Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By katrina
  • 1 Post By Catt Mandu

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2016, 08:15 PM

Helen orchid is on a distinguished road
Healthy green leaf suddenly fallen over

My phal orchid has been growing new roots and a healthy green leaf which was very up right and strong. Over night the leaf suddenly toppled over on its side near the crown. I'm worried that this may indicate some sort of rot or disease although I can't see anything. Can anyone help? I have attached a photo of the leaf - it's the one in the middle. Many thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160125_075541.jpg (42.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 1453681041034-1347979279.jpg (40.3 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Helen orchid; 01-24-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:18 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,105 Times in 1,011 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
I am not a Phal expert but the orchid looks healthy to me. I don't see evidence of 'crown rot' which happens if you get water trapped where the leaves join the 'stem' and the roots that are showing look good. Of course, I cannot take a closer look or know what is happening under the medium but what I can see is the picture of health. What usually kills Phals is over-watering and getting water on the leaves.

Hopefully, someone else will know what is happening with your Phal.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:11 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,372 Times in 3,084 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Looks good to me too. I would guess it's just getting so long that gravity is taking over.
Orchidgirl83 likes this.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:15 AM
V.I.P Member

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Although the plant shows no sign of disease, here a a few things you might consider regarding the leaves flopping over like that.

1. What kind of light is it getting? If it is natural (sun) light, you can do a rough check of light level using the "hand shadow" method. Place the plant where it normally grows on a sunny day. Place your hand, fingers spread, 1 foot above a leaf between the light and the leaf. What kind of shadow do you see?
a. No shadow or only faint, fingers not distinct.
b. Shadow with fingers distinguishable but shadow margins diffuse.
c. Stronger shadow, margins still not totally sharp
d. Strong shadow, shadow margins very sharp.

Phals usually do well with "b" light level. They can adapt to "c" if allowed to adjust slowly. "d" is too strong, and "a" can result in elongated leaves that are less rigid. If your light is "a", see if you can increase it - gradually - to "b".

2. How healthy are the roots, and how do you water? Lift the plastic pot out of the decorative pot. The roots should look green, silver or white through the clear pot and you should see a lot of them. Healthy roots will often hold onto the inside of the plastic pot. Brown, soft roots are dead. You can encourage a strong root system by watering less often but thoroughly; when you water flood water over the roots and bark at the sink, allow it to drain before putting it back in the decorative pot. Don't water again until the bark is nearly dry (only a little condensation visible through the sides of the clear pot, but you should see some). Floppy leaves can be a sign that the leaves are not getting enough water, either because of unhealty/over watered roots, or because of under-watering.

3. How do you fertilize? A lot of fertilizer with high nitrogen can cause rapid growth of vegetation that may not be strong. Lately, I've been using a water- soluble fertilizer with low nitrogen, such as an 11-35-15 blend, applied once or twice a month at 1/4 the strength recommended on the package.

With the current floppy leaf, you may be able to get it to firm up by propping the leaf up an letting it mature/harden in that position.

Good luck!
gingerhill likes this.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:34 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,105 Times in 1,011 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
Great things to consider!

Tags
leaf topple fallen over