Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 08:47 AM

alaina_loves_orchids is on a distinguished road
Orchid is growing out of the pot. Should I repot?

Hi everyone! Hope you are all having a great summer!

I have an orchid that is growing huuuuge. My only problem with it, is that it is growing out of the orchid pot and it is very loose even though it has roots throughout the potting mix that reach the bottom.

Right now (as you see in the pictures) I have it balancing on a bigger clay pot to hold up the leaves and roots. Should I repot it into a bigger pot (I was thinking a clay pot for stability) or leave it in the current pot?

Also, I have a quick question about lighting. I had the orchids at a north west window, but have since changed them back to a south window. They get a fair amount of light during the day especially in the afternoon. Is this sufficient? Thank you all for your help!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 08:48 AM

Old 09-01-2012, 09:03 AM

Paul Mc is on a distinguished road
It's hard for me to tell, but it looks like most of the current root mass could easily fit back I the pot. I have a Phal that fell over as well and I just repotted it so the roots could continue to grow in the pot as opposed to outside of the pot. Of course some of the longer ones I just left outside of the pot. If you cant get the majority of the roots in the pot, then go up a size. But they generally say to make your orchid as root bound in the pot as possible.

As for light, this varies on the types of orchids in question. The Phal you had pictured may. It appreciate that bright of light. For me in my environment, I've noticed morning light then dappled afternoon and evening is best. However, a few of mine don't even like the strong morning light they were getting. On Phal's, generally but not always, leaves getting just right or a tad above right may develop a purple coloration on the edges, especially on newer leaves that tend to have the purple to begin with. I read somewhere that if you extend your hand over the area for your Phal and you see your shadow with blurred edges, then that would be just about right. If it's got somewhat defined or sharp edges, too much light.

What other orchids do you grow? That would help us to determine the lighting conditions.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,874 Times in 2,959 Posts
syndywindy is on a distinguished road
From what I can tell by your picture, it definitely should be repotted so those roots can get into the medium a bit. It might need a bigger pot to accomplish this. though.

Life is Good Today! Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorrow.

Synda
Old 09-01-2012, 10:02 AM

Thanks for your responses! Paul Mc, I tried to get the roots in the pot but there are so many of them already in the potting medium. Also, the longer roots on the outside of the pot made it so I couldn't fit the rest of the roots in. All of my orchids are phals except one cattleya which I just acquired. I have no idea what lighting or watering it requires. Thats interesting about the purple edges! One of my phals has that, thanks for telling me about that

syndywindy, I have that clay pot that it is sitting on, but it is considerably bigger as you can see. Would it be too much of an upgrade? It also only has one drainage hole. I don't know if this is an issue.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Vian is on a distinguished road
Soak it in room-temp water for a few hours to soften the roots up, then see if you can coil the roots in the bottom of the pot and stuff some of the roots that are up in the air down into it, then re-fill with potting medium. You might need a bigger pot, as other have said. The potting media should come up to the base of the lowest leaves so the orchid is nice and snug in the pot and supported.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:11 AM

Paul Mc is on a distinguished road
If you are still having trouble, you might try using a stake as a support to help hold it up until the roots dig into the medium and hold it in place. As for the Cat, it needs much brighter light than Phal's! A lot more, lol... I don't have any good recommendations or tricks for determining the light needed as I do not grow these. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that!
Old 09-01-2012, 04:17 PM
V.I.P Member

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
I suggest re-potting - consider just moving it into the clay pot that the plastic one is sitting in, if you like clay pots (which I personally do).

Is the potting medium that I see new, or nearly new (no breakdown)? If yes, you can just top it off in the new pot. The crown of the plant should sit slightly above the bark when re-potted.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:15 PM

Smurfette is on a distinguished road
Ha ha ha!!! Looks like its doing a runner............!!!!

Patience is a virtue gained by growing orchids
Old 09-05-2012, 07:40 AM

haha yes! Thanks so much everyonefor your posts! I have since repotted it into the clay pot, and there are just the roots at the top sticking out as I couldnt fit them. With the clay pot, should I still be watering once per week? I heard it holds moisture for longer or something.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,874 Times in 2,959 Posts
syndywindy is on a distinguished road
There is no problem with the pot only having one drainage holes, most clay pots are like that. I love using clay pots. As for watering, it all depends on your conditions. do you live in an area that is dry, humid, etc. Warm, cooler? In summer where I am, I am watering every four days or so. In winter when I bring them in I water a lot less for my phals. I can go 10 days to 2 weeks in really cold temps. Here is a link that served me and many other geeks well. give it a read and it should help you if you decide to use it.

http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...f-orchids.html

Life is Good Today! Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorrow.

Synda
Old 09-05-2012, 01:21 PM
V.I.P Member

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaina_loves_orchids View Post
haha yes! Thanks so much everyonefor your posts! I have since repotted it into the clay pot, and there are just the roots at the top sticking out as I couldnt fit them. With the clay pot, should I still be watering once per week? I heard it holds moisture for longer or something.
Hi Alaina

I find that terra cotta clay pots tend to wick water away from the medium, which I find beneficial when my plants are outside and getting rained on frequently. At other times you may have to water slightly more often, but the roots stay healthier. As syndywindy points out, the skewer method will help you figure out what your watering regime will need to be.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:04 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,278 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
The main thing is to wet the roots until they turn green and then do the repotting otherwise the brittle ones will just snap.

The other thing would be to cut off the dead roots before repotting, and just keep the ones that fell plump and not soggy.