Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JLu

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
worm tea use

My question is similar to the one above me and cym 1972 covered the dilution of it in the post above mine (tfyguy). Its regarding using worm tea instead of fertilizer. I keep reading not to use nitrate (urate) and all the orchid fertilizers I've seen in stores have that in high concentrations. So I'm at a loss of finding one for my orchids. The orchids I was planning on using the worm tea on are cymbidium, paphipedilum, phalaenopsis, and hybrids of oncidum alliance. Any advice for me? I am also planning to set up a worm bin if the worm tea is a good idea. Any and all advice welcomed....... Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to orchids4me For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2010, 06:39 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,238 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
I use worm tea (true worm liquid not compost shaken in water) on all my orchids twice a month for the past several years.

The benefit to the plants I have found to be exceptional.

It is not a fertilizer but actually the microbes necessary for plants to process foods. I found that when I used it without additional fertilizer the plants did very well.

I would not be concerned about urea based fertilizers. The recommendation to avoid them is based on the fact they take longer to break down into a for the plants can use. They will break down only slower.

In Florida it is now illegal to use any fertilizer that is not slow release so urea based fertilizers may qualify. The law is too new to know what is going to be necessary.
Filb (02-12-2011), grandmapenguin (04-09-2010), Joe Geoffroy (06-27-2010), LauraGR (04-04-2010), orchids4me (04-07-2010)
Old 04-02-2010, 06:59 AM

maria1971 is on a distinguished road
I've been using worm tea and soluble seaweed extract---and the results have been amazing. My Laelias are going crazy---most of them have 3 growths and multiple eyes.
The Following User Says Thank You to maria1971 For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (04-07-2010)
Old 04-02-2010, 03:44 PM

E-Jag is on a distinguished road
Jerry, I had a 15 or 20 minute discussion this past weekend at the Green Thumb Festival at the University of Tampa with the guy who owns/runs OVE. He indicated that you are a friend of his and stay with him sometimes during a show. I mentioned to him the discussions we have on this site, particularly as regards whether worm tea is or isn't a fertilizer. He told me emphatically that it is a fertilizer - and why - and didn't understand why you believe otherwise. Since you are knowledgeable of OVE and worm tea, this might make for an interesting conversation between you guys sometime, over an adult beverage. But if the man says it is, it probably is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to E-Jag For This Useful Post:
grandmapenguin (04-09-2010), orchids4me (04-07-2010)
Old 04-02-2010, 04:58 PM

JLu is on a distinguished road
If worm tea is a fertilizer then by federal law it has to identify the contents by amount on the label. Can you tell us what the label says? I'd be interested in N,P,K,Mg,Ca, S and the micronutrients C, Cl, Cu, Fe, Mn, Zn, Mo, and B if it's a complete fertilizer. If this guy does not claim it's a complete fertilizer then I'll settle for the first six.

What is required for plant growth is not rocket science or the subject of debate. It is settled science well known to those skilled in the art, not magic foo foo dust. The above elements plus C, H, and O which are obtained from the water and CO2 in the air provide the ingredients needed.

I look forward to hearing what the contents of worm tea are.
MaryPaton likes this.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JLu For This Useful Post:
grandmapenguin (04-09-2010), krpot (04-04-2010), orchids4me (04-07-2010), zaeem (07-06-2010)
Old 04-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,351 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
if you 'geeks' don't mine I will make this thread "sticky'
I think this could carry some very useful information
thanks
orchids4me (04-07-2010)
Old 04-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Smile

By all means fred please do..... A question for all that do use worm tea... Do you use it at full strength or dilute it? I got all my equipment and ingredients to start making some yesterday. Thank all of you for your input so far look forward to more.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:58 PM

E-Jag is on a distinguished road
Dilute it at 50:1, use it every couple of weeks and it will last quite a while. Full strength won't hurt, it's just overkill (so to speak).
The Following User Says Thank You to E-Jag For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (04-07-2010)
Old 04-03-2010, 08:31 PM

Thank you E-jag
Old 04-04-2010, 03:28 AM

willowbanks is on a distinguished road
orchids-4me, what breed of worm did you buy?????

Last edited by willowbanks; 04-04-2010 at 03:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-04-2010, 03:37 AM

I actually got a bag of worm castings to start but will be starting the worm bin next week I'm getting red wigglers (worms)
Old 04-04-2010, 06:07 AM

JLu is on a distinguished road
OK, I don't mean to run this subject into the ground, but before you accuse me of that be sure that you aren't doing it.

