Orchid Forum Orchid Care

Orchid Forum Orchid Care (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/)
-   Newbie Questions (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/newbie-questions-63/)
-   -   Who would you order from? (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/newbie-questions-63/who-would-you-order-from-1492/)

c.mcadams 12-14-2006 10:36 PM

Who would you order from?

I have only one orchid, which I bought at my local Home Depot.
I want to get more now, but I want to order them so I can look at a wide selection, any suggestions of a reasonably priced, wide selection, from a reliable dealer?

mayres 12-15-2006 01:21 AM

Where do you live. I highly recommend visiting local area orchid growers and orchid society members if they are available. They provide a local wealth of growing information for your area among other benefits. If this is not possible then the next question would be what kind of orchids are you interested in purchasing - different vendors have various sternghts in terms of what they specialize in.

Fabolusus 12-15-2006 06:26 PM

My absolute favorite dealer is Carter and Holmes...They have a huge selection of quality orchids. Everything I ever ordered from them showed up on time and was in excellent condition, with huge fat psuedobulbs, tons of aerial roots and usually arrive in spike. Also, they always give a free plant for every five you order!

Maddy 12-15-2006 08:24 PM

Carter & Holmes or Orchids.com (Norman's Orchids) are the ones I've ordered from and had good luck with.

arleneg 12-15-2006 09:06 PM

Besides grocery stores, orchid shows, and local orchid society (which I recently joined), most of my orchids were bought from Exotic Orchids of Maui, Aloha Orchids, and Andy's Orchids (specializing in species and mounted orchids).

Lucinda Brown 12-15-2006 10:46 PM

Favourite sellers

All the above mentioned dealers are great,I agree.Heavenly Orchids,both on ebay and the internet are also quality plants and people.Great customer service as are our new Orchid Geeks-Waldor Orchids.I also purchase a lot from Machiela's Orchids and Nia's Orchids on ebay.Check them out!:cool:

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ 12-16-2006 10:47 PM

I like Exotic Orchids of Maui (EOOM), since their seedings always bloom very young, must be some kind of good culture they use. But you have to be careful with anything they grow in medium bark, as they often have bush snails in the mix.

matthewjohn 12-17-2006 12:12 AM

I've also bought from Carter&Holmes and there stuff did come in excellent condition. One small phal I bought was blooming size but I didn't believe them until it sent up a spike about two monthes after I got it and is stating to form its first bud. I guess you just have to believe the experts. I've also dealt with Parkside Orchids in Pa. I've never ordered anything since I live as my fiance would say way to close and just take a Sunday drive as I call it. But the staff there is excellent and extremely helpful and the plants are in great conditon.