Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Leafmite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2016, 09:55 PM

Kellynyc is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Collar rot - orchid revival?

Hello- back in September I received an orchid a a gift and have been very careful about not over watering. Unfortunately it looks like the orchid has collar rot the leaves started to fall off 1 by one from the bottom after turning yellow. After two of the 4 leaves dropped, I pulled the plant out of the pot to look at the roots - they were all rotten. I trimmed all of the dead roots and left 2 not so good looking but not mushy roots and one air root. I then sprinkled some cinnamon on the roots and base and put it in a vaise suspended above water (not touching) and covered it with a ziplock bag. It looked ok after a few days, but then today I noticed there was white mold by the base. I removed the orchid from the vaise and cleaned it with alcohol. After letting it dry for the day another leaf was gone with one leaf left I sprinkled cinnamon again and then potted it in a new pot with new bark and moss. The plant has 1 leaf, 2 small roots, 1 air root and a tall green spike that looks healthy. Below is a photo of it with 2 leaves right when it was in the vaise and bag and then today in the new pot. Any chance it can make it or anything else I should be doing? Was a gift from my dad so will be very sad if it doesn't make it and am willing to do whatever it takes to get it healthy again! Thanks for any help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 01-27-2016, 06:30 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,013 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
I would not use cinnamon or alcohol on the roots. I did that a long time ago and it killed the roots. Fortunately, for me, the orchid did grow new roots and recovered.
If the rotting has stopped, your best bet it to soak it in distilled water with Seaweed/kelp added (you can find this on Amazon or a hydroponics store, just look for something with high ratings) to stimulate root growth and then just hang it in the vase, keep water at the bottom for humidity (don't let the roots touch), soak it once a day in the seaweed/kelp mixture and just wait. Waiting is very difficult but that is all you can do. Phals tend to do everything slowly so it may take time before something happens.
If the orchid came from a big box store, you could go and browse one and see if you find the same orchid, a replacement...just in case. Around Valentine's Day, there are often many available. Certainly the first one has sentimental meaning and it would be great if it recovers but it is also wonderful to have a living orchid to remind you of your father's love, too.
Good luck! I hope you can save it!
gingerhill likes this.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:00 AM

gingerhill is on a distinguished road
Leafmite is correct that cinnamon will dry out the roots and possible kill them. I have had pretty good luck with Phals with few roots by potting them up in bark with perlite, and just being very careful to not overwater . The kelp may help also. It took about a year to get really nice roots. Also might help to cut the spike off to save strength in the plant.

Tags
diseases, help please?, phal help, rot roots, yellow leaves