Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 01:13 PM

Jessi is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Possible root problem

Hey guys,

I've been trying to research online but I can't get any info on my possible root problem. I have 2 phal (moth) orchids that have aerial roots that are a bit hard and some of them have light-medium color brown marks on them, they are not spots though. They expand from a couple cm to about an in. long. Although they are green roots I am starting to get worried because they weren't there when I first got them.

Please help me!
Old 04-04-2016, 03:42 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,013 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
If you post five times, you can then add pictures to the thread so that others can see what you mean and help better.
Great to have you here! Hello and Welcome!
Old 04-08-2016, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,636 Times in 2,192 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road

Firm and green roots is a good thing I am assuming you are talking about the brown tips on the end of the roots. My guess it maybe b/c their exposed to the air and temperature change. The 5 post can be anything like hi, test, etc.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:24 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Aerial roots are extremely sensitive to changes in environment. Many times I've purchased/acquired phals with good aerial roots, brought them into my office or home and had them shrivel/die completely. This doesn't mean the plant is dying. Eventually the plant acclimates to its new surroundings and out come NEW aerial roots that grow and thrive - if the roots are hard and shriveled I simply snip them off....
On the other hand....I've had Neofinitia root TIPS die off - either from stress, fertilizer burn, or some other undetermined reason - I've nipped off the shriveled dead portion and a few weeks later the root(s) start growing again - yea! As others have noted - a few close up pics would help us evaluate with you immensely. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to mayres For This Useful Post:
Jessi (04-08-2016)