Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2017, 03:55 PM

MangaOrchid21 is on a distinguished road
Vanda help

Hello All,

Ive had this vanda for a little over a year now and im just so confused with it..
I got it in 2015 around november in full bloom with lovely purple flowers very waxy and large with an ok root system, i hung her in front of a large window where she got a ton of bright light. I started noticing that she would not grow her roots first then i noticed she was getting a little burnt so i moved her away from this window to a shadier spot, still not root growth.
I water her everyday and mist all the time, i dont usually fertilize, i have a couple of times only to find burnt roots even thou i mix in less than the recommended dose of fertilizer, my water is rain water or reverse osmosis water. She has grown a new leaf but that is it. I wonder is it because im not fertilizing or could there be something else going on?? I just want her to grow some roots...thats it, dont even mind not having flowers.

Sent from my SM-J700M using Tapatalk

Last edited by MangaOrchid21; 01-14-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:11 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,233 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
Vandas need a ton of fertilizer, put some in your spray bottle, that's why no root growth. See my first image, this is what they should look like.

Also in Fall before the temp drops too much, load them up with Epson Salts, for the magnesium as they can't absorb it in cold weather.

Also, see if you can get some Grandfather's Beard / Spanish Moss to surround the roots to keep the humidity up around them. Your house humidity may be too low and the Grandfather's Beard will keep humidity around the roots. (see second photo) by spraying it, it will help keep that moist atmosphere that Vandas need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4425.jpg (75.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1688.jpg (72.1 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Anton; 01-14-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:08 PM

MangaOrchid21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton View Post
Vandas need a ton of fertilizer, put some in your spray bottle, that's why no root growth. See my first image, this is what they should look like.

Also in Fall before the temp drops too much, load them up with Epson Salts, for the magnesium as they can't absorb it in cold weather.

Also, see if you can get some Grandfather's Beard / Spanish Moss to surround the roots to keep the humidity up around them. Your house humidity may be too low and the Grandfather's Beard will keep humidity around the roots. (see second photo) by spraying it, it will help keep that moist atmosphere that Vandas need.
Thank you, ill try to get the moss and will fertilize more often!

Sent from my SM-J700M using Tapatalk