Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 07:02 AM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

zaeem is on a distinguished road
Exclamation orchids

Dave HI!
Great help from flowers,more plant and leaves will assist in a big way.
Thanks
zaeem
Ghana O likes this.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:22 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,446 Times in 3,013 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseg89 View Post
Would this be considered the Den. (malia akana X mary mak) 'hawaii'? or just some hybrid den? I have been trying to ID this orchid for a while and am beginning to just think its an NOID even though it looks very similar. Anybody have any opinions? sorry its not the greatest quality picture.
It could be that but there are a lot of other things it could be as well. It's pretty much impossible to positively ID noid hybrids.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:18 PM

Santoury is on a distinguished road
Hi guys
I'm brand new here! I'll introduce myself shortly - but the reason I signed up, is because your GREAT site came up while trying to identify a new orchid that I now grow.

I found these growing "wild" in the Fort Lauderdale area of Florida. They are most likely a species of Paphiopedilum. I actually mistook them for Snake Plants (Seriously) - then I realized, wait a minute - these are orchids! Then I had one bloom for me. It sends up a very thin spike, about a foot tall, with these TINY flowers - about a 1/4 inch in size. They are absolutely adorable. The color is pretty much off-white.
I'm dying to know what these are! Generally they have two leaves, that are pretty much parallel to the ground, very firm/tough, and colored like a Sansevieria.
There's NOTHING like this on the web - with these tiny flowers. But, I'm sure that some of you will say, "Oh! That's.......!" If it matters, they are blooming (now) - (Late September.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Santoury For This Useful Post:
zaeem (11-22-2010)
Old 09-27-2010, 12:07 AM
V.I.P Member

kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
A positive ID is pretty much impossible without careful examination of all parts of the plant and comparison with a botanical description. A picture might enable us to give you a few possibilities. I can say for certain that it's not a paph because they are nto native to North America. It might be some kind of Cypripedium, which are a kind of slipper orchid native to North America.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:27 AM

Unusual orchid ID

Yes, you're right, but nothing I've found in the "lady's slipper" group, has these miniature flowers. Surely that would have been a telltale sign, but I suppose not. You're right about Cypri's being native, however I don't know of one that has tiny flowers, and I meant to mention that each spike has a number of flowers - about six, not just one, as is usual for "Lady Slippers."
Each one, of course, opens one at a time.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:28 AM

PS
I do not know for certain that they ARE native. Just "wild." The ones I have found were in established plantings, however they were obviously not "placed" there. In other words, they are either native, or naturalized.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:29 AM

Hopefully one of our Florida memebers will catch this one.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:36 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoury View Post
...I meant to mention that each spike has a number of flowers - about six, not just one, as is usual for "Lady Slippers."
Some paphs, one phrag and most cyps are single flowered but most phrags and quite a number of paphs are multifloral. But no matter we've established it probably is not a slipper.
Quote:
Hopefully one of our Florida memebers will catch this one.
We're going to need to see a picture if we're to be of any help.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:23 PM

Hobby Orchidist is on a distinguished road
Well, a picture would help immensely. Of course without examination of the plant and the bloom, it is difficult to make an ID. But from what you have described, I would hazard a guess of Oeceoclades maculata. The Oeceoclades maculata can been found growing in the ground wild in South Florida. I have seen several of them in bloom during September here in South Florida. They have very tiny, multiple blooms on a single spike. The blooms vary in color from off white to a creamy yellow. They typically have spotted leaves.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:15 PM

Hello,
Oeceoclades maculata is very close, if not a dead-on ID - thank you! If anybody else has any other opinions, I'd love to hear them.
Is O. maculata the only one with mottled leaves, or creamy colored flowers? I did some research online about this genus, but got a little lost.
Thanks!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:38 PM

New orchid ID needed! WITH PICS THIS TIME!

Hi guys
Picked these two up today - gorgeous - leaves are VERY RIGID, not soft or flexible at all. The pictures speak for themselves ( for better or for worse, right?) I'm sure that the leaf coloring, and small rounded shape of the pseudos will be telling... I hope!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 12.jpg (81.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 13.jpg (74.5 KB, 24 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Santoury For This Useful Post:
zaeem (11-22-2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Junior Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,074 Times in 552 Posts
ysanabria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hi guys
Picked these two up today - gorgeous - leaves are VERY RIGID, not soft or flexible at all. The pictures speak for themselves ( for better or for worse, right?) I'm sure that the leaf coloring, and small rounded shape of the pseudos will be telling... I hope!
It seems like Onc. Butterfly here is a link to a thread about this plant. They are one of my favorite.
http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...y-orchids.html

If we realized how powerful our thoughts are, we would never think a negative thought! Be Positive!!! Share your beautiful smile & LOVE!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:53 PM
V.I.P Member

It's a Psychopsis of some kind to be sure. It'll be impossible to tell if it's a species or hybrid. Psychopsis hybrids are nearly indistinguishable from the species.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
zaeem (11-22-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Member Photobucket

Ladyofthelakes is on a distinguished road
Hi Fred, I really loved the Coelogyne cristata that you showed to us. The huge lovely ruffly flowers always bring out a huge smile.

