn't necessarily mean they're unhealthy.

I would say that you try and keep any future bulbs plump, but you may not be able to reinflate the wrinkled ones and could over water it trying.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:39 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,449 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Rita, I also live in Melbourne and I have 3 cristatas. I seem to observe that their bulbs fatten and shrivel slightly depending on the time of year and how much I water. In the winter when they're not growing and there's a lot of rain (mine hang outside under a tree so are protected from the sun but not so much the rain) they are usually fat and plump. In summer when it is much drier and they're using energy to grow, they will shrivel slightly.

As for the others, the Miltonia and the Zygos, even though I live in Melbourne I have not had much success with them personally.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
rita3095 (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 02:12 AM

wrinkled bulbs

Thanks for that information. From what you say it seems that I may have been keeping the C. cristata too dry (and now too dark). I will move it out and hang it under a gum tree. The orchid books I've looked at imply to keep it dry during its rest period (winter?).

I've bought about another 15 varieties of orchids (hybrids), and I hope to have some success with them, but it will be more about the luck of the niave and dumb, than knowledge. They are all cool growing, so I've crossed my fingers and hoped to rely on books, but they don't seem to be in the books. Some very mixed crossed hybrids.

Rita
Old 07-10-2012, 12:23 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,449 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
I should have added, Rita, that my cristatas would probably perform better for me if I gave them a dry cold winter rest instead of a wet one. Honestly I'm just a bit lazy with them. They do not bloom regularly or consistently so obviously I could do better with them.

Let us know what your other orchids are. Maybe some of us have them and could give some tips not found in the books or culture sheets.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:17 AM

Thanks for the information anyway. I have moved the cristata into the light and will allow controlled rainfall, in a sheltered position. I don't hold out great hopes for this or the Miltonia, the flowers were great while they laasted, anything in future will be a bonus.

You asked for a list - you may be sorry, as I have started a rather eclectic collection. Whether or not I will be able to grow them outside is yet to be seen. I know hard cane dendrobium Kingianums, den speciosums and old fashioned oncidiums grow well on neglect, in full view of the sky, so I'm reading everything and crossing my fingers. The Nobiles and other soft cane den. are all doing well, and growing nicely in this cold damp weather. There is winter protection under the eastern facing eves that is bone dry - good for the masdevallias, and I keep any new plant there until I decide what to do with it.
What I really want to be able to grow are the laelias and the lc. and slc. as well as the oncidium family all stone cold. Anyway, here is a list. If you could rearange the list ie, put things in their correct place that would be helpful.

MY ORCHID LIST.
BAKERARA Roy Seger ‘Happy Times’
BEALLARA Patricia McCully ‘Pacific Matriarch’
BRASSIA Verrucosa
COELOGYN Cristata
DENDROBIUM Many Existing hard cane kingianums and Speciosums (long and short cane), Soft canes and Nobiles, and something inbetween a hard cane and a soft cane e.g. Hilda Poxon. (How are these treated, especially over winter – currently in bud). And where does Aggregatum fit?
DOCKRILLIAS
EPIDENDRUM
LAELIAS
Anceps in bud
Anceps ‘Veitchiana x Gueraro’ cold growing exotic laelia
Interceps ‘Henks Choice’ x L. lobata semi alba ‘Lush’ - cold growing
Nemesis
LAELIOCATTLEYAS (Cold growing)
Interceps ‘Butterfly Flash’ x L. anceps ‘Alba” cold growing
Interceps ‘Flouroflash’ mericlone cold growing
MILTONIA Bluntii This flowered well, but I’m not sure if I can keep giving it the conditions it likes, not too sure just how dark it wants it.
MASDEVALLIAS
ODONTOCIDIUMS
Catatante Pacific Sun spots
Colmanara White Teddy Bear Flowered well (Cool Growing) – what is the difference between this and a wildcat?)
Florence Stirling x Actrix In flower Dark red/maroon slight white trim
ONCIDIUMS
Existing Basic Yellow and brown
Kaiulani (Red flowering)
PHAIUS Tankarvillae
SANDERARA Black Star Pacific Red Star is this an ODONTOCIDIUM ?
SARCOCHILUS Unknown seedling crosses, all growing very well.
SARTYLIS Blue Knobs
SLC Angelflare ‘Annetta’ x SLC. Cherry Bee ‘ Red Sun’ Hopefully I will be able to train it to like Melbourne cold winters, but what do I do about water and light?
ZYGOS

With the Colmanara, there were 2 of them, the only difference being one had a white lower "petal", while the other was yellow. One was a wildcat, the other wasn't. What is the difference. They looked identical to me except for the colour?
Thanks, and sorry it is so long,

Rita
Melbourne Australia