Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 11:26 AM

Mellie is on a distinguished road
Newbie needs URGENT help with a dendrobium nobile

Hello I just want to say how happy I am that your forum exists! My sweetheart bought me for valentines day a Dendrobium Nobile Comet King Akatsuki. It is in full bloom and every since I have had it it has been dropping blooms before they are even spent. Perfect blooms just falling to the floor . In addition it now has three leaves at the bottom of a cane that are drooping something fierce and seem like they are going to fall. It already had one leaf turn yellow and drop. I am don't think I am over watering as I wait until it is nearly dry before I water and I don't water a bunch. It does not sit in water. It is in a west facing window, but it is really gloomy here in winter so it is gray all the time. Light could be the problem? I got it february 13. I will add a picture. What do you think? I really want to preserve my blooms as much as possible. It does have a new growth started and two smaller canes in addition to 3 big ones. Please help me before I kill it!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:55 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,397 Times in 1,223 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
Hi Mellie,

Isn't it winter there? Do you grow inside your home or outside your home?

So a few things......

1. Don't water in winter........if you do it's just a splash or a light mist. For example I don't water here between Later April and October because they don't need water. I may occasionally give them a splash but usually they are dry a long time before they get that. If it's cold for the plant don't water but if it's over 13C as a minimum then you can but at a reduced level.

2. They will lose leaves as they are deciduous. I wouldn't worry about a leaf or two turning yellow and you will eventually have bare canes which is normal.

If the plant is unhappy it could be dropping leaves maybe when it shouldn't or it may be normal. Can you also post a photo of the whole plant when you answer the questions above?
Old 03-10-2017, 11:52 AM

Pictures you asked for... just click the link.

Hi Bolero, Thanks for the response! So I have tried to posted links to photos of my plant that I put on my google+ but since I have less than 5 posts I am not allowed. So i will try to get back with you after I have made 5 random posts in the forum. I have no insight as a total newb into orchids so I don't have much to say, hence random. You will see later that in the photos I made are of my orchid in bloom. You can see that she has about 4 leaves really really drooping. Also, she is rapidly loosing her blooms. I am not watering very much as it is winter as I have read elsewhere. But these orchids don't normally bloom in winter do they? This means she has been forced by the nursury so that she would be in bloom for valentines day in february. So does that change the care and watering? should I water more since she is in bloom and has started a new cane. You will see the new cane in the close up of her roots.

Thanks so much for the advice! I am lost and so sad that her blooms are falling unspent, undried and perfect. I just want to enjoy her pretty scent and blooms and make her happy. She is grown indoors as hubby bought her from an indoor nursury.

Thanks again!!
Old 03-10-2017, 12:01 PM

Ok so I think that should have given me my five! Thankfully people responded to my introduction of myself so I could make some posts other than, "sorry I don't know anything" and" that is so sad about your orchid." LOL So here are the links to the photos of my dendrobium nobile. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wfv...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U_G...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFd...ew?usp=sharing
Old 03-10-2017, 12:03 PM

ooops missed one. This one choses the new growth starting.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Oc...ew?usp=sharing
Old 03-10-2017, 11:59 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Definitely let the mix dry out and let it stay dry but give it a splash. The potting mix shouldn't be constantly moist unless the minimum is over 13C.

The plant looks healthy but the mix looks too moist to me for this time of year. Maybe start watering more normally next month as your weather warms up. Also in summer you can water heaps and it's almost impossible to over fertilise.

The flowers are dropping as they are finishing and yes sometimes they can flower in the middle of winter, it depends on the hybrid. I have some that flower in winter but most do flower in Spring to early Summer.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:08 AM

ok so even in flower we let it be dry? Also not sure what you mean by minimum of 13C? Do you mean the ambiant temperature in my house or outdoors? I keep her in the house only.... she doesn't go out doors. Should I put her outdoors? My home temperature is around 20c or 21 depending on the day... I am a tropcial i hate cold weather!

And thanks!!!!!
Old 03-14-2017, 01:50 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I meant the ambient temperature wherever you grow it. Yes the plant can be left dryish in winter. As the weather warms up then you should increase water.

If you want the plant to flower again one day it may need to go outside. If you have a really sunny windowsill then it may flower again but these hybrids needs high light to flower. Dry winters and high light. Not direct sun but under dappled shade.

20 to 21 means you can water more often than I said earlier.......that is quite warm. But once the flowers drop you need new growths so you get new flowers. These really need bright light. Most of the year mine grow under 40% shade cloth for most of the day.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:37 AM

hmmm...ok

oooh sorry for the long delay. Been kinda hectic. Not kinda; down right crazy! Well the temperature outside here is ranging between 8c (46 F) celcius and 11 c (51 F). Once in a while it is 14 or 57F. Is that too cold for my orchid? Also LOTS of wind. It is currently forming what looks like at least one bud and has a new growth.All flowers are gone. What do you think? Should I put it out doors during the day?