Cynthia Prescott AZ, I have done a lot of searching the net since I joined the geeks last January. When I googled names of orchids that I wanted more information on, so many times the google images came up with your many flowers. Now I read above you have 40+ years of orchids.

My hat goes off to you and the Moderators and Super Moderators. Geeks is an all time favorite site.

Life is GOOD

Please support Pet Rescue See our little Ozzy http://www.pekeatzurescue.com/2006adopted.htm Viv & Al
Old 12-29-2010, 10:40 PM

rhogue is on a distinguished road
Very Nice resource. Thanks for posting it. It will be invaluable to us newbies.

By the way I had quite a time trying to Identify NOIDs. Duh!!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:40 AM

kusdra is on a distinguished road
I need help please i dont know what kind of my orchid is..
if some one can help i would like to thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to kusdra For This Useful Post:
zaeem (01-24-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 05:40 PM
V.I.P Member

It's an Arachnis.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Executive Senior Member

Yes.Lovely plant and blooms.Thanks.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 AM

Mckenna is on a distinguished road
Thanks

This was a lot of help for a newbie like me. I was actually suprised that when I got my orchid it didn't tell me what kind it was. Now I know without a doubt it's a Phal Orchid. Thanks Again!
Ghana O likes this.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:17 PM

marionella is on a distinguished road
thanks for the nice photos!
the flowers are wonderful, and now I want them all....
Old 07-18-2011, 09:10 PM

angie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia, Prescott, AZ View Post
Here is my attemp to give a broad sampling of plant pictures. Will be up dating it from time to time. Cynthia, Prescott, AZ
Orchid Plants Photo Gallery by Admiral Schnitz at pbase.com
Thank you so much for these beautiful pictures.
I have a quesyion about one of the Pics.
The orchid tagged Papilionanthe (vanda) teres #2 has a great similiarity to V. Miss Jaoquim.
Is it the same thing? and has the name now been changed?
Thanks
Angie
Old 07-19-2011, 08:04 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie View Post
Thank you so much for these beautiful pictures.
I have a quesyion about one of the Pics.
The orchid tagged Papilionanthe (vanda) teres #2 has a great similiarity to V. Miss Jaoquim.
Is it the same thing? and has the name now been changed?
Thanks
Angie
Hi Angie, Cymthia has not been active on the forum for a long time so I'll answer your question. Papilionanthe teres and Vanda Miss Jaoquim are not the same plant. Papilionanthe teres is a species orchid. It occours naturally in the wild. Vanda Miss Jaoquim is an artificial hybrid. It is a man-made cross between two different species. One of the parents of Vanda Miss Jaoquim is Papilionanthe teres. Papilionanthe teres used to be a vanda but the currently accepted genus for this and quite a number of related species is Papilionanthe. Even so, the RHS has not yet accepted this change for the purposes of hybrid registration so it remains a Vanda.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:13 AM

murdomac is on a distinguished road
What an absolutely stunning collection of photo's of these most georgeous of plants...Well done to one and all !!! AWSOME!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 01:41 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseg89 View Post
Would this be considered the Den. (malia akana X mary mak) 'hawaii'? or just some hybrid den? I have been trying to ID this orchid for a while ...
It is a dendrobium hybrid and for that reason (because it's a hybrid) if it is tag-less it will not be possible to ID it. It could be the one you mentioned but you can't be sure and there are other things that look the same that it could be.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:14 AM

jeffyrita is on a distinguished road
dear chaseg89., i think your orchid is dendrobium burana gold star -jeffyrita
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffyrita For This Useful Post:
iGuava (09-14-2012)
Old 12-09-2011, 11:32 PM

newocean121 is on a distinguished road
it's very nice!

Last edited by newocean121; 12-09-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:28 PM

johnlana is on a distinguished road
orchid confusion

what is the difference between bulbophyllum daisy chain and cirropetalum daisy chain? or are they the same , just old and new classifications, if so which is now correect? Thank you.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlana View Post
what is the difference between bulbophyllum daisy chain and cirropetalum daisy chain? or are they the same , just old and new classifications, if so which is now correect? Thank you.
This is a hybrid orchid. Hybrid orchid names are all capitalized. Bulbophyllum Daisy Chain and Cirrhopetalum Daisy Chain are 2 different names for the same hybrid. The currently accepted/recognized name of this hybrid is Bulbophyllum Daisy Chain.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:56 AM

johnlana is on a distinguished road
Orchid I.D.

Thanks for the info on Bulbophyllum Vx Cirrhopetalum. John
Old 10-20-2012, 02:57 PM

rsnyder54 is on a distinguished road
What is this??