Plant tissues when analyzed contain the chemical elements I've named in my earlier post. These elements make up the various specialized parts of the plant. For example, Mg is in the chlorophyll molecule. So we know for a fact that plants must have these elements to live, grow, bloom, and reproduce.

We also know, at least in the US, that someone who claims to produce a fertilizer for sale to the public must print a guaranteed analysis on the container.

Anything that does not contain the necessary elements is not a fertilizer. Any fertilizer that does not have a printed analysis is in violation of US federal law.

So please someone tell me what the worm tea container has printed on it. If it's nothing then it either is not a fertilizer or it's seller is violating the law. I do not want to irritate anyone. That's not productive. I just want to know why someone thinks this is fertilizer just because someone else says it is. Reminds me of the elixir from the old western movies. Cures everything...or maybe nothing.

Last edited by JLu; 04-04-2010 at 06:09 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JLu For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (04-07-2010), zaeem (07-06-2010)
Old 04-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
I think they need a bigger label Our Vital Earth ~ All-About-Worm-Tea
give the link a read
orchids4me (04-07-2010)
Old 04-04-2010, 07:27 AM

Smile

Hi JLu,
Just for the record .... I just wanted to say I'm not selling anything. I don't have the information you are looking for I've not purchased a bottle of worm tea to check a label out but maybe someone has. I was wondering though with the ingredients I'm using maybe that could be figured out (N.P.K, trace minerals) I'm not great with math but I have a 2 cubic foot bag of worm castings and a e cubic ft bag of enriched compost. I will have to look at the bags to see what's added to it but will be 1 cup of each wrapped in cheese cloth to 5 gal water and 1 ounce unsulfured molasses. There are many recipes on the net adding other ingredients such as fish emulsion, kelp, etc. I wasn't planning on using those heard some ingredients you add encourage fungus to grow and don't want that to happen so was keeping to the simplest recipe that I found. But if you are good with math I can check the additives if any to the worm castings and enriched compost and try to break it down that way , ill post it on here for you. In the forum on here jerrymeola has 2 postings on there about worm tea and who he buys from (website).
krpot (04-04-2010)
Old 04-04-2010, 07:32 AM

Smile

JLu while I was typing the above msg. Fred posted the web link on jerrys posting.
Hey fred feel like I'm in the twilight zone you got in my head here lol
Old 04-04-2010, 07:40 AM
Site Administrator

hehehehe

not from Jerry post as I remembered the name and I just serched the net

this is one of Jerrys threads about worm tea http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...ow-up-wow.html
orchids4me (04-04-2010)
Old 04-04-2010, 07:54 AM

Smile

Thanks Fred,
You are correct. The site he posted is where he purchases the tea from I think it was not information about it, though his experiments with the tea sound very impressive, I'm very excited to try and see results with my orchids.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Site Administrator

I see what JLu is saying thou
the seller on that site could have a slight problem on there hands I did read on that site that its a fertilizer

I saw Plant Food but no printed analysis of the contents

( 60/70 minerals & trace elements ) but what are they

Organic Plant Food = fertilizer

so yeah what is on the container
grandmapenguin (04-09-2010), orchids4me (04-07-2010)
Old 04-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Executive Senior Member

Hummer344 is on a distinguished road
I would use the product if it wasn't so expensive. The cost of the product plus shipping makes it prohibitive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hummer344 For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (04-07-2010)
Old 04-04-2010, 10:24 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,844 Posts
Brooke is on a distinguished road
Well Fred thanks for the label!! Actually I lied a little bit. The US law requiring the documentation of fertilizer contents does have a loop hole for "natural" products. Apparently someone in the snake oil business paid off a congressman to get the exemption...imagine that, bribing the government. It seems to me that a legitimate business would post the contents anyway just for marketing purposes.

The label is interesting in saying it has 70 odd micronutrients since plant scientists agree that only 16-18 are actually needed. In addition, there are barely 70 elements on the periodic chart if you ignore the radioactive ones. Some of these are clearly bad for plants so I guess I have a problem with 70 odd.

What is truly laughable is the claim that it cures rash on a human. We're getting into truly scam territory there. Surely that will cause some people to question the claims...I hope!I need to get out an old western movie and see how many conditions the old snake oil salesmen claimed.

