Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > The Orchid Geeks > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 09:59 AM

iamhisru is on a distinguished road
bottom leaves turning yellow on edges

HELP! I'm looking for some information. I am a novice orchid grower of about 3 years. All of my "grocery store" bought plants (6) were doing fine until 3 months ago; when the closest leaves to the soil started to get a yellow edge on them. They are slowly turning yellow all over. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? The upper 4 or so leaves seem to be staying healthy. Since it is happening to all the plants, is this contagious?

Last edited by iamhisru; 04-06-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:54 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,013 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
Sometimes the bottom leaves die when they age. Hopefully, that is what is happening. When you make five posts, you can share a photo so we can see what is really happening.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:53 PM

Antonia is on a distinguished road
How many leaves is each plant losing? As Leafmite says, it is pretty normal that orchids shed some bottom leaves from time to time,. A Picture will give more hints about the situation. Good luck!
Old 12-22-2016, 02:36 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,238 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
Phaelanopsis in nature grow down not upside down (growing up) in a pot. search (Phalaenopsis orchid photo in situ) and see how they look in nature.

the plants take bright light when grown naturally. They are in the Vanda family.

The leaves have a ridge on the top (bottom in a pot) that separates the leaves when the plant is growing down. This allows sunlight to bounce into the middle leaves. When it is upside down in a pot the leaves fall down on each other and the bottom leaves do not get any light. Without light the plant does not produce food from that leaf and without food production the plant has no need to keep that leaf alive. So it lets the leaf die.

As long as sthe top leaves keep growing the Phal will do OK
Old 12-22-2016, 06:11 PM
V.I.P Member

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Per the first 2 replies, it is likely 'leaf old age', and yellowing /shedding one or 2 leaves is natural. Shedding more than that could be a problem.