Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheBlazingAugust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 10:35 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Including photos in your posts on Orchidgeeks

New Orchidgeeks members often ask how photos can be included in their posts. Here is a simple way to post pictures. Important: do this only with photos that are YOURS, unless you have permission to post someone else's photo, and credit them/identify the source in your post.

If you already have pictures posted on another site, you may be able to skip some of these steps (go to blue text below). My instructions work on a Windows 7 PC, instructions may differ on a Mac/iPad, etc.

On Orchidgeeks, at the upper left in the menu bar at the top, click "User CP". A user control panel will then appear along the left side of the screen; under "Networking", click on "Pictures and Albums". You should see a new screen that says something like "Catt Mandu's Albums". Click the "Add Album" link. Another new screen will appear, requesting a title (can be anything, such as "Album 1" and a description (can be anything, such as "Album 1" again, or "My orchids", or whatever you want), then click "Submit". After creating the album, you can always go to it by going to User CP > Pictures and Albums then clicking the name of the album.

To add pictures to your album, click the name of the album. There will be a link, "Upload Pictures", click that link. There will appear a box with four "choose file" buttons. Click one of these, then navigate on your computer to a place where you have stored the picture you want. Select the picture you want, then OK. You can select as many as 4 pictures at a time, then click "Upload Pictures". NOTE: It is best if you resize the photo before uploading, a picture size of 640x480 (or 480x640) works well. You can resize photos with Microsoft Office Picture Manager, Paint, or a number of other programs. If you don't know how to resize, the "Upload Pictures" utility will try to do that for you. The upload can take a few minutes, be patient.

When you have photos in your album, you can put them in your posts. Click one of the thumbnail photos for one of the pictures you want to post. The new screen that comes up will have a larger version of your photo. Below that are 2 boxes that say "Picture URL" (the web address for the photo) and "BB Code". Simplest way to get a picture into your post is to highlight the whole BB Code (left click 3 times to highlight the whole thing), then right click once and select "Copy". Note that the BB code has [IMG] before the address of the photo, and [/IMG] after the photo. This is useful to know if you are posting your pictures that are hosted on another web site.

Go to your post. At the place where you want the photo, right click and select "Paste". The code for the photo will be inserted in your post and your photo will be visible to those that view your post.

If you have photos posted elsewhere on the web, you can skip much of what I posted above. Instead, go to your photo on the web, and copy the URL for the photo. Into your post, type the [IMG] and [/IMG] discussed above. Then paste your photo URL between the 2 sets of brackets (so that it looks like the BB Code; no spaces between the bracket sets and the inserted URL).

You can do the same thing with website URLs by using the same brackets before and after the web address, but substitute URL for IMG inside the brackets.

There are buttons above the post that are meant to help you insert pictures into a post (icon looks like a picture of mountains) and web links (icon looks like a globe with chain links). My experience has been that these don't work very well. I always find it easier to do what I described above.

I hope you find this helpful!

Last edited by Catt Mandu; 05-30-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Clean up end of the last paragraph.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Catt Mandu For This Useful Post:
dbroome (05-29-2013), DioscoreaBleh (10-01-2014), pitcherday (11-24-2014), R&P (05-30-2013), slc (06-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 03:28 AM

TheBlazingAugust is on a distinguished road
I find using an outside source like Photobucket or Flickr to be far superior to attaching images. When browsing on my phone, when I first click on an attched image, I get sent to another tab of just that picture, where I have to go back to the OG page, and then carefully try to click next so I don't close the floating window with the attached images. Using an outside source makes it easy just to toss images in that you can see as you scroll. I remember when I first joined an orchid forum, I tried doing the attaching method, and immediately hated it. Outside websites are the bomb! Anyways, just my two cents.
Catt Mandu likes this.

Orchids in a Closet ~ A detailed journal of my orchid endeavours.

~Cody Hamilton~
Old 06-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
from my cell phone i just click on the manage attachments button below the the reply box if you scroll down a little there click that and it takes you to depending on your cell phone to your gallery to browse and then click on the pic and repeat if you want a few in one post then hit upload then close the lower of the 2 windows after the upload then it will let you send message and pics will be in thumbnails bottom of post.

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye