• 1 Post By sunshine
  • 2 Post By Fishmom
  • 2 Post By syndywindy
  • 2 Post By Orkid Momma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2019, 03:53 PM

Orkid Momma is on a distinguished road
Question Need advice PLEASE!

I am a newbie to growing Orchids. So far, I have 2 Phals and they seem to be doing good, not dying, throwing new spike and flower buds. Phals I have a pretty good idea of what I am doing. (at least I think I am doing ok with them).

My hubby ordered me 2 new Orchids online, and they are my anniversary present(early). He bought them because he thought they were pretty, but he doesn't realize that not all Orchids are the same.

One is a C. Motte spot x Hilo grand, and the other is a Maxillaria madida. I cannot seem to find a lot of info on how to take care of them.
Are they Species? Hybrids?

If anyone can help me get some information I would greatly appreciate it! He paid a lot for these two plants, and I am totally unfamiliar these.

Like what is best potting medium, how much/often to water, light, how often to
fertilize them, and any tips or tricks to make sure I don't kill them.

I realize he was trying to make me happy, but to spend that much money, I don't want to see them die in a few months.
It will also help me in my education on Orchids, and I am doing all the reading and video watching trying to understand these wonderful plants!

Oh, and the plants will be here by Saturday,
Bolero likes this.

Orkid Momma

Hurricane, Utah
The Following User Says Thank You to Orkid Momma For This Useful Post:
Bolero (02-07-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 04:36 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
i would recommend having a look at the American Orchid Society web page this is what I found on Maxillaria
Maxillaria
Orkid Momma (02-10-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 05:58 PM

Thanks Fred!

Did not even think to look there! DUH!

Orkid Momma

Hurricane, Utah
Old 01-15-2019, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,656 Times in 2,212 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkid Momma View Post
I am a newbie to growing Orchids. So far, I have 2 Phals and they seem to be doing good, not dying, throwing new spike and flower buds. Phals I have a pretty good idea of what I am doing. (at least I think I am doing ok with them).

My hubby ordered me 2 new Orchids online, and they are my anniversary present(early). He bought them because he thought they were pretty, but he doesn't realize that not all Orchids are the same.

One is a C. Motte spot x Hilo grand, and the other is a Maxillaria madida. I cannot seem to find a lot of info on how to take care of them.
Are they Species? Hybrids?

If anyone can help me get some information I would greatly appreciate it! He paid a lot for these two plants, and I am totally unfamiliar these.

Like what is best potting medium, how much/often to water, light, how often to
fertilize them, and any tips or tricks to make sure I don't kill them.

I realize he was trying to make me happy, but to spend that much money, I don't want to see them die in a few months.
It will also help me in my education on Orchids, and I am doing all the reading and video watching trying to understand these wonderful plants!

Oh, and the plants will be here by Saturday,
Happy Birthday. Orchids are very expensive and I can tell you from experience when a orchid has a hefty price tag and it dies it's scary. But
figure out what you did wrong, pick yourself up and try again. Google is your friend. If you see something you just gotta have Google it. You will see pictures and you can also find culture pages.

C. Motte spot x Hilo grand,is a nice hybrid. It took me awhile to figure out the difference between hybrid and species. Here's what I figured out.

Hybrid- I can pronounce the name and the first letter of each name is a capital.

Species I am going to use Maxillaria madida as an example. The first letter of the plant name is a capital. The second name is all small letters and can't always pronounce it.

If your grow in your home learn your growing requirements. Temperature. Light and humidity.
Temperature Ranges

The best way to learn is join your local orchid society.
Orkid Momma likes this.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000209739937
The Following User Says Thank You to sunshine For This Useful Post:
Orkid Momma (02-10-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 02:57 PM
Senior Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,261 Times in 950 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
Yes, your C. Motte Spot x Hilo Grand is a Cattleya hybrid, as Sunshine says. Cattleyas as a group will require more light than phals, so look for a sunny spot in your home. The AOS has culture sheets for all the main groups of orchids, cattleyas included. It is a great place to start, but your local orchid society is even better, because experienced growers can answer specific questions.
sunshine and Orkid Momma like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishmom For This Useful Post:
Orkid Momma (02-10-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,877 Times in 2,961 Posts
syndywindy is on a distinguished road
Maxillaria madida is actually a synonym. The accepted name for your orchid is Maxillaria subulata.
A good place to find information on species is Internet Orchid Species Photo Encyclopedia. (IOSPE) it can give you some idea as to what you have and what the plant needs. This is found in Brazil usually growing in and on rocks. Intermediate temps should work well. It's a small plant with small flowers and typically will bloom in spring if it's a bloom sized plant. Usually grows in shade so you can probably treat it like a Phal or Paph for its light needs.
Hope this helps you somewhat. But the IOSPE is a great place if you wantbinfo on species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bolero and Orkid Momma like this.

Life is Good Today! Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorrow.

Synda
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to syndywindy For This Useful Post:
Bolero (02-21-2019), Orkid Momma (02-10-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 06:30 PM

Fishmom, Syndywindy, Sunshine, and Fred,
Thank you so much for the information! I have started a file with information for all my Orchids and you have helped so, so much!
I have been having trouble with my internet, so was unable to reply till now. I was able to "like" your posts, but could not reply till now.
THANK YOU so much!
Bolero and fred like this.

Orkid Momma

Hurricane, Utah