Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 01:34 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,308 Times in 749 Posts
tangers40 is on a distinguished road
looking to get my first den....advice?

i've only ever had phals and i'm now familiar with their growing style and their requirements. but i saw a den. the other day that i absolutely loved. i'm considering getting it, but am so confused when trying to read care sheets on them. it seems there are different requirements for each type of den, but how do i find out what kind it was? the tag read Den. Hollywood. the flowers looked much like a phal flower, so am i correct in assuming this is a phal-type den? if so, where exactly would i look for care information for it?

chances are, i'm gonna head back to the store and all 3 of them will be gone already, but just in case they're not, i'd like to know what i'm in for if i get it

thanks!
Old 01-31-2009, 06:29 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,449 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Den Hollywood is a phal-type dendrobium. The "basic" dendrobium culture sheet is usually geared toward these types of dendrobium. The dendrobium culture sheet offered by the AOS is for phal-type dens and can be found at AOS | Home or here on this forum.

Cheers!
Old 01-31-2009, 07:26 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
I hope it's still there! Good luck! The Dens that I have are the phalaenopsis type. They're pretty easy to grow.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:32 AM
V.I.P Member

ok, so on the AOS sheet, i should follow the info listed under the "phalaenanthe" heading, correct? there's also spatulata, dendrobium group 1 and 2, callista, and several others. that's where i got confused. some say to give the plant a solid dry rest, others say not to.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Yes the phalaenanthe culture is the one to follow for this type. Phalaenopsis types are relatively easy to grow, it should do well for you.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:09 AM
V.I.P Member

ty everybody.

i was gonna head to the store to get my plant today, but i totally screwed up my schedule and ended up with some perishable dip in my car that i didn't want to let sit out any longer than it had already. i'll try again wed.

however, i did get my mom to buy her first orchid today! she bought a little phal/dtps. and i couldn't believe it, but it was a grocery store and they had 2 paphs, some HUGE cyms, and a bunch of oncidiums in addition to bunches of phals. i couldn't believe their selection. i had to drag myself out of there without any of them...no money and no room
Old 02-02-2009, 02:21 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,449 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangers40 View Post
ok, so on the AOS sheet, i should follow the info listed under the "phalaenanthe" heading, correct?
Yes, correct. "Phal-type" means "Phalaenanthe-type" so follow that info.