Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2006, 01:27 PM

Location: I am currently stopping with my mother in Ripon but work in Harrogate.
yorkie is on a distinguished road
Smile orchid seeds!

I am trying to find out where the best place is to purchase Orchid seeds. If anyone can give me any ideas I would be very grateful. I am very keen to try and grow a good orchid from either a phalaenopsis or a paphiopedilum. PLEASE HELP!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Are you aware of the trouble of growing orchids from seed? The sterile flasks and flasking medium, and the need to sterilize the seed and put into the flasks under sterile conditions? Or, do you have some live moss that you plan to sprinkle the see onto? There are many places to buy flasks where the seed is already sown. Maybe if you google "orchids"/"flasks" you will get some companies that make flasks and can sell you some seed. Cynthia
Old 08-01-2006, 05:27 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
Equally important is that a cattleya may be 4-7 years to flower from seed and even a dendrobium takes two years. If you live in a short growing season the time expands greatly.

Even growing from flasks is difficult and time consuming. As a commercial grower I do not handle anything under 4 inches tall, although, many growers produce or grow from flasks.

Actually it is not much cheaper unless you are producing thousands of the same orchid. I find that flasks and even compots are no cheaper for me than buying larger orchids, and this is why I do not grow the smaller sizes.

I can buy a 2 1/2 inch cattley pots for twice the price of a 1 inch pot which is twice the per piece price of a compot or flask. With losses and handling all cost about the same by the time they are selling size.

I would only recommend small orchids if you want the challenge of growing them (and it may be more frustration than success) or you want something so much there is no other choice.