Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2016, 04:20 AM

ran86 is on a distinguished road
Leaves getting soft/limp

Hi guys. I have a question which i cant find a definite answer to on the web. I recently got myself a couple of Phals from the nursery. When i pick them from the nursery the leaves are firm and erect. However, after bringing them home for a couple of days, the leaves will somehow get a little softer and will start to fall (i think you guys call it limp?)

The place in which i purchase the phals usually have them in an air conditioned greenhouse so the only changes i can think of after bringing the phals home are the temperature in which the plants sit. I live in Malaysia, tropical climate here, and the average temperature during the day is 30-32'C (in the shade where i place the plants) and 25-27'C at night. I do not have an appropriate window to place them hence i have to put them outside under the porch shade with no direct sunlight.

I read somewhere that providing a temp difference of 10 degrees encourages blooming so i actually move them indoors at night where i turn on my air conditioner and the temp is around 22-24'C. Humidity is not an issue here.

Also, the phals come in tightly packed spaghnum moss and i am not too comfortable with it as even after 7 days, the moss still hasnt dried. I have lessen the amount of spaghnum and cut lots of holes at the sides of the plastic pot that it came with, at least it dries out faster.

So here's a picture of few of the phals i have. Does it look like its weak or anything? and what could be the cause of the leaves limping?

Roots look generally fine, not sure bout those in the middle but there are "some" parts of the root that looks dark brown, which might or might not be root rot!

Generally you can see the leafs starting to point downwards. They were upright when in the shop.

This one's the worst. But i suspect it might be due to dehydration because when this happened the top layer of spaghnum was dry ? I soaked it in water for 10 mins yesterday and it still hasnt improved yet today

This one i had to repot because i woke up to find that ants has infested the potting media. hundreds of them. This plant also has its leaf limpy. But roots look generally OK right?
The Following User Says Thank You to ran86 For This Useful Post:
MangaOrchid21 (01-14-2017)
Old 12-18-2016, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,631 Times in 2,187 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road

Your phals are gorgeous and are dehydrated. I used to dread sphag. Always overwatering. Now all I do is lift the pot. Give your phals a good drink and the pot will be heavy due to water, every few days lift the pot. It will get lighter as it dries out. My experience w/phals that come planted in sphag is to repot. The reason being is I found the phals to be in about 3 layers of sphag. Dry on the top but still soaking wet in the middle causing root rot. When you lessened the sphag did you reuse the sphag they came planted in or did you use fresh? Whenever you repot always use fresh medium whether it's sphag,bark or something else. The reason being medium will be a host to a bunch of nasty bugs etc. that is affecting the plant. Another thing about repotting. One the back of the tag I put Repot and the date. Takes away the guesswork and my memory ain't what it used to be,lol

Also noticed a pretty yellow cattleya w/ a red lip.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:01 AM

ran86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine View Post

Your phals are gorgeous and are dehydrated. I used to dread sphag. Always overwatering. Now all I do is lift the pot. Give your phals a good drink and the pot will be heavy due to water, every few days lift the pot. It will get lighter as it dries out. My experience w/phals that come planted in sphag is to repot. The reason being is I found the phals to be in about 3 layers of sphag. Dry on the top but still soaking wet in the middle causing root rot. When you lessened the sphag did you reuse the sphag they came planted in or did you use fresh? Whenever you repot always use fresh medium whether it's sphag,bark or something else. The reason being medium will be a host to a bunch of nasty bugs etc. that is affecting the plant. Another thing about repotting. One the back of the tag I put Repot and the date. Takes away the guesswork and my memory ain't what it used to be,lol

Also noticed a pretty yellow cattleya w/ a red lip.
Thanks for the response. Any idea how soon will the leafs get healthy again after i water them down ?

Just to be sure, excessive heat (35'c ?) will not cause it to droop right?

And yeah, i used new Spag. threw away the old ones. Also put a layer of charcoal below the spag as the water tends to sit at the bottom for prolonged periods of time and keeps the roots 'soaked' which might cause them to rot.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,631 Times in 2,187 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ran86 View Post
Thanks for the response. Any idea how soon will the leafs get healthy again after i water them down ?

Just to be sure, excessive heat (35'c ?) will not cause it to droop right?

And yeah, i used new Spag. threw away the old ones. Also put a layer of charcoal below the spag as the water tends to sit at the bottom for prolonged periods of time and keeps the roots 'soaked' which might cause them to rot.

Your daytime temps of 32-35C (80-90 F), nighttime temps 25-25C (70-77F) are fine and sounds like you have a great growing space for your phals. You don't need to put charcoal in the bottom of the pot.But you can use the those foam packing peanuts in the bottom to help w/ drainage and they also help to hold in a little moisture. I also use a few in the bottom if my pot is too deep. Always make sure the pot you are repotting in has holes in the bottom for drainage. Also if you set your plants in pretty decorative potsmake sure you empty out the excess water. You should start noticing a difference in the phal leaves in a few days. I went back and looked at your pictures. Leaves should be firm and not wrinkled/soft. Most of the phal leaves droop b/c of size and weight. Also when in nature growing on trees helps to keep water out of the crown. Water in the crown causes crown rot.

We have a lot of phal grower's on here. I will tell you phals take their chances coming home w/me,lol