Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 09:06 PM

sanibel57 is on a distinguished road
Do I repot my new Phal Orchid?

Hello! I am a new owner of a Phal Orchid and I am wondering whether or not to repot it. I have attached a picture of the roots. I have read that when the roots are coming out of the pot, you should repot but my orchid is still blooming/has buds. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orchids 005.jpg (53.6 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Senior Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

norris is on a distinguished road
Hi sanibel57, and welcome It looks to me like your plant could use a bit bigger home. I've read that many Phal owners re-pot while in bloom with no problems,so I think it would be ok to re-pot it now. Here is a link that might be helpful to you.

http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/new...laenopsis.html

and another...http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...and-media.html

Good luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norris For This Useful Post:
Orkid Momma (11-09-2018), sanibel57 (05-29-2009)
Old 05-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Member Photobucket

orchidlover55 is on a distinguished road
I am a newbie also. I started about six months ago with a Phalaenopsis now the last time I counted I had seventy and I bought seven more today but I had to repot several of mine while in bloom and they did real well. It is best to have two people when you repot it so one can support the flowers and the other one taking the plant out of the pot , so it won't get harmed. Let us see a pic if you do repot it . Happy Orchid Life !!! Once you have bought your first one you are usually hooked
sanibel57 (05-29-2009)
Old 05-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Executive Senior Member

Hummer344 is on a distinguished road
It looks as though your orchid is potted in moss. For those that are use to using moss its a good growing medium but for beginners its not easy. I would re-pot the orchid in small orchid bark mix. Any phal I get thats in moss is repotted within a few days of getting it and I usually don't lose any bloom at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hummer344 For This Useful Post:
sanibel57 (05-29-2009)
Old 05-28-2009, 10:08 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,583 Times in 929 Posts
mehitabel is on a distinguished road
I would repot. At the most you would lose a couple of the older flowers, but if the flowers are fresh, there's often no effect at all on the flowers.

If you use bark, be sure to presoak it, as new bark doesn't retain enough water. And if your phal is too dry in the new medium, that is when it definitely will start to lose flowers.

The reason for repotting now instead of waiting is that roots can decline seriously over just a month or two, and phals are in bloom for a long period. Any medium can get loaded with fertilizer salts, and when it does, it is poisonous to phal roots. Sphag especially can turn sour very fast. It can also become compacted and then does not hold enough air.

Sometimes the grower puts new medium in the pot to make the plant look good. But this has the effect of concealing the old medium, which can be pretty far gone. I have unpotted phals potted in sphag that stink of mustiness and rot from sour sphag.
The Following User Says Thank You to mehitabel For This Useful Post:
sanibel57 (05-29-2009)
Old 05-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Member Photobucket

hulaorchid is on a distinguished road
WELCOME!! Glad to have you here!
sanibel57 (05-29-2009)
Old 05-29-2009, 07:26 PM

Thanks for all the info on repotting my orchid

Thank you so much for all of your replies. I will attempt a repot and then let you all know how I did. I have to admit I am a little nervous but there is such goo advice on this site that I feel more confident about repotting. The plant looks healthy so I think it will be ok. I will definitly try the bark for my repotting medium. Thank again for the advice and the welcome!
Old 05-29-2009, 07:38 PM

One more question

Hello all!

One more question. What types of pots do you like to repot your plant in? I have seen plastic and clay mostly. I just wondered if they type of pot matters very much? Thanks!
Old 05-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,354 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
myself I would not worry to much about the roots growing out of the pot like that Phals are quiet happy like that.
having said the above yes I would do a repot because as you can see the orchid is being pushed up by the roots.
I would also agree with the small to medium sized orchid bark mix the long roots that are growing out of the pot you can try very gently to place them inside the pot as well.

once the plant is removed from the pot and all the old medium has been removed you can soak the roots for about twenty min making the roots more manageable
sanibel57 (05-29-2009)
Old 05-30-2009, 01:48 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Plastic pots in general are used more often than clay pots for phals - especially the clear type - where you can view the moisture levels and root health through the pots. Of course many people also do wonderfully utilizing the clay pots - each would work if the culture is managed appropriately. Some even successfully grow phals in NO pot! However most phals that are mounted on bark (no pots) need a humid environment and frequent watering - usually in greenhouses or tropical locations. If you repot in bark be sure and soak the bark for 24 hours or longer first - this will help the bark hold more water initially and for longer. Plants put into fresh bark that has not been soaked often go through a difficult acclimation period and become semi-dehydrated. As you continue to grow and collect phals you may want to eventually try some other media types or mixes. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to mayres For This Useful Post:
sanibel57 (05-30-2009)
Old 05-30-2009, 01:03 PM

Smile Thanks, off to repot!

Thank you for the info. I am off to get my supplies and start the repotting process!
Old 05-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

trinigirl is on a distinguished road
Should be exciting to do the repot! Can't wait for pics of the new phal home!