Somewhere back in the past, someone posted that OVE worm tea contained 0.5% nitrogen. I don't remember if it listed any other ingredients. Please, if you're tempted to believe this nonsense, go to a university and talk to the horticultural/agricultural department there about these claims. This guy feeds garbage to worms and pours water through the bed to collect an uncontrolled (and uncontrollable) mixture of worm and garbage extract. I cannot imagine how many human fungal, bacterial,and viral diseases exist in that nasty, organic microbe stew. One should keep in mind that nasty little things like anthrax and tetanous reside in similar conditions. If you want to buy this stuff, ask the guy if he wll guarantee freedom from human pathogens. ...And some kind congressman insured that these type products did not need a label...fertilizers do, drugs do, food does, but not a worm digested garbage pile...shameful folks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brooke For This Useful Post:
grandmapenguin (04-09-2010), krpot (04-04-2010), orchids4me (04-07-2010), zaeem (07-06-2010)
Old 04-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Executive Senior Member

dounoharm is on a distinguished road
i tried worm tea....for several months, but did not notice any changes in my orchids....they seemed to grow at about the same rate as always, and those that were flowering or about to flowered normally....so i switched back to msu, its easier and more controlled....i like knowing the exact chemical ratio i am feeding the plants....earthworms in the garden are good, and there they will stay....
orchids4me (04-07-2010)
Old 04-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Junior Member Photobucket

krpot is on a distinguished road
This is an interesting thread. I've been interested in using worm tea but have no idea how to work that in and around the normal fert regimen. I don't want the plants to overdose on some element. I don't know very much on the fert subject, however I'll be watching this thread. I read online that fish emulsion or old aquarium water are great fertilizer high in N, so I the last time I changed the water in my tanks I watered my plants with it. OMG FUNGUS ON EVERYTHING!!! It was gross and a pain to get rid of. I'm all for the more organic methods to fertilize but no more poopoo of any organism for the plants, at least for not until I learn more about it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krpot For This Useful Post:
Onleme (06-27-2010), orchids4me (04-07-2010), zaeem (07-06-2010)
Old 04-06-2010, 07:50 AM

Worm Tea is JUNK FOOD for plants like orchids, it is a source of Nitrogen and lacks the other essential elements for good healthy plant growth.

Jlu's post above outlines the elements plants need and he is spot on.

I believe Jerry should clearly state that he is an Agent for OVE when he recommends the use of Worm Tea on orchids to fellow Geeks.

Bill
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willowbanks For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (04-07-2010), zaeem (07-06-2010)
Old 04-07-2010, 10:17 PM

Smile

Thank you Krpot,
I think I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I had read that fish emulsion and I think kelp also encourage fungus growth (fish tank water must have same effect). That is why I was using a simple recipe only using unsulfured molasses for the food for the bacteria. I don't blame you for turning away from it.
Thanks for your experience input.

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 04-09-2010, 03:53 AM
Junior Member Photobucket

Phoenix7801 is on a distinguished road
I think some folks have some misconceptions about the worm tea theyre buying in stores these days. Most of the worm tea thats sold is anaerobic worm leachate that is made buy flooding worm beds with fresh water. They can bottle it with no ill effects because its already anaerobic and cant get anymore so. Like fish emulsion alot of it is deodorized so that no one will get turn off by the smell. However there is a chance that theres some naughty bacteria is in it. Anaerobic conditions just allow harmful things to happen. For example, a phal in sphag in a stagnant room.

On the other side of things, however, if you were to take Orchids4me's recipe and put an air pump to it and give it about two days, then you'd have a better item: Aerated Compost Tea. By the second day its a dark brown and you can dilute it to the color of weak tea. The only thing is that for the consumer, he'll never have a straight analysis of what the tea contains. If you feed your worms a whole bunch of tomatoes and veggie scraps, their poop and therefore the tea might have alot of nitrogen. Feed them alot of banana peels and theyre might be elevated potassium.

I wouldnt think of worm tea as a fertilizer in the traditional way. Id think of it more as a way to get your orchids some food about every other watering. For example, imagine that the ratio is very low along the lines of .5-.5-.5. If you were to use it on vanda's (which Jerry has recommended I believe) every other day, you'd only ever get a ratio of 7.5-7.5-7.5 after a month. Thats not gonna burn your plants. The only precautions I think someone should take would be the same for any thing your gonna spray on your plants: Try it out first and dont spray it into the growth points at night and when its cold.

