Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 12:31 AM

sue11 is on a distinguished road
Phal Pollination

Hi everyone, I'm new this is my first post. I have a blooming Phal, it's white no ID, I wish I could download a picture I'm sure a lot in here know what kind it is. Anyway, I pollinated every single flower using a toothpick. I watched the process in yutube. But all the flowers wilted and now they are falling off. What am I doing wrong? I need someone to tell me what I did wrong. I really appreciate it. Thank you.

I'm so sorry if I posted on the wrong spot.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:42 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
You may not have done anything wrong, in fact you may have done things RIGHT! After they're pollinated a flower very quickly dies. It could just be that your polinations were successful.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
sue11 (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 04:22 AM

orkidea is on a distinguished road
Congratulations! It appears that the pollination was successful. Now you just have to be patient and watch the pods form. It takes somewhere between 7-9 months. I just recently harvested my phal pods after 8 months of growing.
The Following User Says Thank You to orkidea For This Useful Post:
sue11 (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,512 Times in 743 Posts
Ray is on a distinguished road
Maybe I am reading this differently from the last two, but blossoms "falling off" is not what I'd expect from successful pollination.

In my experience, if the pollination "took", the column starts to swell, and the petals and sepals fade and collapse, but still remain attached to the ovary, ultimately drying up and falling off.

If the flowers - including the peduncle (the stem that attaches the blossom to the inflorescence) - drop off, it was unsuccessful.

As to "what I did wrong", there can be several answers.

1) Maybe you simply didn't pollinate the flowers correctly (you didn't say exactly what you did, so we cannot judge). Once you remove the pollinia, they've served their function, so fading and failing is expected.

2) Maybe it was too late in the blossoms' lives. The best time to pollinate a phalaenopsis is within the first few days of the flower opening; maybe up to a week.

3) It is also possible that you did absolutely everything right, but have a sterile hybrid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray For This Useful Post:
sue11 (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 09:42 AM

JLu is on a distinguished road
That's correct..if the flowers actually fell off there is something wrong. When pollinated the flower will die, but it will stay on the swelling ovary until the end. I have to cut the dried flower off the pod when I get ready to sow seeds.

Your flowers may have just been at end of life anyway and thus not fertile. The best time to pollinate is with a mature, but still fresh flower. There should be a sticky liquid in stigma.
The Following User Says Thank You to JLu For This Useful Post:
sue11 (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Maybe

If the flowers - including the peduncle (the stem that attaches the blossom to the inflorescence) - drop off, it was unsuccessful.

As to "what I did wrong", there can be several answers.

1) Maybe you simply didn't pollinate the flowers correctly (you didn't say exactly what you did, so we cannot judge). Once you remove the pollinia, they've served their function, so fading and failing is expected.

2) Maybe it was too late in the blossoms' lives. The best time to pollinate a phalaenopsis is within the first few days of the flower opening; maybe up to a week.

3) It is also possible that you did absolutely everything right, but have a sterile hybrid.
Thank you everyone for your answers. Everyone's answer is helpful.
Ray, The whole flower including the stem fell off. What I did was took a toothpick and removed the pollinia, and stick the pollinia into the stigma. I bet the flowers are too old. My husband brought that home for me with all flowers opened up already. Sorry, I didn't specify the whole thing. So, now I know.
I have a spiking Phal with an ID Dtps. Sunrise Star bought online and I will remember to do this "best time to pollinate a phalaenopsis is within the first few days of the flower opening; maybe up to a week."
Old 10-15-2011, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
Hi sue,
Here's an example of a sucessful pollination. Pic below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20111005-00426.jpg (26.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20111005-00427.jpg (22.5 KB, 17 views)

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
The Following User Says Thank You to orchids4me For This Useful Post:
sue11 (10-15-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,512 Times in 743 Posts
Ray is on a distinguished road
Sue, are you aware of what it takes to get orchids to grow from seed?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray For This Useful Post:
sue11 (10-15-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the awesome pictures orchids4me.....WOW! I love this forum, everyone is very supportive....thanks
Old 10-15-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Sue, are you aware of what it takes to get orchids to grow from seed?

Hi Ray, I like your question,LOL. I can answer that but it's gonna be a long one. My orchids story. You guys probably think I'm crazy LOL.

I just recently decided to collect orchids again. It started with one phal no ID, then I got a couple on my birhday from my hubby and kids, no ID, then I rescued 18 at Lowes all Phals.

While at home for a few wks on scrutches, all I did was looked at orchids online and then I found out that orchids do have IDs and I just like them, 200+ in just 4 weeks mostly with IDs now. I bought flasks, seedlings and I bought seeds (11 different kinds of seeds and there r 3 coming), crazy huh? I have flasks, empty baby food jars and lids and pressure cooker coming, chemicals, equipments for cloning, BAP, NAA, stuff for homemade medium and replate. I don't know exactly what I'm talking about though. But I'm trying to read a lot of info right now.
I have a medium for mother flasks ready, too.( bought online, not homemade) And I have a flasking case( old fish tank). All it needs is the plexiglass to the front with 2 holes ( my husband's project this week) and long sleeves + hand gloves taped to the holes. I have to figure out how to upload pics to show you guys what I have and u can correct me. Plssss correct me. You guys are the pro. I would really love to learn to do all these stuff. I had Botany years ago in college and had labs but we're not studying orchids.

I watched Franco's video in yutube a few times.

I won't have time to purchase anything with my crazy hours at work when I go back, so just making sure I have everything by then. Sorry, I probably should not have mentioned all that but that's my orchids story.

Thank you guys for your help.

*English is my 3rd language*