Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 10:15 AM

Newbie2Orchids is on a distinguished road
I need some advice please

Hello, I am a newbie to Orchids and i have two now one as a present and one that i bought. They are both Moth Orchids. The first one that i bought i think i did the common thing and over watered it! The Leaves are drooping and some of the roots were black and mushy, there are no flowers left on it. I cut back the mushy roots leaving just light green roots and cut the stem to a cm above the 2nd node was this correct? I have moss in the pot which is what the Orchid originally came in. The leaves are also quite a dark green so i have been keeping them in a well lit place with a humidity of 65% and a temperature of 24.5c. I am now only going to re water when is needed but im not really sure when that is. I here some people say to soak all the way through and drain once a month and thats it. Some say when the pot feels light and some say once or twice a week so im not too sure. Will my Orchid come back to life do you think?
Old 08-11-2011, 10:20 AM

I need some advice please

Hello, I am a newbie to Orchids and i have two now one as a present and one that i bought. They are both Moth Orchids. The first one that i bought i think i did the common thing and over watered it! The Leaves are drooping and some of the roots were black and mushy, there are no flowers left on it. I cut back the mushy roots leaving just light green roots and cut the stem to a cm above the 2nd node was this correct? I have moss in the pot which is what the Orchid originally came in. The leaves are also quite a dark green so i have been keeping them in a well lit place with a humidity of 65% and a temperature of 24.5c. I am now only going to re water when is needed but im not really sure when that is. I here some people say to soak all the way through and drain once a month and thats it. Some say when the pot feels light and some say once or twice a week so im not too sure. Will my Orchid come back to life do you think?
Old 08-11-2011, 10:34 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,030 Posts
-k- is on a distinguished road
Take a look at the AOS culture sheet, link attached... it's possible your orchid will survive but may need to be repotted if it is current old medium. When you post 5 times you can post a picture, that will help folks here to better serve your questions.

http://www.aos.org/Default.aspx?id=204
The Following User Says Thank You to -k- For This Useful Post:
Newbie2Orchids (08-11-2011)
Old 08-11-2011, 11:01 AM

Thank you, thats brilliant, I think there is still hope that it will live. One more question, if i repot it how long can it take to flower again, i dont want to upset the orchid by repotting it but i dont want it to die if i dont repot it. Do you or anyone else have any picture of what the Orchid should look like when its in between flowering?

Old 08-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Executive Senior Member

Emma Grey is on a distinguished road
Repotting shouldn't upset the orchid if you do it gently. Make sure you don't put the orchid in a pot that is too large. Make sure the pot is just large enough for the roots of the plant, with space for a finger between the roots and the edge of the pot. Also, make sure the pot you put the plant in has drainage holes.

As for reflowering, it depends on the plant's genetics so there's no way to say for sure how long it will take before the plant reflowers. Of course, giving it good culture like that described on the AOS Culture Sheet really helps!
Newbie2Orchids (08-12-2011)
Old 08-11-2011, 12:42 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,030 Posts
-k- is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2Orchids View Post
Thank you, thats brilliant, I think there is still hope that it will live. One more question, if i repot it how long can it take to flower again, i dont want to upset the orchid by repotting it but i dont want it to die if i dont repot it. Do you or anyone else have any picture of what the Orchid should look like when its in between flowering?

Emma provided some solid advice on the repot! Rebloom times for a healthy plant typically occur one a year, either spring ot autumn. Since your plant is having some difficulties it may be set back and skip a year (bloom cycle). It's best to provide your plant with optimal culture in hopes for a quick recovery.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:14 PM

Phalkiller is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Orchidgeeks! I've joined only a few months ago but i've learned from this site that if you use a bamboo stick and stick it into the media and it comes back wet looking then you do not have to water yet. With phalenopsis orchids, the moth orchid, its best not to let them completly dry out thus the bamboo stick should help you. Other more experienced members will be on their way to help you very soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phalkiller For This Useful Post:
Newbie2Orchids (08-12-2011)
Old 08-11-2011, 10:02 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,449 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
I've moved your duplicate post along with a reply to it from another thread into this one. It is not necessary to post the same question in multiple threads.

Phalkiller....who hopefully will be able to one day change their name to PhalGROWER ( )... is refering to what we call the skewer method. If you do a forum search for "skewer method" you'll find the thread. Also if you have nto already done so, read the phal culture sheet at American Orchid Society or here on this forum!
Old 08-12-2011, 04:12 AM

Thank you

Thanks everyone they are all really great tips!