Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 03:54 PM

OrchidAddict84 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Help w/ Treating Fungus on Cattleya

So, I've been growing some new Cattleya's in Spag Moss and recently noticed that my newly bloomed beauties had a fingus growing on the leaves. I attributed this to the moss not draining/drying fast enough in the type of basket I had them in. (last time I watered was over two weeks ago, and the moss was still moist) So, I decided to empty out the basket to examine the damage and replace the moss with bark and top-layer some new moss.

I'm going to cut the damaged leaf but don't know if I should do the same to the roots - they're all pale and kinda squishy - not firm at all. (picture attached)

Also, I don't have Physan yet (should be here in a week or so - local stores didn't have any). So, I have also included a pic of what I do have. Which do you all think I should use to treat? Also, should I just spray on the leaves or would it be ok to treat roots directly as well?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (62.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (48.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (119.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.jpg (57.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 02-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

11Orchid126 is on a distinguished road
Check those labels on those bottles and make sure they're good to use on either orchids or roses. Anything good for roses is okay for orchids. If not, you might reconsider using them. However, they would be okay for the basket.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 11Orchid126 For This Useful Post:
OrchidAddict84 (02-29-2012), vanda_obsession (03-02-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Orchid126 View Post
Check those labels on those bottles and make sure they're good to use on either orchids or roses. Anything good for roses is okay for orchids. If not, you might reconsider using them. However, they would be okay for the basket.
Thanks!

Would you also recommend me spraying the roots?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:44 AM

So, I decided to remove all the damaged tissue from the leaves and inspected the roots.

Other than seeming a little too moist when I removed the old spag, the roots dried out nicely and have a decent color to them - some new growth is present, but not much.

I replanted my orchids in some bark I had available (after bleaching & rinsing the basket). I just got my Physan 20 today and will be spraying the orchids later this afternoon.

I was wondering, would it also be a good idea to flush the new media with this as well? While potting, I noiced some mold on the bark - - don't know if it's anything I should worry about.

Thoughts?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:06 PM

Thanked 1,024 Times in 419 Posts
FLBob is on a distinguished road
Don't mean to throw you a curve, but I notice that you are in Miami. If you grow outdoors, using most barks mixes on the market will only give you about 1 year before your bark is breaking down to a point that it will be detrimental to your plant. I know many Florida growers use bark in their mixes, but most will be using a higher cost bark and making their own mix. Rexius, or New Zealand Pinus radiata bark are two of the barks that two of the local commercial grower use.

The product in the green bottle I believe is neem oil, which will help to control mold and mildew. I use neem about twice each month, I add a little dawn dish soap as an emulsifier, but think it also helps control the unwanted.
OrchidAddict84 (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,656 Times in 2,212 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
Don't mean to throw you a curve, but I notice that you are in Miami. If you grow outdoors, using most barks mixes on the market will only give you about 1 year before your bark is breaking down to a point that it will be detrimental to your plant. I know many Florida growers use bark in their mixes, but most will be using a higher cost bark and making their own mix. Rexius, or New Zealand Pinus radiata bark are two of the barks that two of the local commercial grower use.

The product in the green bottle I believe is neem oil, which will help to control mold and mildew. I use neem about twice each month, I add a little dawn dish soap as an emulsifier, but think it also helps control the unwanted.
You were growing your catts in sphag Catts love a nice chunky airy mix. The middle bottle in your pictures that says Fungicide is an excellent procuct and very safe for orchids. Physan is an excellent product, too. I have used Physan on black rot with good results.

FLBob, don't some of you grow your catts in LECA (hydroton) b/c of the humidity down there?

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000209739937
The Following User Says Thank You to sunshine For This Useful Post:
OrchidAddict84 (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 03:33 PM

This is great advise!

I'm about to spray the little suckers right now.

I also have Vandas (not in any media) with their roots hanging out over their basket. I'd like to spray those with the Physan as well. But, don't know if I should take special precaution to avoid the roots?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:31 AM

Location: Lexington/Redbank, SC (current) -- Tavares, FL (hometown)
vanda_obsession is on a distinguished road
I'm always cautious with my vandas when it comes to spraying them with something, maybe its my paranoia, but I water their ROOTS good then spray the entire plant down with what anti-somethig I'm using.

"The heart is the shadow of the mind; when the mind lets go, the heart hangs on."

Tags
cattleya, fungicide, fungus, roots