Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2007, 11:22 PM

Cantando is on a distinguished road
Troubleshooting.

I have a young cattleya and it has lost its roots almost entirely, most likely due to overwatering before I became aware how careful you have to be with that. The leaves have become wrinkled. I treated it with fungicide and let it dry out for long periods of time to try to encourage new root growth, but nothing seems to be working. What options do I have?

Also, the leaves on the dendrobium have started to turn yellow and fall off. I checked the roots, and they were all dead so I removed them. What do I do now?

I have attached some pictures. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5845.JPG (106.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5847.JPG (87.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5844.JPG (98.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Member Photobucket

Fabolusus is on a distinguished road
When watering catts, you should thoroughly drench it and then let it dry out completely before watering again. During periods of active growth, you may have to do this twice a week. As for the root situation, I have had great succsess with dyna grow k-l-n and superthrive. Prepare a solution according to the directions and allow the plant to soak for 15-20 minutes. Then add 2-3 drops per gallon every time you water until you see the roots emerge. I bought this phal a year ago from the home depot "rack of death". It had 2 roots that weren't rotted. I used a combo of the dyna grow and superthrive for 3 months, and now a year later you can see how aggressively the roots have grown. Many have grown right through leaves! I didn't have much hope for it at first, but now I'm proud to announce that it is sending up a spike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0263.jpg (70.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0264.jpg (33.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0265.jpg (37.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0266.jpg (57.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 02-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sharyn is just fantasticSharyn is just fantastic
Arrow

I just lost all the roots on a small catt. For the past several days, I've had it in a zip lock bag doing the "sphag & bag" thing." Too soon to give you results. I'll update you when I see some new roots. Check out the following links for help. And, Good Luck!

http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/new...ighlight=sphag
http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...ighlight=sphag
Old 02-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Executive Senior Member

Sharyn is just fantasticSharyn is just fantastic
Fabolusus: Did you loose all the roots on your catt.? And did you leave your orchids in the medium while treating them? The roots on my little catt. were completely gone except for one root - that's why it's presently in the bag.
You're right about Home Depot's rack of death. Congrats on saving yours and the reward of a new spike.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
I highly recommend the Sphag and Bag routine. Your plant will be maintaned as long as necessary for new growth followed by new roots. It may be months before this happens, and the S&B will hold the plant in a kind of stasis until the time is right.

Prescott Orchid Society
Old 02-19-2007, 12:29 PM

I have both of my plants in the bags now. I just noticed the cattleya actually has some tiny new growth on it, how long should I keep it in the bag?

Also, what should I do about light while they are in the bags? Obviously you can't keep them in sunlight for long or they'll cook. Should they be kept in a fairly dark place, or be given plenty of light?
Old 02-22-2007, 12:24 AM

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Bright indirect light is OK. Keep the Catt in the bag until you see new roots coming from the new growth. I would definitely not put the Den in a bag. It is a seasonal grower, and expects to be dry this time of year. You could easily get terminal rot in the Den if kept in the bag. I would just keep it in alternating damp and dry conditions, with longer periods in the dry condition until it starts to grow in the spring, assuming you are in the northern hemi-sphere. Would be nice to up date your profile with your location. When the Den starts to grow, it will also start a nice flush of new roots and will get established rapidly. Much faster than the Catt.

Prescott Orchid Society
Old 02-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Member Photobucket

Sharyn: Yes, I started treating it while it was bagged by periodically soaking the base of the plant and the two remaining roots in the superthrive/dyragrow solution for 15-20 minutes. You don't have to use rooting hormones, but in my experience it seems that they can speed the process up.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:17 PM

I added some info to my profile. I'm in Newport News, VA. The catt looks to be just around to corner from making a strong comeback, but will obviously take plenty of time to grow substantial roots. What should I do with the den instead of keeping it in the bag? It has no roots or new growth of any kind whatsoever. Are you saying it would be best to simply let it lay around and occasionally spend some time in the moist bag?
Old 02-23-2007, 11:54 AM
Member Photobucket

It has no roots or leaves? If so, then it should be left in the bag at all times. Even if you do manage to save it, it will probably be a few years before it blooms again.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:18 PM
orchid126

Cantando, dendrobiums are propagated by laying a cane right across the medium, and roots spring up at each node, and several plants come from this methold. So you stand a very good chance of getting your dendrobium to root in the bag.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:44 PM

No, NOT in the bag at all. This plant is dormant. It does not require high humidity and will suffer the consequences if you bag it (100% humidity). You can leave it around, and mist it every day or 3 or 4. This will keep it from dehydrating too much. Keep it upright, as when the new growth starts, you want it to get going in the right orientation. Now, there is also the posibility that, when he roots were rotted, the eyes at the base were also ruined. If this is the case, you will see growth from the sides of the cane instead of at the base. If you see this and allow time for the base to start a growth, you can conclude that there are no eyes, and then go ahead with the cane on its side thing, with the new growths at pot level. Growths should start very soon.

Prescott Orchid Society