Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Anton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2018, 03:35 AM

Hollis is on a distinguished road
Phal Orchid exposed to cold

I have a Phal Orchid with a keiki that was exposed to very cold temps (10-20 degrees F) for 5-6 hours when we were moving across state lines. As you can see, it has a ton of aerial roots - I had just repotted it about 6 months ago and it seemed a bit shocked from that process prior to the cold exposure. The leaves have started to whither, turn soft/black and fall off. The crown however is still firm and green and a few of the aerial roots seem to be hanging in there. This orchid is very special to me so I'm really hoping it can be saved. What should I do? Also, should I attemp to pot the keiki on its own or should I leave it? Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20180310_010525.jpg (34.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20180310_010440.jpg (27.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20180310_010652.jpg (26.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-10-2018, 05:13 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,243 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
Ok, it might survive and it might not. It might even throw out a keiki so take care of it.

Was it outside when it got damaged? If so I would bring it inside the house and keep it near a bright window and give it some care.

Personally I think it's a long road to save it if it can be saved. Maybe others will have some good advice that will assist in keeping it going.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:48 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,830 Times in 1,276 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
Oh dear.

I don't like your chances. Like Borlero said, it will need repotting, a lot of TLC, warmth, humidity, and prayers.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:42 AM

Ok. Thank you. It was in the car when it happened. So you do recommend repotting it? What about the keiki already there - should I cut that off and try to repot it on its own and then cut that spike off? Also, what about watering? Normal? Should I use an orchid food?
Old 03-10-2018, 08:35 PM
V.I.P Member

Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
From personal experience (I have around 25 Phallies, a lot "rescued" from friends) I would say, cut the spike off completely because this plant is going to need ALL THE RESERVES it can muster to survive, and as it is also trying to feed the keiki which is its way of making sure it is going to be survived by another plant, that is energy is being wasted, and can ill afford to lose it.

I have saved a lot of "rescued" Phallies in my time, and some, you wouldn't give 2 cents for, but managed to bring them back from the brink. Not all, but the bigger majority.

THIS ONE, I really think is going to take a monumental effort, it can be done, but the chances to me are 80% / 20% AGAINST.

When you repot it, DO NOT FEED IT for a week or so because the plant is so weak, that it may kill it off completely.

Keep us in the loop. good luck.
Bolero likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anton For This Useful Post:
Bolero (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 10:00 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,243 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton View Post
From personal experience (I have around 25 Phallies, a lot "rescued" from friends) I would say, cut the spike off completely because this plant is going to need ALL THE RESERVES it can muster to survive, and as it is also trying to feed the keiki which is its way of making sure it is going to be survived by another plant, that is energy is being wasted, and can ill afford to lose it.

I have saved a lot of "rescued" Phallies in my time, and some, you wouldn't give 2 cents for, but managed to bring them back from the brink. Not all, but the bigger majority.

THIS ONE, I really think is going to take a monumental effort, it can be done, but the chances to me are 80% / 20% AGAINST.

When you repot it, DO NOT FEED IT for a week or so because the plant is so weak, that it may kill it off completely.

Keep us in the loop. good luck.
Yes, what Anton said.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:31 PM

Ok - no food for awhile. Dumb question - do I water it normally? Also, should I trim off the black leaves all the way down to the crown?? I read on some other websites that this will stop infection from spreading.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:06 AM
V.I.P Member

Yes, water as per usual. What little chlorophyll the leaves produce will help rather than none from NO leaves.

"Every little bit helps", said the old maid as she peed in the sea.