Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By katrina
  • 3 Post By Ray
  • 1 Post By digriz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 07:13 AM

tash123 is on a distinguished road
Best type of pot to use for Phalaenopsis

Just wondering what the best pot would be.. Terra cotta, plastic or any type? Any idea where I can get one in Newfoundland
Old 08-09-2014, 07:37 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,388 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Clay or plastic...either is fine. The only pot type that most feel you should avoid is glazed ceramic. I don't know if it's true but some say something in the glazing materials could be problematic for orchid roots. ?? That's what I've read anyway.

As for where you can get something in Newfoundland...sorry, no clue. Just about any store w/a garden center should carry a variety of pots and planters. If you can't find something locally...there are many online vendors and plastic would be cheaper to ship.
Catt Mandu and Antonia like this.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:44 AM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,512 Times in 743 Posts
Ray is on a distinguished road
That's an incomplete question, Tash, or if not that, you have not provided enough information to allow a reasonable answer.

I say that because "what's best" depends upon the plant's needs, and how the pot, the potting medium, your temperature, humidity, light levels and air flow, and your fastidiousness (i.e, how much you like to "mess with" your plants) interact to meet those needs.

As we know the plant, hence the fact that it likes it warm, with a constantly moist and airy root zone, we have pretty much established its needs, so if you can tell us about your conditions and tendencies, we can probably come up with some recommendation on potting medium and pot. If you already have some potting medium, that'll narrow the recommendations further.

Without that info, all you'll get are what's best for others in their conditions, which might be "plant torture" in yours.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:56 AM

tash123 is on a distinguished road
Newfoundland has a maritime climate. This means generally that summers are shorter and colder than in a continental climate.July average temperatures in around 14C, but iaverages may climb over 16C. Occasionally, maximum temperatures can even rise to as high as 30C. winter temperatures average between -6C and -10C, the winter average is between -2C and -4C.

The relative humidity typically ranges from 62% (mildly humid) to 97% (very humid) over the course of the year, rarely dropping below 35% (comfortable) and reaching as high as 100% (very humid).
Old 08-09-2014, 09:27 AM

Antonia is on a distinguished road
Indeed, it depends on your plant's needs, but don't worry, the Internet is always there to help!
If you cannot find what you are looking for in your area, home-made solutions are always available. Once in my newbie days, I had to do an emergency repot for my dying Cattleya and, as I didn't know where to find clear plastic pots and I had to repot ASAP, I bought a clear plastic kitchen container and adapted it by myself to become a Catt's pot. There are a lot of tutorials in Youtube for doing so, and so far my catt healed and now it's doing great. If you try to adapt your own pots at home don't forget that what you need is to provide enough ventilation for the roots as well as optimal drainage. Good luck!
Old 08-09-2014, 05:14 PM

MattWoelfsen is on a distinguished road
I would get this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407618776.736700.jpg

I do not know if this vendor ships to Canada, but you can get this pot from here:

http://firstrays.com/cart/Horticultu...h-Air-Cone-Pot
Old 08-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Executive Senior Member

trev is on a distinguished road
Hi tash! I usually prefer pots with side holes, it allows for more drainage and air circulation at the root zone. I have used glazed ceramic pots but always with side holes or in some cases multiple holes. You can use glazed pots with no holes as an outer pot, but you have to keep the Phal in another inner container with drainage holes, so you pull the inner pot out, water the Phal, allow it to drain and return inner pot to the decorative glazed pot.

As to where you can get them..try your local garden supplies store..maybe they have one, or try online, but ask about their cost of shipping, may not be practical if you just need one. Unless you want to stock some more then go for it.

Some will just improvise like getting a sturdy plastic container and put slits on the sides and below. That will work too, if you cannot source out one right away.

Good luck! Hope you find one!
Old 08-31-2014, 04:12 AM

RNCollins is on a distinguished road
For pots and orchid supplies check out Kelley's Korner. They have something called BONGO that will ship orders internationally.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:36 AM

digriz is on a distinguished road
I have Phals in both and they will grow in either. Clay is porous and can dry faster and the roots can sometimes stick so thoroughly to the clay pots that I've had to break the pots to get the orchid out. Then again there have been times I've had to cut away a plastic pot because the roots were coming out the holes in the bottom.
SamIAm likes this.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:30 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
My species phals are grown in my preferred manner. They are either in 'net'/'basket' pots or mounted. The ones in the pots are in expanded clay pellets topped with moss. I place the pots in clear, plastic containers for humidity. The roots grow out of the baskets and I can easily see that they are happy. It is very easy to see if they need watered or, when it is chilly in the home, to dry them out to prevent rot.
I have two noID orchids. One is my daughter's and she likes the decorative pot in which it came. This pot has an inner clear plastic lining. I re-potted the orchid in its inner lining with expanded clay pellets and put it back in the decorative pot. It is quite easy to fill up the entire thing with water, let it soak, then dump out the water.
The other noID orchid 'glued' itself to the 'eco' pot in which it came. I removed the moss without disturbing the roots and just poked the expanded clay pellets between them and tapped the pot on the table to help them settle. I water the same way as the other noID. It is also doing very well.
So, in my opinion, phals are not too picky about how they are grown as long as the watering and medium is tailored to what is chosen.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:03 PM

Tommyr is on a distinguished road
I prefer clear plastic pots so I can see if the plant needs watering easier. I'm normally a phal killer but bought a 'Golden embers' last December and it's STILL alive!
Old 11-09-2018, 11:00 AM

Orkid Momma is on a distinguished road
I have some dark Net Pots, not sure if they will be ok to use, but might try them after more research.

Orkid Momma

Hurricane, Utah
Old 11-09-2018, 11:32 PM
V.I.P Member

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
I usually use terracotta pots here in Georgia to increase drying in the root zone (through wicking and evaporation). That is because it is very humid here.

Since you're in Utah where it is arid, I would use plastic pots that limit evaporation. Clear or opaque is a matter of personal preference; that plants won't care.