Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2016, 09:15 AM

Gojkilp is on a distinguished road
Odontoglossum bulb turning brown plus spotted leaves?

Hi guys, I'm not entirely sure how to navigate forums so I apologise if this is in the wrong place..

I've got an odontoglossum orchid that I've had for about a year now, and I'm getting a bit worried about it as I'm still quite 'green' when it comes to orchid care.

It's had black spots on the undersides of its leaves for a little while now (which I had assumed might have been due to the amount of sunlight it was getting), but I thought it was otherwise pretty healthy as it's recently bloomed and had previously grown new bulbs.

However, I've just noticed that a couple of the older bulbs are turning brown where the leaves growing from the bulbs have overlapped them. I've attached some images.

Would anyone be able to tell me what it is, and what I can do about it? I'm not sure if it might be rot, or something bacterial, or chemical. I tried googling but all I got was horror stories, and fair enough if it's a death blow for the plant but I'd rather just have a straight opinion so I can take action.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160731_133910.jpg (28.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20160731_133920.jpg (28.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20160731_133928.jpg (22.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20160731_133944.jpg (18.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20160731_134629.jpg (35.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-01-2016, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,625 Times in 2,181 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road

Your odontoglossum looks dehydrated. How often are you watering? The bulbs should be plump,firm and smooth. The spots on the leaves are quite common w/odontoglossum. The older bulbs that are turning brown are starting to die off and should be removed. This is the right place for this I took care of the 2nd post for you.

Oncidium Culture Sheet
The Following User Says Thank You to sunshine For This Useful Post:
Gojkilp (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 05:58 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
I also see evident dehydration. I try to water more thoroughly each time I water, includng a prolonged soak (1/2 hour) for the roots of orchids with a healthy root system, but dehydration symptoms.

Fix the dehydration first, then treat the spots on the leaves, which may be fungal. Look up the website of the St. Augustine Orchid Society, view the section on pests and diseases, and select a fungicide based on the disease symptoms you are seeing.

Good luck!
Gojkilp (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 02:05 PM

Gojkilp is on a distinguished road
Ah thank you so much! I try to water it and my others weekly in the summer with a prolonged soak for around 15-30mins, but I can try to step that up - I didn't really know what the bulbs should ideally look like (hence my worry about the browning), and it's been a hot and dry couple of months here in the UK.

Regarding the removal of older bulbs, I'd like a bit of advice since I've not had to do so before.. What would be the best way of going about doing so when they're ready to be removed, and what is the best time to remove them? I imagine mid-bloom would not be ideal for example (as it is at the present), and I was planning on repotting it once the bloom was over.

Thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated