Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2017, 03:52 PM

sgw is on a distinguished road
Please help identify this Dendrobium

Hi,

Some dear friends in Hawaii gave me this Dendrobium a few years ago (it was growing on the trunk of one of their trees). I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with the species identification.

The leaves drop off of the mature canes and then it flowers - the last time was in July.

Also, the last flower cane has not dried out yet, and I was hoping I might be able to use it to propagate more plants. Does anyone know the best way to attempt this?

Thanks for your help!

July 2017 .jpg

Nov. 2017 .jpg
Old 11-14-2017, 05:57 PM
Senior Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,232 Times in 924 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
It has a similar growth pattern to Den. victoria-reginae, although it clearly is not the species based on the flower. Some sort of a hybrid of that, I would guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishmom For This Useful Post:
sgw (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 06:42 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,382 Times in 3,092 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
I agree, it's def a hybrid with vic-reg. Maybe crossed with goldschmidtianum. However, without a definitive ID from the people who gave it to you...you will have to be happy with just knowing it's a vic-reg cross.

It's still small so I would not remove any canes at this point. My vic-reg crosses have all bloomed off old canes for years. Give it some more time to grow before removing anything. The larger the plant, the stronger it is and the better it blooms. Plus, they usually start popping keikis when they get bigger and you can remove those once the roots are well developed.
sgw (11-15-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,868 Times in 2,954 Posts
syndywindy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina View Post
I agree, it's def a hybrid with vic-reg. Maybe crossed with goldschmidtianum. However, without a definitive ID from the people who gave it to you...you will have to be happy with just knowing it's a vic-reg cross.

It's still small so I would not remove any canes at this point. My vic-reg crosses have all bloomed off old canes for years. Give it some more time to grow before removing anything. The larger the plant, the stronger it is and the better it blooms. Plus, they usually start popping keikis when they get bigger and you can remove those once the roots are well developed.

I have a Den. Doctor Judith which is a hybrid cross of Vic-Reg and goldschmitianum. Right now it is just going crazy, blooms everywhere and more clusters forming. All the blooms are on leafless canes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life is Good Today! Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorrow.

Synda

Tags
dendrobium identification