Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2016, 09:17 PM

Canadianorchidz is on a distinguished road
Can an orchid be too big?

I have a phal that is getting so big, and leaning that it pulls its top roots out of the medium. Can a phal be too big? What should I do?
Old 10-19-2016, 06:13 AM

Thanked 1,275 Times in 397 Posts
Nugget is on a distinguished road
If the bottom section of the plant & root system is still very healthy, not much you can do except repot it into a bigger pot. It the bottom section is bad, cut it off & go from there.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:19 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
I think you will find as your phal ages that it will probably get more and more aerial roots (not in the media). Many aged/mature phalaenopsis photos throughout the internet - many with 15+ leaves and roots all over the place. Try going to google and search for something like "Huge phalaenopsis". Many times they are potted up into large clay pots with holes and the roots come out all over.....
Old 10-22-2016, 02:56 PM

Thank you both. As someone who is new to orchids t's hard to know what is normal or average for a phal and what I should be concerned about. I live in a small town so there isn't much vareity for pots but I am going to try and some clay ones.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:57 AM
Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Ladyofthelakes is on a distinguished road
I have a huge white Phal that has a bottom leaf that is 14 and 3/4 inches long. I love this Phal, it has bloomed for me 3 times. The flower is huge also. It seems in my foggy distant memory that some of our geeks over in the South Eastern countries have some large Phals growing.

I just repotted mine last week in a deeper pot, 8 inches deep. It is growing lopsided because of the weight so I put a egg sized stone on top to help keep those roots covered and in the pot.

Life is GOOD

Please support Pet Rescue See our little Ozzy http://www.pekeatzurescue.com/2006adopted.htm Viv & Al
Old 11-06-2016, 02:51 AM

Thanks for your replies! I did end up repotting it and Im glad I did because there were some rotten roots! Im surprised because it wasnt in spag it was in charcoal and bark?? ANy ideas what the cause could have been? ANyway I put it in a clear container, its shallow but wide because that was the shape of the root ball and he is a little straighter now, at least so that the roots are below the medium. Hopefully he does well!
Old 11-07-2016, 07:35 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,374 Times in 3,085 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
The charcoal could have been old and holding toxins (salts, minerals) the roots didn't like so they were dying. Or, even in a chunky mix, there bouts of too much water. Or, the roots were just old and had lived their life. Or, maybe a combo of any of those. As long as it's healthy and doing well and you removed the dead ones...I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you see it progressing.