Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fishmom
  • 1 Post By storm7z7z
  • 1 Post By PaulB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 12:43 PM

storm7z7z is on a distinguished road
Wink Need some Advice :)

I am looking for any advice in general on how I can keep five orchids alive. A friend gave me the orchids because she didn't want them and didn't know anything about them also. I do have the tags with the names so hopefully that will make things easier. I live in the United States. Boston Massachusetts to be exact on the location. So here is the list of the Orchids.

1) Vanda Manuvadee - This one is in a hanging basket.
2) Bllra. Patricia McCully 'Pacific Matriarch'
3) Brsdm. Golden Gami 'white Knight' - This one is flowering and not sure if the name is 100% because it was hard to read.
4) Phrag. Eric Young 'First Time'
5) Bllra. Pacific Pastel 'Mauna Loa' - This one has a few buds

I was reading a little bit on the worm tea and was wondering if I could use it on all of these orchids. Thanks for your time in advance .
Old 07-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PaulB is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Orchid Geeks!

We'll need to know more about the plants. Especially the condition they are in right now. Potting medium, what they are planted in, your growing conditions, etc..

Pictures would be extremely helpful, so you'll need to post 5 times to be able to do that. Just post something, (doesn't matter what) to be able to post pics.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:53 PM

empress is on a distinguished road
I am with Paul. Pictures! But if they are in bloom or bud then they must be pretty healthy.

Garden Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Journal Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Photography

Old 07-04-2012, 02:23 PM

My camera got smashed haven't gotten a new one yet. Sorry I posted at all without pictures should of waited to post. They are all healthy as of now but I am worried for them now that they are in my hands lol. I dont know how I will take care of them. I was just reading on Vanda that I can keep them outside during the summer so I found a spot and going to leave that one there. I will try hard to get pics some how.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Executive Senior Member

Reg22 is on a distinguished road
Well, tell us what the rest are potted in. Are they in bark, sphagnum moss, etc?
The vanda will do well in bright light, and will need water daily in the summer assuming there is no media (roots are bare) in the hanging basket.

Welcome to the Geeks!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the welcome reg22 . I looked in all of the pots. The 2 bllra. and the one Brsdm. are in a bark mix with charcoal. The vanda also has a little bit of bark and charcoal also some stuff that looks almost like brown pine needles and white pieces that are hard not sure what it is. The vanda seems to just be on top of the mix in the hanging basket though. The Phrag has bark charcoal and the same hard white things in it. Hopefully thats helpful.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Executive Senior Member

I suggest going to the American Orchid Society site, where you can download and print Culture sheets. That will help you a lot, understanding light, temperature, fertilizer and general care.

AOS Culture Sheets
Old 07-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,261 Times in 950 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
With several different types of orchids, you are faced with different culture needs. A good culture guide for each one would be a good start. Here is a guide for the Phrag.:

Orchids by Marlow - Phragmipedium Care

The Bllra. is an abbreviation for Beallara, a hybrid of several other genuses (Brassia x Cochlioda x Miltonia x Odontoglossum). The Brsdm. is a hybrid of Brassia and Oncidium . Both of them are part of the Oncidium alliance, and there is a good culture sheet at the American Orchid Society:

AOS Culture Sheets

The same link will allow you to access one for the Vanda also.
orchids4me likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fishmom For This Useful Post:
LovePhals (07-04-2012), orchids4me (07-07-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 06:58 PM

Thanks For the links Paul and Fishmom. Fishmom for the Bllra. and the Brsdm. do I use the Oncidium Culture sheet? Also the phrag site gave me some good tips thanks. I will be putting a fan near the orchids for now on also. With the phrag. Should I just have it sit in a saucer of water also because it seems they need to stay wet or should I just water them everyday? Maybe I read it wrong. So far I am not to sure I can keep the Vanda alive. I Really like the Vanda. It seems like the weather in Boston might not be great for the plant. If anyone here from the Boston area and had great success with there Vanda please let me know. I also noticed since I had the Vanda plant the tip of the roots where green but today when I watered this morning I saw them red in color. Is that a bad sign? Also when keeping the Vanda outside and you water it everyday in the morning because we are in the summer months should you bring it inside if its going to rain late in the afternoon or at night because it can get cool here after rain or do people just bring the Vanda inside after getting sun and keep them inside during the night? Also can you put the Phrag. outside since the site says they need a lot of light also.

Last edited by storm7z7z; 07-04-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,261 Times in 950 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
Hi Storm7z7z, and welcome, which I forgot to say in my original post. Yes, you can use the oncidium guide for anything in the oncidium alliance. Over time, you may notice that a plant does better with a little more or less light or water, but just start out with the general guide and go from there. I have a lot of oncidiums, and they usually like plenty of water and medium-bright light, but they are tough plants for the most part and will do well without a lot of fussing.

