Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2006, 03:06 PM

pureEVA is on a distinguished road
What's wrong with my Fortune Saltzman phal?

I have two phal orchids - one unknown and the other is a Fortune Saltzman. I've had the unknown phal for almost three years now, and it has bloomed 2 out of those 3 years. It has been through a lot, but is very healthy now with a nice long spike & green buds.

I've had the Saltzman for about a year and a half. I keep both my orchids in the same window, but it seems to be having a lot more trouble spiking. It was actually the first one to spike and has also grown two side spikes. I thought it was happy, but then the new leaf that was also growing started to brown & darken at the tip. The area went down and down the leaf until I cut it off. The leaf is growing fine now. Then I discovered that one of the tiny buds emerging from one of the side spikes was dying/dead. The side spike itself was turning brownish and it felt spongy instead of firm. So I thought.. hmmm, maybe this plant can't support three spikes and nine leaves. Afterall, there weren't as many roots on it as my other phal. So I cut off the side spike, assuming it was doomed. The other two spikes have been growing very slowly since then.

I live in the NW so the tempuratures have been fluctuating a lot recently. Yesterday it was about 76 degrees and very sunny. When I looked at my plants last night they looked like they had enjoyed the sunlight - except that my Saltzman had a tiny bud that looked like it turned BLACK. No signs of sunburn on the leaves at all (or even any purple hues). The tip of the bud still looks alive (its dark green & purple), but I'm not sure about the rest. Did I fry it in 76 degree weather?? Or is this some other kind of ailment that has something to do with what I was talking about before? I would appreciate any thoughts or advice anyone could share with me!
Old 05-11-2006, 11:00 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
You certainly did not fry it in the heat since mine have been in 92 degree weather for a month now.

temperature fluctuations can cause buds to drop. I lose more phal buds than I care to admit. Root rot can also bring about the symptoms you discribe but your plants sound too healty for this to be the problem.

I think it was just an unfortuante change the plants did not like. You can do the same thing another dozen times and have no problems.