I think the best thing i've heard around here is that orchids are tougher that we give them credit for. Most live in trees and thrive with bird poo as there only source of fertilizer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phoenix7801 For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (04-09-2010), zaeem (07-06-2010)
Old 04-09-2010, 04:38 AM

Smile

Thanks phoenix 7801,
I do have the fish pump/air stone set up to aerate the batch in a 5 gal bucket.
Thanks again for your input on here, all is appreciated.

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Old 06-24-2010, 07:30 AM

Onleme is on a distinguished road
One sure does get a bit confussed reading this thread.
We have a constant supply of worm juice which continually drips out of the bottom of the worm bin into a container. From what I can gather it is best to use this as a suppliment on the orchids a couple of times a month. Is this correct? Does it need to be diluted at 1:50 or can it be used stronger without harm.
Steve

Steve & Sonia

Orchids We Grow
Australian Native Dendrobium Hybrids & speciosums, Dendrobiums Softcane, Dendrobiums Hardcane, Dendrochilums, Beallaras, Cattleyas (Cool), Colmanaras, Cymbidiums, Masdevallias, Maxillarias, Miltassias, Miltonias, Odontocidiums, Oncidiums, Paphiopedilums, Phalaenopsis, Sarcochilus, Vandas, Zygopelalums and the list goes on and on and on
The Following User Says Thank You to Onleme For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (06-24-2010)
Old 06-24-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onleme View Post
One sure does get a bit confussed reading this thread.
We have a constant supply of worm juice which continually drips out of the bottom of the worm bin into a container. From what I can gather it is best to use this as a suppliment on the orchids a couple of times a month. Is this correct? Does it need to be diluted at 1:50 or can it be used stronger without harm.
Steve
I'm not exactly sure when collecting it from the worm bin drippings. If it was me using it in that form I would dilute it (very concentrated in that form) I'd have to play with the dilution until it looked like a glass of iced tea color and figure out the portions.
Use it to water and mist with a spritz bottle. Its not fertilizer it just what I call side supplement so to speak. Fertilize as you would normally along with worm tea. It should also be an aphid deterrent (they don't like it) when used as a spritz or misting from what I've heard.
I'm planning to post a thread now that the weathers good on how to make it step by step with photos and a follow up on my orchids with its use from home made worm tea over a little time to show its effects (before and after)..
Jerry also has a thread with a product he uses (not home made)
Thanks for checking this thread out, its been awhile since anyones posted on it.
Thanks
Emmaye.

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Onleme (06-24-2010)
Old 06-24-2010, 08:13 AM

Thanks Emmaye
I will start using it I think, look like weak tea it is.
Be good to see your new thread on this.
We should use it on all the ferns and the vege garden too so its not wasted
Steve

Steve & Sonia

Orchids We Grow
Australian Native Dendrobium Hybrids & speciosums, Dendrobiums Softcane, Dendrobiums Hardcane, Dendrochilums, Beallaras, Cattleyas (Cool), Colmanaras, Cymbidiums, Masdevallias, Maxillarias, Miltassias, Miltonias, Odontocidiums, Oncidiums, Paphiopedilums, Phalaenopsis, Sarcochilus, Vandas, Zygopelalums and the list goes on and on and on
orchids4me (06-24-2010)
Old 06-24-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks Emmaye
I will start using it I think, look like weak tea it is.
Be good to see your new thread on this.
We should use it on all the ferns and the vege garden too so its not wasted
Steve
Just remember DON'T ADD stuff to it like fish emulsion, fish tank water etc. To it, those things promote fungal growth especially with orchids. If you want to fancy it up use fertilizer.... That would. Be the safest way to go ( fish and worms don't mix ! Unless... You've gone fishing lol)
Emmaye

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Old 06-24-2010, 06:18 PM

Steve & Sonia

Orchids We Grow
orchids4me (06-25-2010)
Old 06-24-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchids4me View Post
( fish and worms don't mix ! Unless... You've gone fishing lol)
Emmaye

What about if I mix my usual fertiliser in worm tea instead of water
Steve

Steve & Sonia

Orchids We Grow
orchids4me (06-25-2010)
Old 06-25-2010, 01:38 AM
Executive Senior Member

