Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2006, 02:55 PM

Location: I am currently stopping with my mother in Ripon but work in Harrogate.
yorkie is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Whats wrong with my Dendrobium Phalaenopsis?

I have a new dendrobium phalaenopsis and the leaves are starting to go brown from the bottom one up? I don't know what to do!!!!
Old 08-18-2006, 05:06 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Part of the normal process is for them to drop (brown) a bottom leaf or two and grow another leaf or two - maintaining the approximate number of total leaves (once semi-mature). Unless you have other symptoms that you have not described you may be describing a normal process.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:38 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
Your leaf lose is probably natural. I use as a general rule that all leaves on dendrobiums die within two years (not true but close enough to make be feel better).

With all orchids you should be concerned with the new growth and less concerned about the old leaves that die naturally.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Mike, are you confusing a Dendrobium phalaenopsis with a Phalaenopsis? Leaf loss on Dens always starts on a mature cane, atleast from what I can remember. Yorkie, like Jerry says, most Dens don't hold their leaves very long. Cynthia

Last edited by Cynthia, Prescott, AZ; 08-19-2006 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:28 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Yep - you are absolutely correct (as usual). I believe my Emma White is this type of orchid - very normal for leaves to yellow, brown and fall off of mature canes and then often are left with just a few green leaves up near the top. Meanwhile new canes grow up with the full complement bottom to top and flower and then the cycle repeats itself. The pot has a complement of canes with just a couple leaves each and a cane with half its leaves and a cane with all its leaves. :-)