Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 03:58 PM

bemarine is on a distinguished road
Whats wrong with my Phycosis Mariposa ???

Ok, I did get the thread with the culture sheet for this orchid. It said to water often. But, then on a thread today I saw people saying to let dry out?

Does anyone know why the stick is growing all curvy? It has been growing alot, at first straight but now going in a curve. I keep it where my Phals are. Should I put it outside??

Pic 3-Whats with the purple veins on the leaf? Does that mean its dying?

Pic 4-bulb shriviled??that ok?

How tall does the stalk get before it blooms? All the same or shorter if young plant?

Help friends!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04243.jpg (31.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04248.jpg (47.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04246.jpg (34.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04247.jpg (45.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04241.jpg (49.5 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by bemarine; 05-21-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Senior Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

janet_a is on a distinguished road
picture?

and have you turned the plant? the spike will phototrope. i have to make sure to keep mine turned towards the window until the flower fully opens or it'll get all funky.

where are these veins?

now, if mine (a hildos) would only grow me a new pbulb....

http://www.oneplusyou.com/q/v/caffeine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Apart from the utility of binomials for standardizing reference for effective communication, Laelia Speciosa is a tad easier to pronounce and spell than its Atzec name chichiltictepetzacuxochitl."

--Alec Pridgeon
Old 05-21-2009, 04:16 PM

bemarine is on a distinguished road
Sorry trying to upload pics. At work and cant minimize them here, sized wise. Will get to it later when I get home! I do need help.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:02 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
I grow a lot of Psychopsis and Mariposa is one of them The correct spelling is Psychopsis Mariposa. Pyp. Mariposa (Pyp. papilio x Pyp. Kalihi) It is a hybrid not a cultivar that gets " ".

I have never seen a culture sheet that says to water these heavily but I find they will accept heavy watering and also can be allowed to dry like Oncidium and Cattleya. The big pseudobulb holds a lot of water.

They do have a tendency to lose roots, that may be a rot or just part of its growing. It does not seem to kill the plants but does require stabilization in the pot while new roots grow.

If by veins you mean they seem to be accented and slightly raised from the leaf then yes it is a lack of water. If you have been watering regularly then the roots are bad and the plant can not absorb water into the plant. If this is the case, remove it from the pot and clean the bad roots. Clip it to the top of the pot and water modestly until it starts to grow again. I would leave the spike even if the roots are bad.

The spikes tend to grow in all directions on this and other Psychopsis I just accept it. When the spike gets several feet long it will look normal regardless of how it looks at the bottom.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:59 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymeola View Post
... It is a hybrid not a cultivar that gets " ".
This is not correct. No orchid name appears in regular (double) quotation marks " ". Hybrid names (grex) do not appear with any punctuation. Cultivar names (cultivar ephitets) appear in single quotation marks ' '.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:15 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
I think you are talking about the markings on the leaves that are purplish? I think that's normal and is part of the appeal of this orchid.

Maybe another clear pic. of the veins may help.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

trinigirl is on a distinguished road
I bought a psychopsis at the HOS also, the same day you bought yours. However, mine was already potted.

I noticed pitting(for want of a better word) on your leaves, I don't know what is causing that. Mine does not have those holey looking things. I don't really see the marking on the leaves in pic 3 which is common for this orchid.

I let mine dry out before watering. I grow in Houston also like you, but I do not have enough history with this plant to say for sure what it likes. I am just treating it like an oncid, it seems to be doing fine. Mine is a Mendenhall Hildos.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:45 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,792 Posts
rcb is on a distinguished road
bemarine, according to the Psychopsis culture sheet on the AOS website, these are the culture recommendations.

temps 60F to 90F
lights 1800 - 3000 footcandles - comments that high light gives smaller flowers, shadier conditions less flowers, but they are fatter and more highly colored
water - prefer moist conditions but prefer to nearly dry out between waterings
potting - they do not like a stale mix

I had heard that they do not like being repotted, but don't like stale mix either, so mine are in clear plastic pots, with lava rock, that way I can check on the roots without disturbing them, and the lava rock doesn't break down, so I don't have to repot until it really outgrows the pot.

One more thing, in case you don't know, don't cut the spike when done flowering, it will continue to bloom from it. On the one I have, the spike is at least 3 years old, and is budding right now again.

good luck

"I carefully described to Huxley the shooting out of the pollinia in Catasetum, and received for an answer, 'Do you really think I can believe all that?'" - Darwin, 1868

www.orchidsnhoyas.blogspot.com
Old 05-22-2009, 07:45 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,844 Posts
Brooke is on a distinguished road
I grow mine in catt light and keep them more moist than a catt but not as moist as a phal. I keep hearing they don't like their roots disturbed but it has never bothered mine. I repot when they need it. I grow them in clay pots in the CHC mix.

The "veins" you see are the pattern on the leaves and is normal.

Good luck - they are easy plants to grow.

Brooke
Old 05-23-2009, 05:53 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
Now that we see pictures it is easier.

The curve in the flower stem is normal. It is still months away from flowering and will probably be double or triple that size before flowering.

The holes in the leaf are bug or mechanical damage and nothing to be concerned about.

The roots look very good compared to some of mine.

The plants like to be pot bound in small pots, but I never had a problem re-potting. Disturbing the roots does not seem to be an issue.

Psychopsis are very hardy. I have not been able to kill one yet and they have gotten some terrible treatment on occasion.

The coloration on the leaves is a little unusual but nothing I would be concerned about. I have several other hybrids that look like this all the time. Mariposa are usually a cleaner leaf, but it should not effect the health of the plant.

You've got one you can enjoy.