Andrew is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just remember DON'T ADD stuff to it like fish emulsion, fish tank water etc.
Can you expland on your bad experiences with fish emulsion. I use it on my orchids with out any problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (06-25-2010)
Old 06-25-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Can you expland on your bad experiences with fish emulsion. I use it on my orchids with out any problem.
Hi Andrew,
I'm really glad you responded. I'm not sure if it was the brand used or if it was a combination of it with home made worm tea vs store bought worm tea. Store bought lasts longer (shelf life) home made has to be used in about 2 days. It might be the microbes in home made mixed with fish emulsion but it make fungus grow like crazy. Up further in this thread you will she a post from another member who used fish tank water and had extremely bad results. Another member posted up top about sea weed or kelp I don't remember which with good results but not sure if hers was home made. In home made you use un sulfured molasses that is the food for the microbes while the bag of worm castings are steeping for 48 hrs or so in an aerated bucket of un chlorinated water that has been aerated for 24 hrs before the bag is added to the bucket.
So I don't recommend using fish emulsion with home mad unless someone else has had good results and a ratio to use that's safe and a good brand to use in case that was part of the problem.
If you're having good results maybe share your ratio and band mixed with which type of worm tea you are using so everyone has a good experience too. Me at this point I'm afraid to use any fish products at the cost of my orchids unless someone has had good results with it mixed in home made specifically to use on orchids. Other plants may be ok with it but still weary to try on chids unless someone can verify home made vs store bought and a ratio used.
Always happy for your input .... By the way used your media mix for the Egret corm, its doing wonderfully.
Thank you Andrew
Emmaye

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Old 06-25-2010, 07:58 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,238 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
This thread has deteriorated again to the members that have never used it and those that do. (with an exception to donoharm who tried it and had no pros or cons)

I sell the OVE brand of worm tea because it works. I did not sell it when I first recommended it. For my own use I add two products made from seaweed.

Some recommendations for those interested. OVE worm tea is a process of recycling the liquid until it is a strong concentrate. The liquid that leaches out of the bed is much weaker. I would use the home made full strength. Home made has a shelf life of only a day to two. Since it is free use it on everything that grows. It is great on vegetables and herbs.

Worm castings are worm manure and leachate is the skin secretions of the worm. They are not the same thing. Cows produce manure and also milk. You can not shake cow manure in water and get milk, not even chocolate milk, they are two different things. You can not shake castings in water and get the microbes in skin leachate.

Castings are an excellent product but serve a different purpose. They work much the same as cow manure.

E-jag - the difference in my comment that it is not a fertilizer is based on how these threads deteriorate. Most members here consider fertilizer to be N-P-K. In that definition it is not fertilizer as the amounts are negligible. I posted the actual lab analysis a couple of years ago. From memory the Nitrogen was less that 6 ppm Phosphorus 0 and Potassium under 3 ppm.

The most common dictionary definition is anything that makes a plant grow. Then it would be a fertilizer. Carl and I have had many a conversation over an adult brew.

I offered to send a lab analysis to anyone that wanted one but no one asked for it. OVE has three separate labs analyze every batch of castings and leachate they produce. It is why I like their products.

Brooke would you really want every bag of cow manure. peat moss, compose etc to require a lab analysis and labeling?

I also like that you can not overdose with these products. I have added concentrate to make a 10 gallon spray tank and used it without remembering to add the water. That was a waste of money but harmless to the orchids.

It may be interesting to remember that until the 1930s there was no such thing as chemical fertilizer. Plants grew and crops harvested naturally. Anyone that has ever raised a vegetable garden knows that if you have worms in the bed the plants thrive.

There is much valid scientific research on worm leachate on the Internet. A sizable amount of work has been done by Ohio State University Horticultural department on food crops. Look it up.

Now lets get really controversial. An organic citrus farm (central Florida) used OVE worm leachate on rows of trees and not on others. This winter was the coldest on record in Florida and he noticed less damage on the sprayed trees (not scientific but observational results). He was only intended to compare growth. It made me look at my one Meyer lemon tree (where I dump my excess after soaking seedlings) and I had flowers in April when the temperatures were still going down to 35-40 every night. I had fruit in May and it never dropped flowers or fruit. This small tree has over 200 lemons on it now.

I grow about 10,000 orchids outside under shade cloth. I do not heat the shade houses and I have not lost an orchid to cold in two years. My high low thermometer showed temperatures from 40-104 every day all winter. I do turn on the overhead sprinkles every night it is going under 35. I run them all night which is a formula for Phythion fungus (moist and cool). In two years I only needed to cut off about 30 leaves from fungus. Not a single dead plant from Phythion fungus.

