Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2018, 01:06 PM

john lapointe is on a distinguished road
dormancy

Good morning, question concerning dormancy, just received a plant from South America where breaking dormancy is upon them, while in the northern hemisphere plants are just starting to enter dormancy. How do I treat this plant, Cynoches peruvianum? It has two new growths around 3 - 4" tall with new roots about the same, shipped bare root. I searched awhile for this plant and have no desire to hasten it's demise. I live in the northern hemisphere. Advice?
Old 10-06-2018, 07:09 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,249 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
Well it's heading into dormancy as you say. I would be careful not to over water it.

Reduce watering and maybe mist the plant. Does it have active roots that are still growing? I would keep it dry right now or you do risk losing it.

Interesting that it's putting out new growths now, reducing water will set it back, what minimum temps will you have it out over winter? You may find it stops growing but the reduced watering means the new growths stop growing which isn't ideal as it has to start again.

If you are growing it warm over winter and it's a small plant you may get away with continual watering and misting. It's hard to measure what you should be doing. Do you have a photo of the plant and measurements?
Old 10-07-2018, 08:01 PM

john lapointe is on a distinguished road
Well it's heading into dormancy time in the northern hemisphere but this plant just arrived from Peru and thinks it's spring, two new growths with roots. the back bulbs, 4 of them range in size from 3-6" full and green. It is cooling down here, middle America and I'll start bring in the plants in for the season, grown under lights. Sorry no photo, I'm a technological Ludite.