Thanks!!
Melannie
Old 03-25-2017, 02:19 PM

jsehorn is on a distinguished road
Once the new growth gets a little bigger, that would be a good time to repot, and I think that would be a good idea, because whatever that is that it's growing in doesn't look too good. It looks too fine and heavy. Maybe it's just old and has broken down, or maybe it is peat moss (I've seen orchids sold growing in peat moss, and it may be great for shipping because it holds moisture for long periods, but it's not the best for long term growing), it's hard to tell from the picture what it is exactly.

Get a fine or medium grade fir bark or pine bark mix, and pot it in that, and the plant will probably appreciate it. Clean all the old potting mix off the roots. This will give you a chance to inspect the roots. If they are firm and plump, that's a good sign. If they feel hollow and the outer layer kind of peels away revealing a wire-like core, that means they are dead. But even if the roots aren't in great shape, you've got new growth, and new roots will follow, so it will be fine. Just don't leave it growing in whatever that is that it's in now.

The plant looks like it's in pretty good shape. I bet that the flowers are falling off because it's just time, not because you did anything wrong. The leaves tend to yellow and fall off on the previous year's canes after blooming. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Nobile Dendrobiums like cool nights, so you might be able to put it outside now. Fresh air and sunlight would be good for it. If it's windy, set the plastic pot down in a larger, heavy clay pot. They can get top heavy, and you don't want it to blow over. My dendrobiums are already outside in Oklahoma, and we are having night temperatures in the 40s and 50s, and day temperatures in the 70s. I leave them outside as long as I can in the fall, until the night temperatures are regularly below 45 (but I definitely bring them in if it's going to be near freezing), which is usually in November. They need those cold nights to bloom.

Again, your plant looks fine, I don't think you need to worry, but I do think you need to repot it soon.

Last edited by jsehorn; 03-25-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:55 AM

thanks!

Oooh thanks so much for all the advice!!! the new growth is going along nicely. I have had a feel around in the media and i think, no expert here, i think it is severaly degraded bark. it looks and feels almost like soil, until a closer look reveals that it has tiny tiny pieces of bark!I think it is just decomposed. So will do a repot this weekend. However, a bizarre new develoment has occured. There apepar to be yellow cracks all over the older canes!? Some of them look profound! What is this!? I am sending pics! This is freaking me out as i have looked at so many videos of dendrobiums and never seen cracks in the canes!?

here are the photos! Thanks so much for helping me! I am searching web but finding little about cracks...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10NV...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kT0...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks again you are a gem!!
mellie
Old 03-27-2017, 07:43 PM

Are you sure those cracks are new? They look like they have hardened up or scabbed over, or whatever you call it when a plant is wounded and then heals. They don't look fresh to me. They're a little unsightly, but I don't think they're a problem, unless the plant gets a bacterial infection. If that happens, they'll start to get brown and squishy, and you can avoid that by just making sure there's good air circulation around the plant.

As the cane grows, it's normal for the base of the leaf (the part that completely encircles the cane) to split. That just happens because the cane swells as it grows, and then that part of the leaf splits. That's normal and unavoidable. But I went outside and looked at my dendrobiums, and they don't have the little vertical cracks on the joints of the cane like yours does. But I think as long as the cracks are dry and have healed, there's nothing to worry about. If it happens on the new cane as it develops, it may warrant further consideration. Perhaps uneven watering? If the plant gets dehydrated, and then it suddenly gets a lot of water, perhaps that could cause the cane to swell with water too quickly and crack?

It sounds like the potting medium is definitely broken down, and I think getting it in fresh bark will probably solve any problems you might be having. I don't think the cracks are necessarily foreboding of imminent disaster, because they look dry, but it's worth keeping an eye on, especially if the new cane cracks like that. Keep a regular watering schedule, and let the plant get almost but not completely dry before watering again. Once the plant is in fresh bark, you'll probably have to water more often than you do now, and the time between watering will vary, depending on the weather, once you have the plant outside. With a little practice, you can learn to determine whether it is time to water or not by just picking up the plant and feeling how heavy it is.

So anyway, that's what I think
Old 03-28-2017, 10:40 AM

The cracks are definitly a new thing. They were not there when i bought it in february... I will keep an eye on it and let you know what happens.

Thanks bunches,
Melannie
Old 03-28-2017, 11:55 PM

Hmm, I wish I could help you more with the cracks, but I just don't know. I certainly don't think it's going to kill the plant or anything, so I guess for right now, just hope it doesn't happen anymore. If it continues to happen, we can worry about it then. I think the best thing to do is to just make sure the plant doesn't get dehydrated while the new canes are growing.

Also, I thought a little bit more about what I said about the plant being outside, and I wanted to clarify. I said you might be able to put the plant outside now, but I've thought better of that. They like cool nights, but they also like warm days. If your weather right now is cool night and day (which is what I think you're saying), and especially if it's gray and rainy, it's probably not time yet to put the plant outside. Maybe wait until temperatures are usually above 70 during the day. Nights even as cool as in the 40s won't hurt this kind of Dendrobium, but probably only if the days are warm.

Last edited by jsehorn; 03-29-2017 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:32 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

It would be time to put the plant out maybe in April as you get that warmer weather?

I think the cracks aren't a huge issue.

Tags
dendrobium nebile, in bloom, leaf loss