No real scientific work but observations have value. I do not pay $6000 a month for propane heat like many Florida nurseries.
-k- (06-25-2010), grandmapenguin (06-25-2010), Joe Geoffroy (06-27-2010), Julez (07-07-2010), orchids4me (06-25-2010)
Old 06-25-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:

What about if I mix my usual fertiliser in worm tea instead of water
Steve
you could dothat for your dilution i don't think that would hurt.

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Old 06-25-2010, 08:51 AM

thank you Jerry
again thanks for clairifying and clearing up any misconceptions. The product by OVE, is it both letchae (spelling?) and worm castings together in each bottle or they totally seperate bottles? ok if you use the drippings from worm bins full strength is that only for watering with it in that form or is it safe to spritz the plants with straight drippings? and making castings only in bucket same question safe to spritz at full strength? i guess my worry is mucking up the leaves with the brown fluid but i guess birds poop on them in the wild lol so i guess its a silly question. but any other tips regarding the home made type you have appreciated. I did mention earlier yesterday on here that you had the kind that could be purchased, I hope you don't mind that I mentioned an that in conversation to a member in this thread.
thanks again Jerry
Emmaye

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Old 06-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Executive Senior Member

Quote:
If you're having good results maybe share your ratio and band mixed with which type of worm tea you are using so everyone has a good experience too.
The mix is about 1:10 worm tea (made from fresh castings, not the waste leachate) with commercial fish emulsion + trace elements and commercial seaweed extract. The fish emulsion and seasweed extract are used as part of my normal fertiliser regime. The worm tea is added whenever I have a chance to make it up. I have never noticed any problem with fungus when using it. Then again I grow my orchids in a shadehouse in a mild temperate environment and I rarely experience fungal problems in my orchids to start with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (07-02-2010)
Old 06-26-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymeola
This thread has deteriorated again to the members that have never used it and those that do.
I don't think this thread has deteriorated Jerry, I believe it is educational for those Geeks that do not understand good orchid plant nutrition.

I use 44 gallons of worm tea over 1,440 square metres of lawn turf every month as a low level source of Nitrogen, every time a Bowling Green or your own yard grass is mowed you lower the Nitrogen level in the soil. It is a great product for this but I would never use it on my orchids.

Quote:
It is great on vegetables and herbs.
I agree totally, but vegetables and herbs are mostly leaf crops grown in soil and are not orchids that we want to flower.

Quote:
Most members here consider fertilizer to be N-P-K. In that definition it is not fertilizer as the amounts are negligible. I posted the actual lab analysis a couple of years ago. From memory the Nitrogen was less that 6 ppm Phosphorus 0 and Potassium under 3 ppm.
Again I agree, I've been saying worm tea is not a fertilizer all along yet some Geeks still think they are fertilizing their orchids by using it. With the chemical elements that you quote as being less than 6 ppm Nitrogen, zero Phosphorus and 3 ppm Potassium, at those minimal rates it is hardly worth the effort to put it onto your orchid plants.

Quote:
I also like that you can not overdose with these products. I have added concentrate to make a 10 gallon spray tank and used it without remembering to add the water. That was a waste of money but harmless to the orchids.
Well that doesn't surprise me at all, the concentrate is that weak in chemical substance.

Quote:
Anyone that has ever raised a vegetable garden knows that if you have worms in the bed the plants thrive.
That's a very true comment Jerry, but we do not grow our orchids in a soil based manner.

Quote:
A sizable amount of work has been done by Ohio State University Horticultural department on food crops. Look it up.
Jerry, I have read a great many scientific papers on worm tea in relation to food production and turf management, it is a great product for those purposes and applications. How about finding a scientific study that says worm tea is good for orchids grown in media, I don't think you will be able to find one considering worm tea does not contain the 6 basic elements plus trace elements required for this type of plant.

Quote:
Now lets get really controversial. An organic citrus farm (central Florida) used OVE worm leachate on rows of trees and not on others. This winter was the coldest on record in Florida and he noticed less damage on the sprayed trees (not scientific but observational results). He was only intended to compare growth. It made me look at my one Meyer lemon tree (where I dump my excess after soaking seedlings) and I had flowers in April when the temperatures were still going down to 35-40 every night. I had fruit in May and it never dropped flowers or fruit. This small tree has over 200 lemons on it now.
That's great Jerry but what has this got to do with growing orchids???