I can't help you with the phrags or vanda, since I don't grow those, but I'm sure someone in your area will chime in to help.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:18 AM

OR! You can do what I did and still do: wing it. Ha ha!!! It wasn't until this year that I even started to fertilize my orchids. Sure you hit and miss with the blooming season but my orchids are happy with just water. I was just not too happy with no blooms. Lolz~

Old 07-05-2012, 08:52 AM

Ok thanks everyone will try my best hopefully I will be able to get pics up soon.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:47 AM

Well I am in love now with the Brsdm. 'white knight'. The 23 buds are starting to open I have 3 that opened up last night and they are awesome. They look like a star fish to me lol. Empress im probably going to have to wing it most of the time myself lol. I am in trouble I enjoy all the type of orchids but It seems i like the oncidium type and the Vanda.
PaulB likes this.

Last edited by storm7z7z; 07-05-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm7z7z View Post
Well I am in love now with the Brsdm. 'white knight'. The 23 buds are starting to open I have 3 that opened up last night and they are awesome. They look like a star fish to me lol. Empress im probably going to have to wing it most of the time myself lol. I am in trouble I enjoy all the type of orchids but It seems i like the oncidium type and the Vanda.
Me too! The Oncs favor me as well as they are sure to stay alive around me. My Sharry Baby has bloomed every year (so far).
Vandas bloom for me as well but my last Vanda had a tragic accident in a hot car. Pupu. I haven't got another one since. I'm working on it though!
Good luck~

Old 07-06-2012, 12:51 AM

Empress we seem to like the same orchids . I like the oncs and really like the vanda even with no flowers I think they are cool. Even the root growth is amazing. I am also finding Phrag. and phap. very interesting. Do you use worm tea by any chance? If so how is it?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Executive Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm7z7z View Post
Empress we seem to like the same orchids . I like the oncs and really like the vanda even with no flowers I think they are cool. Even the root growth is amazing. I am also finding Phrag. and phap. very interesting. Do you use worm tea by any chance? If so how is it?
There is a thread on Worm Tea Use here. Look around and do a search, you'll find it. A lot of people swear by it. Not cheap stuff, but then you can "grow your own".
I've been thinking of doing it/using it myself.
otis 226 likes this.

Last edited by PaulB; 07-06-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,321 Times in 686 Posts
otis 226 is on a distinguished road
I agree with Paul. If you want to try worm tea, it would be an easy matter to brew your own. From my reading, and experience with it, I'd say the only major drawback is that it needs to be used within hours of being made for the beneficial bacteria to do your plants much good.
I prefer and use liquid seaweed as a supplement to VERY weak and quite infrequent fertilizing. It seems to grow roots better than anything I know of. Also much of the benefit seems to come when the solution is sprayed on the foilage, and taken up by the plants in that manner.
Of course for every one on this board, you'll find a different suppliment that they swear by. I just feel liquid seaweed does it for my plants.
Cheers,
Tony
Old 07-06-2012, 02:22 PM

Nice thanks Paul and otis 226. I will look into everything you mentioned. I will also try to learn about liquid seaweed. I think both i might try but have one plant on one or the other hehe. I am running into a money snag since I been buying some more plants I just couldn't help it lol.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
The liquid seaweed cold filtered kelp is amazing stuff
If you want to try and make worm tea I do have a recipe in my thread on the subject. Make sure you have a small fish air pump, air line tubbing, and airstones. To weigh down the stones they have plant weights that are non lead now days also at pet shops that sell fish.
There are also places to buy worm tea. There are mixed reviews on the stuff as you read threads you will stumble across these. When I posted my thread I was a newbe myself at the time and was researching the worm tea subject back then. Lots of stuff on utube also but some sone filter the worm castings. The thing is with it its great for gardens its high in nitrogen. I tossed some worm castings into my cymbidiums and well I got the brown tips on the leaves that I had tried it on last year (not the tea just some castings) which is an indicator on this orchid of build up of minerals. I have since re potted them and ended that experiment lol . Again you will see mixed reviews on the stuff. But seaweed extract.... Good stuff!!!

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 07-07-2012, 07:57 PM

Thanks 2 everyone here all of you are amazing and helpful people
Old 07-07-2012, 10:56 PM

Well wanted to post the pictures I happened to get by borrowing a camera. Hope they will be ok if not let me know .

The Vanda Pics

Some Of the "White Knight"

Also here are some of the Phrag.

Well hope I did everything ok with the pictures. First time leaving pictures on a forum. I will put up the rest of the pics tomorrow because im tired. I also have them in my album if u want to check them. Have a good night .
Old 07-07-2012, 11:53 PM

Your orchids look great! Keep up the good work~

Old 07-08-2012, 01:32 AM

rosa is on a distinguished road
A simple question

Hi there: To everyone whom have been teaching me how to take care of my orchids. I read all your messages every days since I bought my first orchid plant 3 moths ago. I have the orchids in my apartment with the AC on, during the day it is set on 74 degrees and during the night on 72 degrees. The question is, do I need to put a fan to the orchids?
Old 07-09-2012, 03:55 PM

Nah. Days get as hot as 90 (lately and it ain't full summer yet T-T) and I don't run a fan. I just keep the windows open and let the breeze waft in. In you don't live in an area where you have a nice cross breeze then perhaps? Good air movement is also good for the orchids.
But the AC should move air around too... I think you're good.