Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By katrina
  • 1 Post By sunshine
  • 1 Post By SK7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 05:38 PM

jchandra is on a distinguished road
Cold Damage

Here we go again, so I received this plant in the mail today (I ordered it prior to receiving my last ruined plants). There is obvious cold damage; the leaves on this catt are dark green/black and wrinkled. It looks like the pseudobulbs are still green, although a little wrinkled. Can it be saved? I'm afraid to cut off all the leaves... Any advice?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130223_105412.jpg (31.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20130223_105432.jpg (26.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20130223_105437.jpg (24.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 02-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
The ONLY time I order plants in the Winter is when we are having a warm spell and then I still order and pay for overnight shipping just in case the weather guys mess up.

I would wait and watch it. If the leaves begin to go mushy...at that point cut the leaves but if the pbulbs are still firm then leave those. For now just leave them and watch it.

If you lose all the leaves it's possible the plant will still recover...IF the pbulbs are still good...IF it has viable roots...and, IF at least one of the eyes is still viable. Lots of "IFs" there, I know....just have to cross your fingers and hope.
Catt Mandu likes this.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,656 Times in 2,212 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road
I concur with katrina. As long as the pbulbs are firm you should be ok. I had some catts survive the deep freeze at my house. So I'm just waiting and watching. Even if you do have to cut the leaves remember all the nutrients are all in the pbulb abd this is where the plant will draw it's energy from to send out new roots and growth. So for right now just give it the best catt culture possible.
Catt Mandu likes this.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000209739937
Old 02-23-2013, 07:33 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Growing orchids is an ongoing learning experience for all of us!

If there is a plant that you really want or need to order during the winter, there are some precautions that you can take. Still a risk, but maybe an acceptable one if you can work out the extra costs and handling with the seller.

1. Ship overnight as Katrina suggests.
2. Ask the shipper to double-box. Inside box with the well-wrapped plant in it, set inside a larger box, packing material separating the two boxes.
3. Ship to a location where the package stays warm until you pick it up (maybe your office, or have it held by the courier until you can pick it up).
4. If you ask a grower to do this, it only makes sense that the risk to do so belongs to you.

Before the days of Fedex and overnight shipping, I sent my entire orchid collection from Puerto Rico to the mainland U.S. bare-root in a couple of thick-walled styrofoam coolers enclosed in cardboard boxes (I think the bare-root thing was a USDA requirement at the time - no "soil" allowed). Shipped them in December, they arrived 2 or 3 weeks later in Georgia, no frozen plants, even though it was in the 20s F at night in Georgia.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:45 AM

orchidaddict789 is on a distinguished road
I just received my first entirely frozen plant today. Its leaves looked exactly like yours--dark, mushy, it's a goner because it doesn't have bulbs, or any unaffected plant parts.

About your catt--I think it'll survive because it has nice bulbs. I put my catt outside in 25 deg weather as a cold tolerance experiment, and its leaves turned to mush, but its bulbs are still alive. It's been 2 months since I concluded my experiment, and the plant is still alive, albeit quite ugly.

As a disclaimer, I am not a deliberate orchid murderer. I love my orchids very much, but that particular catt was so overrun with mealies and scale that it had no active growing eyes and I had literally given up.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:54 AM

SK7 is on a distinguished road
Some venders/growers offer to send 72 hr heat packs with plants for cold climates.
Catt Mandu likes this.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:53 AM

ACK2 is on a distinguished road
I just got about two weeks ago two orders. One from Hausermann (big sale) and they included heat packs, the other from J&L in CT. Both orders came in just fine. I was willing to do this because both stand behind their orders. If any of the orchids were damaged they would have been replaced.

Can you let the sender know it came in frozen??

" The various contrivances and adaptation of orchids vastly transcend those which the most fertile imagination of the world's most imaginative man could dream up with unlimited time with his disposal."
Darwin
Old 02-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,512 Times in 743 Posts
Ray is on a distinguished road
I agree. Heat packs are the only way to go this time of year. Even if a plant is coming from southern CA to FL, it's gonna be exposed to cold en-route.

I have successfully shipped blooming plants to Alaska in February, but they have to be packed right.

I'll also agree that the vendor has the responsibility to do the right thing. I may charge you for the extra wrapping and heat packs, but if the plant sustains damage, that responsibility remains with me.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:55 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
Did the package sit outside after it was delivered or does this happen during transport? I have recieved plants during the winter and never have they been damaged, even when it is unexpectedly cold (but I always have someone awaiting the package to take it in right away). One of my vendors has been holding my plant since Christmas as it has been quite cold this winter but Hausermann's and Logees both sent my orders and they arrived just fine. It is to be in the upper 30's so maybe I will finally get the other?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Member Photobucket

OrchidLoverMD is on a distinguished road
I've ordered in the winter with no problems, except several weeks ago. I had a Psychopsis Kalihi and a Paph. Urbanianium. The Paph came fine, the Psychopsis was damaged by the cold. Two of the leaves got rubbery, welted and curled in half the night they arrived and it just got worse from there. I called the grower to let them know what had happened (I didn't know it had been cold damaged). He offered to send out a new one. I've been waiting two weeks now for it to warm up as he doesn't want to chance the replacement being damaged. I'm telling you I dont understand how this plant got damaged because it was packaged well and had heat packs but it does happen. A reputable grower will stand behind their product. Call them and let them know the plants arrived damaged...

Monica
Old 02-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Member Photobucket

OrchidLoverMD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafmite View Post
Did the package sit outside after it was delivered or does this happen during transport? I have recieved plants during the winter and never have they been damaged, even when it is unexpectedly cold (but I always have someone awaiting the package to take it in right away). One of my vendors has been holding my plant since Christmas as it has been quite cold this winter but Hausermann's and Logees both sent my orders and they arrived just fine. It is to be in the upper 30's so maybe I will finally get the other?
Just a passing comment:
You can't rely on FedEx to ring the bell when they deliver the package. I've been home during several deliveries, have seen the truck pull up, walk up the drive and plop the box in front of my door and not ring the bell (even though the box clearly states the contents are live plants and perishable).

Monica
Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 PM

LovePhals is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidaddict789 View Post
I just received my first entirely frozen plant today. Its leaves looked exactly like yours--dark, mushy, it's a goner because it doesn't have bulbs, or any unaffected plant parts.

About your catt--I think it'll survive because it has nice bulbs. I put my catt outside in 25 deg weather as a cold tolerance experiment, and its leaves turned to mush, but its bulbs are still alive. It's been 2 months since I concluded my experiment, and the plant is still alive, albeit quite ugly.

As a disclaimer, I am not a deliberate orchid murderer. I love my orchids very much, but that particular catt was so overrun with mealies and scale that it had no active growing eyes and I had literally given up.
I am glad you explained putting it outside in 25 degree weather, I was wondering why you would do that! But mealies are horrible to rid.....