Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2016, 02:48 PM

Taika is on a distinguished road
Partially withered Phal leaf (heat?)

I'm not sure this is the right area but it's the only place I found with orchid problems so here goes.

I have two Phals in one pot, potted in sphagnum moss, in my dorm room at college. My window faces Northeast so there's only direct light at sunrise, and I move my plants out of that at night, lots of indirect light especially with the snow.

The only problem is they have to go on the heater, not directly on the vents but still. Recently our room got very cold as it was -20 with windchill for a few days here in MN, so my roommate and I turned up the heater (which is old and noisy and after two weeks now is working at a normal pace, and I've turned it down). At first only half the heater was working so I left my plants on the other half but then the whole thing started working so I moved them to a shelf, farther from the sun and heat. Today I was watering and noticed a really shriveled root on one of my phals and clipped it, thinking since it was hanging down it was probably the short time it was being blasted by the heat. But then I noticed the leaf right above it also has a semi-circle of wilted leaf, it's yellowish brown, soft, and thin.

So my question is really what should I do? I've moved it to my desk next to me out of the heat but in the sun, but I don't know if I should trim that part of the leaf or what? It's the biggest of only four leaves so I'm worried if it dies. Also it's in bloom, second bloom of the year, if that makes a difference. Prior to this all of my phals have been growing like crazy (plenty of water when the moss is dry, and they all have sticks of orchid feed). Please help!

The Following User Says Thank You to Taika For This Useful Post:
MangaOrchid21 (01-25-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 11:04 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,013 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
If the brown area feels dry, it should be fine. If it would become any larger, you just cut the damaged part of the leaf and treat the cut with a bit of Isopropyl alcohol.
It probably enjoys sitting on the warm heating vent when it isn't turned on too high but when you need to turn it up in the future, you will probably need to move it or, option two, create some sort of buffer to help temper the heat (pebble tray?).
Old 01-25-2016, 10:35 PM

Taika is on a distinguished road
Okay thank you!! It's still a little flexible but mostly dry, yes. I'll watch closely for a bit to make sure though.

A pebble tray wouldn't really work but I actually got too hot so the heat is back to mild again, they've been doing super well so I'm glad this isn't too severe!
Old 01-27-2016, 06:33 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,013 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
I am very happy to hear that all is well.

Tags
leaf damage, phalanopsis