Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Plant lady

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2018, 10:43 AM

Plant lady is on a distinguished road
Dendrobium cane

Hi everyone! This is my very first post here and I am hoping someone might be able to help me

I have/had a dedrobium phal. and sadly it started to decline.

Some of its canes slowly loosed all their leaves and started rotting at their base

I wasn't concerned about the lost leaves, but when I noticed that the base started to go mushy I removed it from the pot and took a closer look at the roots...

All were black and mushy

I kept this poor plant in its original pot and media it came in, because it was still in flower. I cut the flower spike and all the roots... I actually cut the mushy bit of the two leafless canes as well.

I keep them in a jar with some moist spagnum moss, and I noticed new growth on one of the canes... I hope I can save at least some of the plant

But one of the leafless cane started growing bumps and cracking as it is trying to push out something... I am hoping for some keikis... but I don't want to have my hopes too high. I will try to post some pictures of the cane in question.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice, I greatly appreciate it!

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2018, 10:48 AM

First 3 pictures of the leafless cane with the bumps, last 2 are from the new growth

Old 03-17-2018, 10:13 AM

switchblade is on a distinguished road
likely keikis its trying its best to survive. u may get tiny baby orchids on the cane but you will need to make sure u bot them in proper media to avoid rot
Old 03-17-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchblade View Post
likely keikis its trying its best to survive. u may get tiny baby orchids on the cane but you will need to make sure u bot them in proper media to avoid rot
Thank you

Sadly I was waiting too long for the flowers to finish before I tried to pot it on and didn't noticed that the point where the canes joined were under the media the plant came in...

I have those 2 canes on top of some spagnum moss at the moment, keeping my fingers crossed and praying for a miracle...

This little guy is not something extra rare or super pretty... but it is special to me, it's my first ever hard cane Dendrobium, I would hate to loose it...

Here is a picture of the flowers... hope to see them in the future!!!

Old 03-17-2018, 03:40 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,421 Times in 1,247 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
You will possibly save either with new growth or keiki like said above.

I think this is just too moist in winter that has caused this? They don't want to be too moist and cool in winter. Do you let it dry out? If you save it I wouldn't like to see it happen against next time.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolero View Post
You will possibly save either with new growth or keiki like said above.

I think this is just too moist in winter that has caused this? They don't want to be too moist and cool in winter. Do you let it dry out? If you save it I wouldn't like to see it happen against next time.
I bought this plant sometime early November in the local swedish furniture shop, it was in flower, also had another spike full of buds and I was waiting for it to finish flowering... Sadly didn't noticed in time that the bottom of the canes was rotting... Shortly after this one, I bought another dendrobium, that plant is thriving.

When I finally repotted this plant, it had a massive ball of spagnum moss around the roots...Not sure what the rest of the potting media was, but it was very fine, peat moss type of material.

I am very careful of my watering, especially in winter time... I was really sad when I saw this plant was in such bad shape.

I do have a nobile type Dendrobium for more than a year and I did give it a dry winter rest, managed to reflower it

Since I got this plant purchased some other Dens (as a Christmas present for myself), most of them arrived in dormancy. I did not watered them until I saw the new growth/buds emerging. Currently have a Den loddigesii in full bloom, I am looking after it since the first week of January...

I had the bare canes in a jar with the spagnum moss, and was happy and surprised to see the little bumps... I moved them to a long plastic box, monitoring them carefully and hoping for the best.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:33 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,421 Times in 1,247 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
I find it really unethical that some people sell plants which clearly are unhealthy. Please don't give up enjoying this one, it has a chance but will take time.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolero View Post
I find it really unethical that some people sell plants which clearly are unhealthy. Please don't give up enjoying this one, it has a chance but will take time.
Thank you so much for your advice and support!

Yes, I would definitely try to save this orchid no matter how long it takes. I will post here updates on it's progress .

Thank you again!

Bolero likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Plant lady For This Useful Post:
Bolero (03-18-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant lady View Post
Thank you so much for your advice and support!

Yes, I would definitely try to save this orchid no matter how long it takes. I will post here updates on it's progress .

Thank you again!

A little update...

The canes in the jar are doing well, new growth is appearing!!!

Those in the plastic box are showing slow but steady growth as well... hope everything will go well!

Old 04-07-2018, 04:15 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,253 Times in 944 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
Congratulations! They are responding to your careful attentions.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmom View Post
Congratulations! They are responding to your careful attentions.
Thank you, Fishmom!
I am really happy they do!

I am excited it is working! I was devastated for loosing a plant and by trying to save it I learned so much!

I actually joined the Irish Orchid Soceity and I hope to learn more about how to keep my plants happy. I am also very grateful for all the information and support I am getting here!

Kind regards, Esther

Old 04-29-2018, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,874 Times in 2,959 Posts
syndywindy is on a distinguished road
You’re showing great patience in getting your Den to rejuvenate itself. I have well over 100 Dens and hate loosing any plant. Nice thing about most Dens is that you can take a piece of the cane and lay it across moist Shoah and more often than not get it to form new growths. A long process for sure but it’s a good learning process. As Bolero said Dens like cooler temps, brighter light and less water in winter. I’ve got many that don’t see water for a couple months and even my Phal type Dens get a huge reduction in watering come winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life is Good Today! Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorrow.

Synda
Old 05-07-2018, 06:34 AM

Hi Syndywindy!

Thank you so much for the advice and encouragment!!!

I love Dendrobium orchids, I wish to see your collection!!!

I was prepared it will tale a good while until anything happens to my canes...actually I added a few more to the original ones, just to "recycle" them instead throwing away the old, lifeless looking roothless canes...and hey presto!

Those canes in the jar have great new growths, and in the box on the moss there are little baby orchids!!! Interesting to see the difference between the Den's...I got nobile type, phal type and loddigesii in there! The original, phal type is still getting ready, the nobile type grew a baby from a bud and the loddigesii, the last one I put in there grew the biggest plantlet. I am not surprised, knowing their vigor...

Thanks again!

Eszter

Tapatalkkal küldve az én Lenovo P2a42 eszközömr?l