I received this orchid and do not know the genera or species. Any ideas?IMG_20121020_143240-1.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to rsnyder54 For This Useful Post:
zaeem (10-22-2012)
Old 01-05-2013, 01:10 PM

Keenansblue is on a distinguished road
Can someone identify this orchid
for me? It is not in bloom, it is actually doing pretty bad. I found it in the discount bin and it didn't have a tag. I want to save it but I have no idea how, I haven't the slightest clue what it is, a dendrobium perhaps?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.3 KB, 21 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Keenansblue For This Useful Post:
zaeem (01-14-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 08:19 AM

Thanked 1,252 Times in 375 Posts
Nugget is on a distinguished road
Never seen an orchid that looks like this. Doubt it is.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 AM

Paul Mc is on a distinguished road
My first guess would be a Dendrobium, but the leaves seem a bit off somehow, as in short and very rounded. Hopefully someone can give you a more definitive answer on this though. Would it be possible to post a pic from the side showing its growth habit (stalk where the leaves grow out?!
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Mc For This Useful Post:
Keenansblue (01-09-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 05:57 PM

Ghana O is on a distinguished road
Thank you so much for this, it will be very helpful to me. And the pictures were lovely.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:19 AM

angie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenansblue View Post
Can someone identify this orchid
for me? It is not in bloom, it is actually doing pretty bad. I found it in the discount bin and it didn't have a tag. I want to save it but I have no idea how, I haven't the slightest clue what it is, a dendrobium perhaps?
It is a hard cane Dendrobium. (ie. Den. Chao Praya Moonlight)
Keenansblue likes this.

Mother Theresa.
The Following User Says Thank You to angie For This Useful Post:
Keenansblue (01-09-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Executive Senior Member

terra_australis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnyder54 View Post
I received this orchid and do not know the genera or species. Any ideas?Attachment 58638
At a guess I'd say Coelogyne miniata. Hard to say from that photo though.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:34 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnyder54 View Post
I received this orchid and do not know the genera or species. Any ideas?Attachment 58638
It's a Maxilaria of some kind.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:46 PM

Keenansblue is on a distinguished road
Thank you!! Now I can nurse her back to health!!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:03 AM
Executive Senior Member

Thanks.Photo not clear.My guess its a phal.type Den.from rounded leaves.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:25 PM

HunterGirl is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this thread.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:10 PM

OrchidNut is on a distinguished road
Thank you Dave for your thread. As a newbie, I bought some orchids so cheap without realizing how important the name tags were. Your pictures have helped me a lot. Now, i do not mind to pay a little more for health and Plant id.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:09 PM

Rock is on a distinguished road
Dendrobium Hybrid

I have no other identification for these orchids except that the flower stem grows out of the top of the cane. They were purchased at a big box store and are only labeled Dendrobium Hybrid. New canes grew this summer and now I want to rebloom but am confused about their needs during dormancy, i.e., cooler temperatures, less light, less or no water. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rock For This Useful Post:
zaeem (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 07:57 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 6,636 Times in 2,843 Posts
Brooke is on a distinguished road
Can your post a picture of the Den? There are so many different Dens with different growing requirements a picture would certainly help.

Brooke
Old 11-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Executive Senior Member

terra_australis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I have no other identification for these orchids except that the flower stem grows out of the top of the cane. They were purchased at a big box store and are only labeled Dendrobium Hybrid. New canes grew this summer and now I want to rebloom but am confused about their needs during dormancy, i.e., cooler temperatures, less light, less or no water. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If the flowers only come from the top of the cane I would think most likely a Phalaenanthe type.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:15 AM

cooked is on a distinguished road
Epiphyte orchids

Hi, I joined yesterday and realised that I don't even know the species names of my orchids. Since moving to Thailand three years ago I have been sporadically buying orchids, the most expensive was about $5.- No way are any of them labelled, they are just 'orchids'. I treated them all the same, potted up in coconut shells with coconut chippings as a growing media, half shadow, rain water every day and liquid feed every week. They did very well.
I built a dog pound which means that some of them are now getting no sun at all. It is getting cold now (16C this morning) meaning that the flowering buds are not moving, no new shoots are developing and that out of 25 plants only two are blooming now. So how do I ID the plants? I knew all the wild growing Swiss species, north of the Alps anyway but these Thai hybrids have me stymied, I should like to get everything optimal (potting medium, sun exposure, fertiliser and watering) before it gets warm again.
Most orchid have very nice pictures of the flowers in close up, but there are obvious differences even when there are no flowers. So I enclose a couple of pictures and am asking if there is a website for IDing orchids without flowers? I looked for an hour this morning. Not very good fotos I'm afraid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-12-31 10.41.29.jpg (79.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-12-31 10.42.01.jpg (42.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-31-2014, 12:39 AM

ninja_phal is on a distinguished road
The first looks like a dendrobium and the second looks like an oncidium
The Following User Says Thank You to ninja_phal For This Useful Post:
cooked (01-09-2015)