Quote:
I grow about 10,000 orchids outside under shade cloth. I do not heat the shade houses and I have not lost an orchid to cold in two years. My high low thermometer showed temperatures from 40-104 every day all winter. I do turn on the overhead sprinkles every night it is going under 35. I run them all night which is a formula for Phythion fungus (moist and cool). In two years I only needed to cut off about 30 leaves from fungus. Not a single dead plant from Phythion fungus.

No real scientific work but observations have value. I do not pay $6000 a month for propane heat like many Florida nurseries.
Admittedly I'm not a big commercial grower like you Jerry, I'm only a simple hobby grower that grows somewhere between 5,000 to 6,000 orchids under shade cloth out doors in winter temperatures down to and below zero c.
I don't loose plants or have any fungal problems during winter.

Are you saying that because you use worm tea it protects your orchids in some way against the cold and fungal attacks????

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to willowbanks For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (07-02-2010)
Old 06-26-2010, 10:27 PM

mmmmmm
I think I have opened up a can of worms here
Steve

Steve & Sonia

Orchids We Grow
Old 06-26-2010, 10:31 PM

Nah, just the usual worm tea debate.

Bill
orchids4me (07-02-2010)
Old 06-27-2010, 03:32 AM

BluPeaches is on a distinguished road
I have a vermicompost bin so I want to give this worm tea thing a try? How do I go about collecting the tea?
Thanks in advance for the replies.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
mmmmmm
I think I have opened up a can of worms here
Steve
Naah, you can see by the dates its been a can of "worms" all along, just new eggs hatched a few days ago and need to be fed lol. Its all good!
Jerry promotes a product that has a different process how its made and is marketed for retail. This thread I created and is about home made worm tea for personal use. its great when the debates come through we all learn something from it about big label/processed differently and its contents vs a simple home made recipe at a fraction of the cost especially if you have your own worm bin to get your main ingredient from which in part both contain. Just processed differently and retail type has other additives in its process.
So no worries
Emmaye

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Old 06-27-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPeaches View Post
I have a vermicompost bin so I want to give this worm tea thing a try? How do I go about collecting the tea?
Thanks in advance for the replies.
Collect the drippings from your pan and water with it or use a spray bottle mist the pants. Jerry noted full isn't harmful, most worm tea is usually the color of tea if you want to have enought to do a few and don't have enough of your vermiliquid (sp?) Add some water to make it work for your need at the time. You can make the tea I have the recipe posted in this thread you will need a 5 gal bucket, nylon or cheese cloth, fish pump, airline tubing, and air stones to aerate the water. Use the worm castings from your bin (at the bottom of bin) and un suffered molasses Aerate the water 24 hrs 1st before you put the compost sack in to remove the chlorine. Then steep the bag aerated in bucket of water for 2 days you will see a bubbly froth on top when its ready.
If you choose to make batches to water everything and anything.... Has to be used in 2 days

I will making a step by step with pics of supplies and how to set up etc. to post on here soon. Just need a couple days off of work in a row to do it.
Hope this helps
Emmaye

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
BluPeaches (06-27-2010)
Old 06-27-2010, 02:20 PM

BluPeaches is on a distinguished road
Thank you. I will try this and see what happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to BluPeaches For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (07-02-2010)
Old 06-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Member Photobucket

Joe Geoffroy is on a distinguished road
I have been using worm tea since Jerry Meola introduced it and I can't say enough about it.

I am very pleased with the results, never did my Vandas ever do this well. and the Cats are looking much better also.

It might be just the way things were suppose to happen but I care that the results are terrific.

joe
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Geoffroy For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (07-02-2010)
Old 07-01-2010, 06:55 PM

Joe, does that mean you only use worm tea on your Vandas and no other products????

Bill
orchids4me (07-02-2010)
Old 07-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Member Photobucket

Joe Geoffroy is on a distinguished road
No I alternate between worm tea and a regular orchid fertilizer. BUT..........when I was using Orchid Fert. I really never got much out of it , yes some blooms but not like what I get from using the worm tea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Geoffroy For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (07-05-2010)
Old 07-05-2010, 06:57 PM

Can I ask a question without seeming stupid?
Why not just use the liquid from the wormbin without adding extra bits
Sonia

Steve & Sonia

Orchids We Grow
orchids4me (07-05-2010)
Old 07-05-2010, 10:33 PM

Smile

Quote:
Can I ask a question without seeming stupid?
Why not just use the liquid from the wormbin without adding extra bits
Sonia
Hi Sonia I think Steve asked that also and Jerry made a notation that its ok to do that. I just want to make it in quantities to be able to water all the chids at same time. Makes it easier for me to keep track, instead of who got it when so to speak( than just a few at a time while waiting for more of the drippings.)
Thanks
Emmaye

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Old 07-06-2010, 06:37 PM

Thanks Joe, that blows your worm tea recommendation out the window.

