Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Plant lady
  • 1 Post By Fishmom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2018, 02:12 PM

Kdl is on a distinguished road
Should I cut the spike or allow to rebloom?

I received these orchids from a neighbor who was moving and am learning the detailed nature of caring for orchids. They all had beautiful blooms when I received them about a month ago but since many of the blooms have wilted and fallen off. Now that I have realized it was indeed just the regular season for them to fall (I think) I am not as worried. I am trying to figure out if these are new flower buds on the end or if I need to cut the spikes back. Any advice is much appreciated! Any feedback as to what I can do to care for these, whether to re-pot, etc is welcomed as well! Thank you in advance!
Old 09-19-2018, 06:20 AM

Plant lady is on a distinguished road
Hello!

The end of the spikes in the first few pictures can turn into new buds, I usually don't cut the spike after the flowers are gone until it is still green and the orchid is in good condition...

They don't always turn into buds though...

On the last two pictures is a new branch on the flower spike, so more lovely flowers are to come

Keep watering them regularly, make sure no excess water remaining in the pot and there is no water at the base of the leaves...it can cause rotting...

I would wait to repot the plants until they are in bloom... repotting puts stress on the plants, they can drop the flowers/abort growing flowers spikes...

I see some moss on the top of the media, you might can peep under it to see if the roots look okay and the media not too broken down...

Kind regards,

Esther

Tapatalkkal küldve az én Lenovo P2a42 eszközömről
Kdl likes this.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:31 AM
Senior Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,255 Times in 945 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
Personally, I don't cut spikes while they are green. They will start to yellow pretty quickly if they aren't going to grow, and I let that happen so the plant can resorb any nutrients available in the spike. You may see a new branch start from a lower node on a couple of those spikes so you will be able to trim the dead part above that.

An exception would be if the branch is in an awkward place and unbalancing the plant; then I do trim. It won't really hurt the plant either way. And if you haven't checked the roots, this is a good time to be sure they are healthy and turning green when you water. Also a good time to repot as needed.
Kdl likes this.