Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 11:19 PM

Townsville is on a distinguished road
Phal leaf splitting

Can anyone tell me why a healthy looking phal leaf might develop a split?

Thanks - Townsville
Old 01-06-2007, 02:19 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
That is an excellent question and I have only had one plant do this - just happened to be in an office environment with very low humidity. Could be totally off base, but I'm wondering if this might be a factor? Will see what other ideas are brought forth........
Old 01-06-2007, 04:37 PM

jjgraphix is on a distinguished road
I have a Phal that also had a spilt leaf - not sure the reasoning on why it happened, although it is interesting that it may be low humidity since I live in Colorado. Not sure this is the reason though since all the others I have are fine. Anyways, the best thing to do with a split leaf, provided that it isn't split the entire length of the leaf, is to take a sterilized cutting tool and to cut the split part off, so that the rest of the healthy leaf remains. Did this on mine and it worked, never got another split. I heard that if you don't take care of it, the entire leaf will end up splitting. Extremely important to sterilize whatever you use though, I just put scissors in boiling water for a few minutes.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:43 PM

desertgal is on a distinguished road
I had a phal that had a new leaf split as it grew out. After about and inch of growth it stopped splitting. Never knew why!
Old 01-07-2007, 11:21 AM

slippery_biscuit is on a distinguished road
The newest leaf on one of my plants is also splitting, from the base. The suggestion to cut... would that be to cut off the split portion at angle, say up and out away from the base and middle of the leaf?

I've also thought about just leaving it and seeing what happens...

thanks
Jeff
Old 01-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

prisana is a jewel in the roughprisana is a jewel in the roughprisana is a jewel in the rough
Hey all, I'm joining the club on the splitting phal leaves . Almost all of mine phal plants have at least one splitting leaves . They wern't there when I obtained them from the stores. The leaves split right down the middle but not all the way , just in the mid portion of the leaves. Only one is free from splitting..it's the only one I haven't repotted since I got it over a year ago ( it keeps growing spikes !! ) It sits in a damp mix that almost never dries out more than just around the surface. Maybe Mike is right about moisture.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:17 PM
orchid126

I don't know what causes split leaves in orchids. In my house plants and out in the garden it's caused by the plant being excessively dry and then suddenly getting drenched. The thirsty plant can't handle the excess water. Don't cut any part of the leaf. Get some adhesive floral tape, (make sure it's adhesive and not the waxed type) which is 1/4" wide and waterproof, and make a butterfly across the split on the underside of the leaf to prevent it from splitting further, and therefore save as much of the leaf as possible. This repair can last as long as a couple of years.

Last edited by orchid126; 01-07-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:10 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
The leaf on my one phal that split, just did so about 1/3-1/2 of the length - in the middle too. I did no surgery or first aid and it seems to be hanging in there OK - just looks a little odd.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:54 PM

junco513 is on a distinguished road
Question Spilt leaves

I thought my phal was doing pretty well, with leaves getting bigger and new leaves growing out. But i just noticed that on 2 of the leaves, it's spilt down the middle. Is that normal? Do I need to be concerned?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:57 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
It is not uncommon but I have really decided on a reason that makes any sense.

The plant is still healthy and the split does not prevent the chlorophyll from doing it job.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:21 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,449 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
I have a Phal that has really thick curved leaves which split. I've hat theplant for about 3 years, grown and bloomed it repeatedly. The split leaves don't seem to have any effect. I have other Phals with thinner leaves that do not split. Maybe it's something that happens to thick-leaved Phals.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:45 PM
V.I.P Member

pikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nice
Is the split caused by extra turgidity of the leaves?

I think I noticed one leaf on one of my Phals. It shows a slight split midway on the leaf. It is not even 5cm long. The other leaves are thick and strong and farely stiff ( if I gently lift the lowest leaf the whole pot tilts, that's how strong the leaves are).

I have not seen it occurring in any other leaf.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:19 AM

Atriel is on a distinguished road
Whew, oh good. I was about to make a post about this very thing.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Executive Senior Member

tom499 is a jewel in the roughtom499 is a jewel in the roughtom499 is a jewel in the rough
I have a vanda that has quite a few of these, but as noted above, unless this puts the leaf under an extra strain, does not make a difference, they heal up, but it makes it more vulnerable if knocked over.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:31 AM

junco513 is on a distinguished road
those leaves that spilt are pretty thick. maybe that's why. how strange.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:23 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Add me to the split leaf "club"! I think I have two phals with a leaf or two like this - in my case as well they seem to be the plants with the thickest leaves. Also as noted, they seem to grow, bloom, etc. like any normal plant - apparently nothing to get excited about. mike
Old 08-31-2007, 11:57 AM

Lisa is on a distinguished road
Splitting leaves

Can anyone help? I have an otherwise very healthy Phal, the only problem is that on 3 of the 5 leaves there seems to be splitting occurring from the tips, in the centre of the leaves. I wondered if anyone knows what this could be?
Thanks, Lisa
Old 08-31-2007, 02:21 PM
Executive Senior Member

Sharyn is just fantasticSharyn is just fantastic
Lisa, the only time I've had the tips of the phal leaves split is when there is a lack of humidity. Although phals don't require as much humidity as other orchids, they still need some. You should update your profile to show your location. Do you live in a very dry area? If, so, placing your phals on a tray of pebbles with some water will help a bit. Post some pics if you can.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:05 PM
V.I.P Member

Tobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantastic
Lisa,
I concur with Sharyn that insufficient humidity and allowing the media to
dry too much between waterings can cause Phal. leaves to split. I have seen
this occur on several Phals that are sold in food marts that don't have proper
humidity conditions and don't take the care to water them as they should be.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:39 PM

OrchidArmyWife is on a distinguished road
phal leaves split

I am wondering if the ones that split should be removed ot left alone? I got the plant with 1 leave split so just wondering what to do.

Lisa
Old 09-03-2007, 07:04 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Just leave it alone - it should be fine and continue to support the plant.