Good to see you are giving your plants regular orchid fertilizer, that's what they need.

Bill
Old 01-16-2011, 04:08 PM

dannyboy is on a distinguished road
Cool worm tea

hi all where can i buy some worm tea i live in the uk near leicester thanks .i have 3 plahs with 1 struggling i think it will benifit using it .
Old 01-16-2011, 05:02 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,447 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
i have 3 plahs with 1 struggling
Are you giving them good phalaenopsis culture and conditions? See the culture sheet in the Orchid Care section of this forum or go to AOS | Members Only Area to get a phalaenopsis culture sheet. It will tell you what culture (light, temperatures, moisture, etc) it expects.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Anky

Upon reading all this: I just purchased from Ebay a half gal plastic bottle(I will look if it has a label of contents); arriving to me in a couple of days. I will try this on my newly purchased ordinary species that are dispensable that I can still get from growers...if it works then I will give it to my rare species...that have been with me for 7 yrs...
Old 06-26-2011, 07:04 PM

Gutz54 is on a distinguished road
Hi guys-- We started using the worm tea about 6 months ago and I don't know if its my imagination or just wishful thinking-- but most of them are growing like crazy--- they seem to be doing much better that i've ever seen them do before.This is by no means a "scientific" experiment-- we mix it dilute with our regular orchid fertilizer as it says on the label with a little superthrive.Its funny as it says it cures psoriasis, skin fungus and i think dandruff in humans as well!!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Anky

My Earthworm Tea arrived from Ken's Organics I bought from Ebay. It says on the label: Plant Food & soil inoculant. A fermented extract of vermicompost. Nothing more is said about its ingredients and chemical compositions. Only directions and the right amount per ratio of water. I will try this on my newly bought orchids and I will tell you after a week...
Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 PM

Hi Anky,
let us know how it works for you. I think it will take longer than a week to see results though. Maybe do some weekly photos of the plants you use this on and watch to see the changes over a perid of weeks and months don't know of anyproduct that has instant results so keep a photo journal and keep us posted this will be interesting. Haven't heard word of the particular product your using from this vendor yet .
Thanks for posting on here
Emmaye

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 PM

Location: Lexington/Redbank, SC (current) -- Tavares, FL (hometown)
vanda_obsession is on a distinguished road
I have been interested in worm tea use also... will be looking forward to some maybe before and after pics?
Old 06-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Executive Senior Member

I've got 15 Catt seedlings (flask mates) that I've divided into 3 groups: 5x worm leachate (the liquid is passed 5 times through my home worm bin) + fish emulsion, 5x fish emulsion (-ve control), 5x synthetic fertilizer + seaweed extract (my standard orchid fertilizer). This trial is really for my own evaluation. The sample size is small and, whilst the plants are grown under the same conditions, the conditions aren't suitably controlled; then again, improvements under controlled conditions that aren't seen under the normal growing conditions are of no use to me. I've been fertilizing them this way for 3 months. We're heading into winter now so I'll give them until the end of next season before drawing any conclusions but I've got to be honest, I'm not seeing anything wonderous from the plants treated with worm tea at this stage.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Anky

Okies, I will post on July 27th my weekly pics of before and after pictures...
Old 06-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Thanked 5,382 Times in 3,092 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz54 View Post
Hi guys-- we mix it dilute with our regular orchid fertilizer as it says on the label with a little superthrive.
If you're mixing it w/regular fert and SuperThrive how do you know it's not the fertilizer and SuperThrive?

I've used worm compost in my landscape beds in the past so I tried WT on my orchids a couple/few years back. Personally, I didn't see much of anything from it. Well, it did make my sphag quite icky (technical term) but I didn't notice any increase in growth.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:21 PM

Gutz54 is on a distinguished road
Katrina-- I know what you are saying-- thats why I said it's far from a scientific experiment!!LOL. Before we just used the fert and the super thrive-- since we added the worm tea there seems to be a significant increase in growth and over all vigor. Like I said it might just all be wishful thinking but personally I think it's great.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Thanked 5,382 Times in 3,092 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Might also be because it's the growing season for our 'chids. Mine are putting out roots and new growths like crazy right now...it's what they do this time of the year in the Northern hemisphere.