Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2006, 10:24 PM

Mangotropolis is on a distinguished road
Phal behaving strangely

Hi,

I have a phal which put out a spike over a couple of months ago. The spike grew quickly to 11.5 inches long and then stopped growing. Since then, the plant has put out a lot of new roots and a large, new leaf and just recently, what looks to be a keiki.

The plant seems healthy and perhaps the spike is showing some very recent progress, but I'm confused by it's behavior. My phals adjacent to it have spiked within the past month and their spikes and buds are progressing rapidly and normally and have already far out-stripped the growth of the one in question.

Does anyone know why it would seemingly change it's agenda and create so much new and different growth after having put out a spike?

Hope the photos upload correctly and are legible.

thanks!
Mary~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phal_.jpg (26.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg phal_keiki.jpg (21.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg phal_root.jpg (18.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 11-12-2006, 03:38 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Good pictures. It does sort of look like a keiki spike - it will be interesting to see what it does. I have a phal that recently shot out something similar right out of the center of the plant and I was told that is indeed what it was. It is now about two inches long and has yet to develop any significant leaves. Keep us posted as a learning experience. Looks like a healthy plant. mike

Last edited by mayres; 11-12-2006 at 03:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-13-2006, 12:54 AM

Willc73 is on a distinguished road
that may keiki, but right now that looks like a spike. Phals many times have leafy nodes and they are not keikis. If the current spike is not progressing or flowering the most probable cause is insufficient light. A phal will grow happily with insufficient light and throw out keikis but not flower. The leaves look great and healthy, I wouldn't worry about it too much. make sure it doesn't get too dry and keep it up.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

prisana is a jewel in the roughprisana is a jewel in the roughprisana is a jewel in the rough
I've read once, that keikis form on the orchids that maybe in stress of some kind. Your plant looks very healthy I really don't think it's a keiki , plus I don't remember my keiki had any nodes below it, it was a good 6 to 7 inch before first leave formed . Maybe the plant has so much going on at once that the last one progressing , whether leave or spike or keiki , isn't growing as fast as it should be.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:38 PM

Willc73 is on a distinguished road
Keikis can grow on almost all phals whether they are in stress or happy as can be. Keikis are more likely to grow with inadequate light. Every year I have massive blooms, then 1/3 of my plants keiki after. You can get basal keikis from a spike location, or anypoint along the spike. They may or may not begin with a node. Looking at it closer, you are right it probably is a spike. If it is, then you are doing fine, if both spikes do not flower, keep an eye on your water and your light. Too little water can stop a spike or cause bud blast, too little light can cause it not to flower at all. However since there are possibly two spikes, it is more likely a water or fertilizing problem.
If you want a plant to keiki, put a plant in the dark for a week, go light on water. I don't recommend keiki paste, you are much more likely to get deformed keiki's and aneuploidy.
One more thing, do you know the cross? That can explain a lot of things, also where did you get it?

Last edited by Willc73; 11-13-2006 at 11:41 PM.