Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tony

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2018, 12:26 PM

john lapointe is on a distinguished road
masdevallias

I have finally hit upon the magic conditions to successfully grow Masdevallias, built a grow room in basement where i can control temperature a humidity. Now I am looking to increases collection of them, Draculas also, mainly Masdevallia hybrids. I founf a orchid house in Australia but does not ship to US, am looking for a US supplier of hybrid Masdevallias. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated, thanks John.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:39 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,407 Times in 1,233 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
That Australian nursery you mentioned is pretty awesome, they have some of the best hybrids in the world. I would have a large number of plants from them.

I think there should be a nursery or two in Northern California. There is the Pleurothallid Alliance which may be able to help you find nurseries and a lot of the members have extensive collections. It's worth joining if you are going to get into it in a big way. Of course Masdevallias and Draculas are pleurothallids.

The Official Website of The Pleurothallid Alliance

Does this nursery sell what you are looking for?

https://jlorchids.com/

I am assuming you found Mt Beenak Orchids and they don't ship overseas?

Have you also tried Royale Orchids in Australia, I am not sure if they do or not and their range isn't as good. Maybe also do a search for Europe as some of them may ship overseas.

Darren

Last edited by Bolero; 01-13-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:25 PM
Junior Member Photobucket

Tony is on a distinguished road
Asuka Orchids

I have ordered from this grower in Northern California. I struggle to keep them alive. I might have found a solution still experimanting.

I have taken a clay pot and I put 4 drain hole in the side. Two in the bottom quarter of the pot and two about half way up. I then planted the Massie in Hydroton and I am keeping the them in a plastic saucer with water that goes up to the highest hole in the pot which is about half way.

So far not dead, they survived the summer in NJ so now I am trying to get them to survive the winter indoors. The area of the room I keep them in with other Orchids hovers around 65 at night and 68 to 70 during the day.

If I can get them out in early May and they start to push new growth then I will look for another one.
Bolero likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony For This Useful Post:
Bolero (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 12:48 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,407 Times in 1,233 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
I have to say I grow them down to 32F and try to keep the maximums in the 70's.

When it gets to 92 I put them all in my bathroom until the heat passes. There is a great book out on Masdevallias and it's really interesting just how narrow their conditions are in nature and that's probably why they are so hard to grow at times. I do ok though.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:37 AM

john lapointe is on a distinguished road
Good morning, thanks for the suppliers, Mt. Beenak would be a valid reason to move to Australia they set a high bar. Ecuagenera has a good selection of species. I just may have to be patient and add them to my list for the spring. In my limited experience humidity and reasonable temperatures was the key to keeping them alive and blooming. I tortured them outdoors in the summer and keep them in the house during the winter on humidity trays, still not enough humidity. Last year I did not bring plants in til first frost, covered the plants, all survived. The key to improved growing, all my orchids, my collection multiplied over thr year, ran out of space in the living quarters, built a growing room in basement with more control over the environment, all plants thrived, be mindful as to supply adequate air movement.I try not to let the Masdevallias 75 degrees.